PDA

View Full Version : XC70 software updates...

hotxc70
04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Just wan to pass this information to all XC 70 owners:

1. Transmission software update.
2. Electronic Throttle System software update.

Had symptoms on the transmission when stopping at red light then taking off, there was the typical hump when transmission changed from neutral to drive, it was very annoying, so called my local Volvo dealer, and no problem doing the software update. Got it for free.

Throttle System? Well had no problems with it at all yet, you never know later, called my local Volvo dealer, and asked on recent Throttle software update release last month, then I called Volvo's service department for an appointment for the update and today the update was done in half hour time at no cost at all.

New released Electronic Throttle System software update from Volvo refers to: Re-Call #155 update, and it is offered for free to XC70’s vehicles that still under warranty.
Good luck
Jorge.

Art
04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
New released Electronic Throttle System software update from Volvo refers to: Re-Call #155 update, and it is offered for free to XC70’s vehicles that still under warranty.
Good luck
Jorge.

I just had the same ETM software upgrade done at N/C to me and was under the impression that this free service campaign applied to all affected vehicles regardless of the warranty period.

harry brauns
04-29-2006, 10:04 AM
What is the pourpuss of the New released Electronic Throttle System software ?? What will inprove?
HCB

dr.tb.xc
04-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Both my wife's '99 V70 and my '01 V70XC are eligible for the n/c ETM software upgrade. Since my wife's vehicle was having eratic idle speed issues I took it in two weeks ago for it's upgrade first.

I drove it to the dealership with it barely showing any symptoms, but when I picked it up half an hour later the thing would barely idle at all. The rpms would continuously dip down into the 400-500 range. Above idle speed it seemed to run a little rough, and her fuel economy had suddenly dropped to half it's previous level.

I took it back to the service department to find out what the upgrade had done to screw things up so severely. After they'd looked it over the service rep took me back into the bay and showed me a completely fried vaccuum hose which had attached to the left side of the head near the intake manifold mounting point. He didn't offer to educate me what that hose was supposed to do, but said it was the likely source of the trouble. Upgrading the TBM software had just un-masked the problem.

I spent the better part of an afternoon last week breaking down the engine compartment to allow myself access to the offending hose. I replaced it and cleaned the electronic throttle body while it was disassembled. After I had it all put back together most of the problems were, ideed, solved. Her economy is back were it belongs, and overall it runs much better. And, though the idle still drops a bit low, most of that is improved, too.

I'm scheduled to take my XC in two days from now to have the ETM software upgraded. Hopefully it won't cause me any more grief. I'd like for my knuckles to heal before I dive under another Volvo hood again.

BTW, I'd had my transmission software upgraded a couple years ago, but my transmission still has that subtle "hump" as I take off from standing. Since I gather that the upgrade solved the problem for you (hotxc70) I'm wondering if they actually did upgrade my software at all. [sly] I'd had the transmission software upgrade done to address the "flare" issue, but I never saw any improvement in that respect.

-Todd

hotxc70
05-01-2006, 07:33 PM
=-=-=- Dr.TB.XC -=-=-=-=

To answer your question on the transmission software update; when I get my CX update to get rid of the neutral control I received my service invoice from my local Volvo Dealer and it is clearly printed: Transmission Software Update – FP# 30646691-3 with description stating; 30646691-Neutral C

This upgrade solved my annoying “hump” every time I took off, you should take your XC back to the dealer and verify the update. Hope my information above will help you to get the proper update.
JHU.

dr.tb.xc
05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
To answer your question on the transmission software update; when I get my CX update to get rid of the neutral control I received my service invoice from my local Volvo Dealer and it is clearly printed: Transmission Software Update – FP# 30646691-3 with description stating; 30646691-Neutral C

This upgrade solved my annoying “hump” every time I took off, you should take your XC back to the dealer and verify the update. Hope my information above will help you to get the proper update.
JHU.

Thanks for the info. I'll be taking her in for the TBM software upgrade and to have another remote fob programmed in a couple of days. I'll have the transmission software verified then. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "neutral control". I've seen this referenced on the site before, but never with an explanation of what it does or why one may want to have it removed. Thanks again.

-Todd

Jhughes
05-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Neutral Control is supposed to improve fuel economy by placing the transmission into Neutral while the car is stopped (gear selector still in Drive) for a short period of time. When the accelerator pedal is pressed the transmission drops into drive from neutral. A lot of people have removed this feature (including myself) because if you try to accelerate hard you get a sizeable thump and hesitation from the transmission while its shifting from neutral to drive. In 2002 Volvo removed this from all their vehicles. Another reason to remove Neutral Control is if you live in hilly terrain, the car would be harder to get moving from a stop on a hill and could roll backwards. Once NC is removed the transmission operates like a normal transmission.

hotxc70
05-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Jhughes reply is correct, by taking the Neutral Control feature off XC ‘s engine will take little more hesitation while you holding the brake pedal on a red light or at the stop sign, because once the “ NC “ is taken off your XC70 will act and feel like any other automatic transmission car, will not change to NEUTRAL while pressing the brake pedal. I love my XC70 more and more since I decided to take the “ NC “ off.
Good luck with your XC updates.
JHU.

