PDA

View Full Version : Bevel gear/Haldex fluid??

wilnis
04-23-2006, 05:53 PM
I've searched but can't come up with what fluids are used in the bevel gear and Haldex and the "recommended" change intervals. I have a MY 2005. Any help as to what these are, or where I can search for them would be appreciated. I did find info about the pre 2000 XC 70, and some conflicting recommendations about the fluid being 75-90 gear lube or JWS 3309 transmission fluid. Again, any references would be appreciated. Thanks-Bill

BillAileo
04-24-2006, 07:03 AM
In trying to look up the answer to your question on an older VADIS listing I ended up locating two different part numbers for the fluid for the bevel gear. I don't know if these are different size containers of the same fluid or what the explanation is. Anyway the two numbers are 1161513-5 and 1161648. These are off of a listing for 2003-2004 XC70s (my data doesn't cover newer cars).

I'd guess its JWS 3309 but I wouldn't recommend acting on my guess, just buy the correct stuff from your Volvo dealer or confirm what it is.

To the best of my knowledge, Volvo does not recommend replacement of the fluid. However, they don't recommend changing transmission fluid either & I think a number of folks have concluded that such changes are good preventive maintenance measures if they are very carefully undertaken.

Good luck,

Bill

dlr97
04-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I have read that the bevel gear housing is separate from the auto trans, so I would guess that it uses some type of gear oil, and not the trans fluid. The Haldex is in another separate housing in front of the rear differential.

wilnis
04-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. JWS 3309 part # in Volvo language is 1161540 so I'm guessing it is some other fluid. I'm of the school of thought that "lifetime" means "warranty life" and prefer to do preventive maintance to transmissions and I'm looking at the other fluid containing compartments to maintain to hopefully extend the life of my Volvo. I'll talk to my friendly dealer to see if I can get the info from them. Thank you again. Bill

BillAileo
04-26-2006, 05:36 AM
My curiosity was too much for me so I purchased a download of Volvo's one page October 13, 2005 "Tech-Net Notes" Number 40-04 that addresses "Transmission and AWD Lubricants." There is an entry for Angle Gears that reads as follows:

Angle Gears (All) _________ API GL5, BOT _________ 1161648 (1 liter)

So you are correct, the bevel (angle) gear does NOT use JWS 3309.
I have no idea what the letters "BOT" after the API GL5 entry means. If you find out please let us know.

Bill

jmoser
04-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Sounds to me like any hypoid differential lube meeting API GL5 would work.

Just my guess but there is no clutch pack, etc. in the bevel gear case. Its just another form of a passive differential.

Art
04-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Below is a list of Volvo transmission and AWD approved lubricants that applies for all models. Hope that helps. :)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/FluidSpecs.gif

BillAileo
04-29-2006, 03:32 AM
Art,

Thanks for posting that chart! Just out of curiosity, have you figured out what the "BOT" in the angle gears specification is? So far, the best I can come up with is that it's possibly a manufacturer (Burmah Oil Technology GmbH). Since Volvo went to the trouble of listing two other distinct versions of API GL5 for other components, I'd want to know for sure what that "BOT" means (or buy the gear oil from Volvo) before replacing my angle (bevel) gear lubricant.

Bill

jbl
04-29-2006, 04:05 AM
BOT is something Volvo use as there internal code for low foaming fluid.

I dont know if the fluid for bevelgear is extra lowfoaming if we compare it witn other fluids.

Anyway its an 75W90 viscosity. I had it replaced after 10000km. The fluid wasent lightbrown as new fluid. It had started to be black.

The haldex unit needs the fluid to be exchanged if we look at the coulour of the fluid who has been in service. In my case i had it replaced after 50000km and the fluid was black.

Since there is no drain plugg you had to practice the same technique as Nemlerise has described how to replace the fluid in bevelgear.

You will only get out approximatly 4dl of total 7-8dl. I have done this three times until the fluid become clear in the Haldex unit.

As i see it there is no fluid for lifetime use in these Volvos. It is cheap insurance to replace all fluids in our cars. Especially if you intend to keep it for a long time.

If i was looking for an second hand AWD Volvo i would look for one who had this kind of maintenence. Otherwise i would not buy it. The parts are way to expensive to replace.

