PDA

View Full Version : iPod options for HU803

Andrew_72
04-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi,

Have recently realised a long held dream of owning an XC70 with the purchase of a 2001 SE model (Australian spec) in very good condition.

I'm aware of the Volvo ipod adapter and also the USA-Spec one, but was wondering if there are any others on the market that would suit the HU803?

Cheers,
Andrew

dr.tb.xc
05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi,

Have recently realised a long held dream of owning an XC70 with the purchase of a 2001 SE model (Australian spec) in very good condition.

I'm aware of the Volvo ipod adapter and also the USA-Spec one, but was wondering if there are any others on the market that would suit the HU803?

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew. My XC came with an HU-613, so I can't address your question directly. But I, too, was eager to have my 60Gig iPod incorperated into my audio system. After much research (including reading of problems others had with the Volvo and USA-Spec adapters) I elected to replace my head unit with an Alpine CDA-9857 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sLo40vsrfNu/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?c=3&g=300&I=500CDA9857&s=0&cc=01) , which, if purchased from Crutchfield, currently includes shipping, the $30 U.S. iPod "Full Speed" adapter cable, wiring harness adapters and a Volvo dash insert adapter (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-kGhZmNOAkp8/prodview.asp?s=0&c=11&g=112200&I=120999223&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N#specials) to replace the OEM one.

I've also purchased two sets of compontent (front) and 3-way (rear) Infinity Kappa series door speakers, a 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect sub, high-power amps for all and a 1.5 farad capacitor for the sub amp. Since it's going to take me a while to build a custom sub enclosure and fabricate the adapters for the door speakers I've kept myself content by installing the head unit for now. Not counting the time spent soldering the Volvo wiring harness adapters to the Alpine's wiring harness (which I did at my kitchen table), the ENTIRE removal of the OEM unit and installation of the Alpine took about 30 minutes!

Once the audio controls were tweaked it sounded much better than the OEM unit, even with the cheap paper Volvo speakers. The control of the iPod with this unit is fantastic! To my knowledge, this unit gives the best interface for the iPod. All the tract/artist/album/etc. info scrolls across the easily readable "BioLite" display. This display alone is worth the $150 upgrade from the Alpine CDA-9856 IMO.

I'll post photos of my install as soon as I get it underway. Good luck with your decision-making process. Cheers!

-Todd