PDA

View Full Version : Connecting iPod Adapter to CD changer

Quofiend
05-09-2006, 07:10 AM
I have a Harmon Karadon Drive+Play iPod adapter that I'd like to fit into the CX70. My volvo dealer tells me that even if I find an adapter that will feed the audio LINE IN, into the CD Changer socket, this will not work since a software download is required for the HU803 in order that it recognises that the CD Changer is 'active' and therefore lists it in the 'SOURCE' . Currently I do not have a CD changer. Just the CD in the HU. I do have the Sat Nav. My question is multiple.
1 - Is the dealer right ? Just seems that others are using the adapers eg. USA SPEC with no reference to downloads.
2 - Could I feed an audio line in to 'overide' or hijack the current standard CD audio feed fron the Head Unit. ie. NOT THE CHANGER option. This would work for me since who needs the CD player with an iPod.
3 - Where in the car are the units ? i.e.
In my XC70, where is the CD Changer port and where is the Amp. I'm led to believe that these are not all in the HU.
Anyone any ideas ? Any diagrams of where these units are.
I also have the TV Receiver and Sat Nav option.
As you can tell... I dont know my XC70 as well as I should. !!! :-)
Oh.. I know there is an FM option with the Drive+Play, but again the dealer claims it wont work because hte Volvo ariel is integrated and cannot be spliced into ???

plainv70
05-09-2006, 10:12 AM
peruse this linK: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=32512&page=16 and checkout Crutchfield for an adapter, too, as well as searching on ipod adapter for a ton of installation info.

You may not need a download, many have hooked up their iPods and their HU's have immediately recognized the iPod & adapter--as a cd changer. I'm guessing that yours will, too.

The cd-changer input is on the back of the HU. The HU-803 has a built-in amp for the center channel and an external amp, under the front passenger seat, for the other speakers. http://www.geocities.com/scotjo/ipod/ipodinstall.html

If I understand your 2nd question correctly, no you can't feed an audio signal in without some kind of adapter. The cd changer channel, which the iPod uses, is a a proprietary digital input, Mitsubishi's MELBUS network. Doing the same in the HU would probably be a lot of work. Someone has done it using the cassette circuitry, but again, it required taking the HU apart and modding it.

Drive+Play implementation in a Volvo must use the FM transmitter option. It cannot be directly wired into the HU. Volvo and usa-spec make direct to HU iPod adapters with limited functionality. They can be installed in 1-2 hours. If you want a more full featured adapter check out the Swedespeed link above. Since you have a TV receiver, I believe that Ed_mgr's adapter on Swedespeed will eventually allow you to hook up a dvd player to your system.

Check out this forum and the others, there is a lot of info and pictures about the things that you are inquiring about.

Quofiend
05-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Massive thanks for the response. Some great info there. It was v useful.

Well despite the Volvo dealer being absolutely definitive that there is no way you can even connect via FM, my local Car Audio guys hooked up the Harman within an hour via the FM option....... sounds excellent. Occasional breakup of the 'S' sound on some of the vocals at high volume...... not sure if this is my iPOD, the FM or the speakers blown..... need to do some testing.

Anyone any views on the merits of Pro Dolby or NOT for iPod connections ?
I have 320K mp3 tracks. Turned the Equaliser of the ipod OFF.

I love the ability to select tracks , playlists, albums , genres etc that the "Drive+Play" offfers.

As for the Crutchfield and USA SpEC reference.. Crutchfield will not ship the USA SPEC products outside USA. So much for global use of the net. Otherwise the PA-11 looked a good option and in theory you could connect the Harmon direct to the PA-11 adaptor that uses the CD Changer input and get the absolute best of both worlds.
Thanks again.

Jack
05-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Quofiend,

Glad you found a solution that works well for you.

FWIW, IPD sells the USA-Spec and ships internationally, though they're a bit more expensive than Crutchfield. There are also units from other companies that make products with the same functionality but aren't as widely distributed. It takes a bit of Googling to find them.

Alex J
05-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I just got the USA-Spec promptly shipped from the US from this source:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=726