PDA

View Full Version : purchasing a T6

keith718
05-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Im getting ready to purchase a T6. I would like to know if there are performance upgrades to the T6 engine(that won't be a mechanical or technical problem down the road). Are there larger intercoolers available for the turbos? Also does the 68 extra horsepower make a difference as opposed to the T5?

Thanks
Keith :)

Mr. LP
05-30-2006, 07:05 PM
i hear the ECU upgrade is pretty huge. I did a K&N which is really simple and pretty cheap. It is minimal (8-10 hp) but a little is better than none at all. I know some people in this forum do not like the K&N idea, search and read the discussion.

Let us know what you do and how you like it.

LP

Raynald
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Take a look at BSR PPC Tuning (http://www.bsrab.se/products/n312/t/). I've done it on my V70XC and works fine for me. I'm not an expert nor a pro, but it makes a noticeable difference, more in the 80-120 km/h range.

Big
05-30-2006, 10:38 PM
I would like to know if there are performance upgrades to the T6 engine(that won't be a mechanical or technical problem down the road). Are there larger intercoolers available for the turbos? Also does the 68 extra horsepower make a difference as opposed to the T5? The transmission on the T6 is a weak link which prevents performance upgrades from having much benefit. A 2.5T (the T5 is a different engine not available on the XC90) with ECU upgrade actually has slightly better acceleration because the transmission is not hobbled. Add exhaust mods for extra punch although the cost is so high you might think of getting a V8 instead.

keith718
05-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Im not sure what year (I think it's '05) they came out with the V8. I just dont think the V8 will fall into my budget. I keep on hearing issues with this T6 Tranny..... It's starting to concern me. Is the extra horse power worth it. Sixty HP should be a significant difference. Has anyone done a comparison other than the car magazine writers? :confused:

Big
05-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Im not sure what year (I think it's '05) they came out with the V8. I just dont think the V8 will fall into my budget. I keep on hearing issues with this T6 Tranny..... It's starting to concern me. Is the extra horse power worth it. Sixty HP should be a significant difference. Has anyone done a comparison other than the car magazine writers? :confused: I assume you are buying used since the T6 has been replaced. And I'm not sure about a 60 hp increase, probably more like half that with just an ECU upgrade. According to IPD out of Portland, Oregon who sell the Swedish TME upgrades, the 0-60 mph times as measured on a G-Tech performance meter:

stock 2.5T = 8.4 sec
stock T6 = 8.6 sec

ECU & exhaust upgrade 2.5T = 7.6 sec
ECU & exhaust upgrade T6 = 8.2 sec
Upgrading both ECU & exhaust costs $1890 plus exhaust installation.

Of particular interest are the torque figures:

stock 2.5T = 236 lbs-ft
stock T6 = 280 lbs-ft

ECU & exhaust upgrade 2.5T = 310 lbs-ft
ECU & exhaust upgrade T6 = 320 lbs-ft

So, you don't gain much from a standing start by upgrading the T6 because of torque limiting software in the tranny to protect it. Where the T6 outperforms the 2.5T is at highway passing speeds such as 50-80 mph.

Bottom line is that you can get a little boost in the T6 but it is not really the best engine for that. If you can't afford a V8 or the new I6, perhaps the 2.5T is a better choice for modifications.

keith718
05-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks alot LP.
That was some good info. I will re think this T6 issue. It seems Im not really gaining much by purchasing a T6 over a 2.5T AWD

Mr. LP
06-02-2006, 07:26 AM
i do 50,000 KM a year (30K miles) and it is 90% hwy. I like the power of the T6 on the hwy. If you do mostly city driving the 2.5 may be a better choice, but for hwy, i think the T6 (or v8) is the way to go. that is just my opinion.

LP

dmd
06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
2.5T has plenty of power unless you are a power monger. Plenty of power
on the freeway, and getting up to speed. Have been in the mountians of
California at 10,000 and it was just fine. I seem to have plenty
of power to dash past any other SUV from a light (Unless they have a V8).

If towing then the larger motor doesnt gain any additional towing weight, stopping is the most important issue when towing with a car, and trans
issues for a vehicle that wasent really designed for towing.