PDA

View Full Version : 03xc @ 10k miles

budrichard
09-01-2003, 08:42 AM
Except for a one time hard to shift auto trans and a one time gas lid failure to open when the vehicle was new, the 03XC has been absolutely troublefree since then for 10K miles, off and and on road. Our 99XC is at 80K trouble free miles(engine mounts replaced at 50K under Volvo extended warrenty) and our 87 740 is at 275 with an intermittant starting problem. Neither the 03 or 99 XC has ever failed to get us there and back!
Both my wife and I prefer the 03XC for it's roomier interior and softer ride on the highway. The 99XC is now primarily a secondary road vehicle and the 03XC is for the I System with it's added safety features. On the whole, I am about 95% satisfied with Volvo. -Dick

barrysharp
09-01-2003, 10:32 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (budrichard @ Sep. 01 2003,08:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Except for a one time hard to shift auto trans and a one time gas lid failure to open when the vehicle was new, the 03XC has been absolutely troublefree since then for 10K miles, off and and on road. Our 99XC is at 80K trouble free miles(engine mounts replaced at 50K under Volvo extended warrenty) and our 87 740 is at 275 with an intermittant starting problem. Neither the 03 or 99 XC has ever failed to get us there and back&#33;
Both my wife and I prefer the 03XC for it&#39;s roomier interior and softer ride on the highway. The 99XC is now primarily a secondary road vehicle and the 03XC is for the I System with it&#39;s added safety features. On the whole, I am about 95% satisfied with Volvo. -Dick[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Dick:

This is very good news and bodes well for us XC70 owners. Of course there will always be exceptions. My &#39;86 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo diesel is still pulling strongly (especially uphill where one will first notice poor engine performance). Plastics remain my one peeve and there&#39;s really no soln in preserving these components for the long term.

I&#39;m curious about the &#39;99XC engine mount replacement. Why was this done -- were they disintegrating and/or did they fail completely? I&#39;ve had mine replaced on the &#39;86 745 some time back mainly as a result of them failing and pinching the engine wiring harness that was causing all dash warning lights flashing at times when negotiating small road disturbances. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif It appears that engine soiling with oil and crud impairs the mounting rubber material at an alarming rate -- at least this was in my case with the diesel as it blows oil and crud around more so than for gaoline engines.

Thanks for your posting. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

budrichard
09-02-2003, 06:26 AM
During routine servicing, the tech noticed vibration/mount cracking and replaced the effected mounts. I never noticed anything while driving. The engine compartment is very clean with no oil anywhere. -Dick