BillAileo
04-29-2006, 04:25 AM
JBL,

Thanks! I certainly agree with your conclusions about making regular lubricant changes. I replaced the automatic transmission's JWS 3309 at 30,000 miles and will be doing it again shortly at 60,000. At that time I also plan to replace the bevel gear lubricant as well. When you change your bevel gear lubricant do you use the siphon approach originally taken by Nemlerise, or have you drilled the hole in the body of the unit to create a drain as he added to the discussion later?

Bill

philosophicaldreamer
04-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Hello,

Where can I find precise directions about changing the bevel gear oil? I found the directions for changing oil on the first generation of XC, but I have trouble locating the information for the second generation of XCs. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Ta-ta, j.

jbl
05-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Im siphoning the fluid in both bevelgear and the haldex unit.

The bevelgear looks the same on newer and older cars and siphoning method is an eay way to exhange the oil.

It is a little bit tricky to reach the oil so you have to struggle a bit with the tubing to reach the oil.

The fluids to use are mentioned on the fluid sheet from Volvo shown earlier in this thread.

Bevelgear 1161648 and haldex fluid 1161641. The fluids are considored as lifetime fluids here in Sweden. But the way they looks after some 30-40kkm i would say they are not lifetime fluids.

I asked my local Volvo workshop to do the drilling on the bevelgear but they refused to do it. It didnt matter that Volvo in US did it.
Maybe i will do the drilling by my self.

budrichard
05-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Volvo is the OEM and has no recommendations for changing these fluids. NO ONE has posted ANY quantitative information about the need to change these fluids. You can do harm by introducing air, dirt and possible foreign objects into these areas of the vehicle. It is inconcievable to me as an engineer, why one would do something for which there is not need?
My 1987 Volvo 740GLE has no transmission fluid replaced and still is running fine. Same for the 99XC unless it was called for under the service intervals. My 03XC is still running great. -Dick

philosophicaldreamer
05-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Im siphoning the fluid in both bevelgear and the haldex unit.

The bevelgear looks the same on newer and older cars and siphoning method is an eay way to exhange the oil.

It is a little bit tricky to reach the oil so you have to struggle a bit with the tubing to reach the oil.

The fluids to use are mentioned on the fluid sheet from Volvo shown earlier in this thread.

Bevelgear 1161648 and haldex fluid 1161641. The fluids are considored as lifetime fluids here in Sweden. But the way they looks after some 30-40kkm i would say they are not lifetime fluids.

I asked my local Volvo workshop to do the drilling on the bevelgear but they refused to do it. It didnt matter that Volvo in US did it.
Maybe i will do the drilling by my self.

Thank you for your information :)

Ta-ta, j.

05-22-2007, 02:52 AM
[QUOTE=It is inconcievable to me as an engineer, why one would do something for which there is not need?
-Dick[/QUOTE]

I am also an engineer and would like to offer my opinion on changing or not changing oil. From a financial point of view one could stick to the servicing schedule (including lifetime intervals) and only change the oil on the dates/km/miles recommended by the OEM. In the case of the bevel gear never changing it......

BUT

As most engineers would know that when you mesh two metal objects together wear will occur. Yes I know that in the perfect world oil is supposed to do its job and prevent the two surfaces from contacting but under heavy loads and at varying temperatures and also age there may still be contact. Also, oil is not only a lubricant but also a detergent, containing properties that hold these minute particles in suspension until they are eventually replaced in regular oil changes.

The bevel gear oil may not be subjected to a regular change by direction of the OEM but in my opinion and for effective preventive maintenance I would replace it to flush out the aforesaid contaminants. I do not believe that if you never replaced the oil and then drained it after say 200,000K's the oil would be in the same condition as it was new, there would be a marked difference with heat, particles and age all playing contributing in its deteriation.

It Volvo believes that this oil should never be replaced, then it should release a valid reason supported by appropriate evidence. It is not enough to say 'trust us' as despite the fantastic cars that they produce, often there are faults and mistakes that require rectification, the replacement of the bevel gear oil could be one that is yet to be discovered.

atikovi
10-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Volvo is the OEM and has no recommendations for changing these fluids. NO ONE has posted ANY quantitative information about the need to change these fluids.

Sure, there wont be any problems during the warranty period, at 100,000 miles, or probably at 200,000 miles. But I'm under my 2005 S40 with over 250,000 miles and just have the urge to change it just to be sure. Anybody figure out a cheaper replacement fluid since the last post?