ArtSmart
05-16-2006, 06:09 AM
I love my XC70 more and more since I decided to take the “ NC “ off.
Good luck with your XC updates.
JHU.

What year is your XC. Is this update applicable to 2004 XC?

Jhughes
05-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Neutral Control was only used on 2001 models, in the US at least.

hotxc70
05-16-2006, 03:56 PM
What year is your XC. Is this update applicable to 2004 XC?
Hi A.Smart -
Mine is a 2001 XC, I'm very sure that the NC applies to XC70's up to 2002.
Regards.

Jorge-789995
05-16-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm very sure that the NC applies to XC70's up to 2002.
Regards.

I agree. I'm pretty sure that is what I had disabled on mine after complaining of the transmission flare. Afterward, when coasting down a hill, the engine would stay "engaged" to the wheels and the engine RPM's would not drop to idle as when coasting before.

Keith

Tyrolier
05-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a MY2001 XC-70 and received the ETM update software a month ago. (I just purchased the '01 2+ months ago and its first trip to the dealer was for all the updates & 'check it over').

To the point.... The current version of the ETM update as I received it does not have the Neutral mode in it. There is no thumping of any kind at all.

The only annoyance was I had to do a complete 're-education' of my driving habits / preferences.

It took very very little time to retrain it and it's running fine.

Wonder if Volvo took the 'NC' out of the ETM update due to complaints? (I can get the P/N off my invoice if needed).

T.

hotxc70
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
If you did not notice the typical transmission hump from the beginning, chances are that Volvo solve this issue to pass the Volvo certification prior offering the car to customers.
Consider you self-lucky!!!!
Regards.
JHU....

Tyrolier
05-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks that helps establish a timeline marker.

I am both lucky and VERY VERY pleased with my XC.

I think back now and realize I didn't notice anything but perfection from the beginning even though campain 155 wasn't applied until just recently.

My intent was to help establish for anyone who may get a used '01 in the future to know the #155 isn't causing any transmission thump at all. I have to be carefull not to throw gravel around !!! :)

T.

Grocery Grabber
05-31-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi, I'm new to posting, but have been a BIG fan of this site since I purchased my 2001 XC70 in Dec 2005. I just couldn't stand the delayed, harsh engagement into gear when coasting 10-14mph then pushing the accelerator. I LOVE my car, but HATE this issue! So... I took the advise of many on this forum and has my Volvo Service guys (begrudgingly) take the Neutral Control off (s/w update 30646691). They REALLY encouraged me not to do it. They had absolutely no experience with this update and asked me to provide all the necessary part numbers, detailed information, etc...

I just got the car back yesterday and it is a completely different car. I found I have 're-learn' how to drive it. I no longer have to ease up on the gas pedal when in that 10-14mph clunking 'danger zone'. My only concern is that it appears that my gas milage is suffering. Now I only had it one day, but switching on my instantaneous MPG reading, it looks to be running about 10-20% less efficient. Has anyone else found this to be true or should I wait and be patient for more MPG data? (I just get nervous with $3.20+ / gallon!)

Thanks to everyone out there sharing their experiences. I am a prime example that you help so many with this candid discussion board.

Thanks!
(my xc70 was once described as an suburban 'Grocery Grabber' - needless to say I loved it and it stuck!)

Tyrolier
07-16-2006, 05:17 PM
To augment the words of those about turning "NC" off in the 2001 XC, I completed my first long haul trip (3300 miles R/T). The terrain was from flat (Texas) to the steep mountains of West Virginia and everything inbetween.

There was only the slightest 'shift shock' if I did a hard downshift or accelleration from completely stopped.

Gasoline mileage with 100lbs cargo + me + a/c was: 27 +/- highway (flat), 18-21 in the mountains, and 15'ish mpg in town. I used only 93 octane for the trip. At one point my 'miles to empty tank' reported 460 miles upon fill up.

The fuel economy was great given the terrain and heat.

I really like the NC off instead of on.

Thanks to all for your recommendations in other threads helping me get up to speed with my XC.

hotxc70
07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
The fuel economy was great given the terrain and heat.

I really like the NC off instead of on.

Thanks to all for your recommendations in other threads helping me get up to speed with my XC.

Hey, you are not the only one to like the NC feature off. I do love my XC every day that I drive it; well since the XC is my wife’s car I get not to drive it every day. But weekends the XC is mine and I really enjoy the drive, way better than my 93-850 GLT.
JHU