PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts

Tyrant11429
04-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Last night I noticed my car started to vibrate a little differently in idle than usual, am wondering if the motor mounts are no good, I was reading in my ipd book they have better replacement mounts than the orginal. I've also heard the mounts on the XC seem to go bad often, but which ones ? Anyone have this problem before ?

Beiner
04-27-2006, 07:55 AM
As I'm sure you're aware of, lot's of things can cause that. The bottom front motor mount isn't too bad after you get the wheel out of the way. I got lucky when I bought mine. It looked like it had just been replaced. Like all others of our era I'd sure look at the upper mount. After I replaced my bad one with polyurethane, I got a bit of a buzz in the steering wheel. If it's bad, you'll get more than a buzz. This guy http://quickbrickmotorsports.com/ can take your mount and fill it with polyurethane so things like what's happening to you won't happen again. It also improves your shifting too! They call him Slater.

cossie1600
04-27-2006, 07:20 PM
having a racing motor mount is a great way to make your street car not streetable

Tyrant11429
04-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Am wondering if I should take it out and check it. I saw on ipd they got one and have a lifetime warrenty and made with the same material I saw on that link you sent me beiner. Wondering if hard to change I see like 2 bolts am wondering if I loosen the mount would it go out of place with the weight of the engine, and I'd be in deep s--- ? Also does the bottom mount goes bad often on these cars ? If so I'd just change both.

Beiner
04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Am wondering if I should take it out and check it. I saw on ipd they got one and have a lifetime warrenty and made with the same material I saw on that link you sent me beiner. Wondering if hard to change I see like 2 bolts am wondering if I loosen the mount would it go out of place with the weight of the engine, and I'd be in deep s--- ? Also does the bottom mount goes bad often on these cars ? If so I'd just change both.

If you take the lower mount out be sure you have the engine supported beforehand. Either a jack underneath with something wide (to spread the weight distribution) between the jack and the engine so you don't break anything [I]or[U] something supporting the engine from the top. We used to use a 2x4 spread across the engine bay connected to a chain from the top on the old pickup's we'd work on. A number of things will work, you get the idea.

From what I understand, it's not uncommon for the lower mount to go out. So I wouldn't be too surprised if it's bad.

Cossie's right, poly bushing's make your car less streetable but IMO more fun to drive. After putting the upper poly bushing in both my cars I noticed a different (better) response in shifting. But that was one mount of many mounts.

Slater uses a composite called Delrin which he claims is better than poly. At his price, it better be.

Tyrant11429
04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
So what your trying to say is that the website you gave me sells a better motor mount than ipd does ? I just want one that will last a long time, and doesn't make the car shake and make the car drive the way it was meant to be.

Beiner
05-01-2006, 05:49 AM
So what your trying to say is that the website you gave me sells a better motor mount than ipd does ? I just want one that will last a long time, and doesn't make the car shake and make the car drive the way it was meant to be.

Well then I'm afraid that you'll probably have to compromise a little bit. I'm not that familiar with IPD "longer lasting" mounts but it sounds like thats the route you'll want to go. Slater's mounts are great. Long lasting, sturdy but if you're engine isn't pristine any more then you'll probably get at least a slight vibration.

EvoRoadster
05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I changed the upper mount to the IPD version after going through 2 OEM mounts. It is simple to change and resulted in no extra vibration. In fact the wife, whose car it is, never noticed the change.

Tyrant11429
05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
When your changing it did you have to hold the engine up with a pull while changing it ?

Mk1Racer
05-10-2006, 07:46 AM
I just changed the p/s mount in my '98 V70 XC last night. The one that was there was totally destroyed!!! :eek:

To answer your question, yes, you do have to raise the engine up. Fortunately, I did this at my friend's shop, on his lift. We used a screw jack to raise and support the engine while we changed it. I used a Volvo mount.

As a side question, does anyone know if there's a difference in the d/s motor mounts? The one I have looks like the vertical stud is shorter than the one that's on the car, and the new one looks to be too short.

BillAileo
05-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Tyrant,

Were you asking about the upper mount or a lower one?

I agree that you have to support the engine to replace a lower mount, but I don't believe that it's necessary in replacing the upper mount (stabilizer). When putting a new IPD upper mount in our '03 XC70 I didn't use any support for the engine.

Bill

Wishbone
05-10-2006, 05:43 PM
My mechanic says the upper mount is the prevent "side to side" movement while the lower mount is to prevent "up and down" movement. I cannot attest to the accuracy of this statement but it sounded good to me.
I know I can grab the mount arm (upper) and pull it to the side and see some movement, so it isn't TOO tightly held.

Tyrant11429
05-13-2006, 07:43 PM
The upper mount