PDA

View Full Version : HU-803 improvement

Alex J
04-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Hello all,

I was googling consumer reports while deciding to buy a slightly used 2004 XC70 with 28.000 km (which I finally did [thumbup] ) and stumbled across this forum. The car is made in Sweden (aren't they all?) and was sold in Chile (don't know how that affects specifications).

The local Volvo rep doesn't seem very knowledgable regarding sound system improvements, so I'll try my luck here:

Does the HU-803 radio handle the OEM subwoofer and Ipod compatibility? If yes, can those be bought in the US? From whom (web order)?

TIA,

Alex

Jack
04-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi Alex,

Congratulations on your new Cross Country! Let me be the first of many to welcome you to volvoxc.com.

Like you, I discovered this site as I was researching and purchasing my XC70. It's a great site with lots of helpful, kind, and tolerant folks (unlike many automotive forum sites).

To address your questions, yes your HU-803 will work with Volvo's subwoofer and iPod adaptor. It will also work with aftermarket iPod adaptors, some of which may be a better choice.

The subwoofer is the same from 2001 through the current model year but the wiring harness changed sometime around 2004. The difference is due to a new rear electronic module (fuse block). I bought my subwoofer on eBay. It was for the earlier model but a minor change in the wires adapted it for my 2005. It worked as soon as I connected it but really needed the software download to properly equalize the audio.

The Volvo iPod adaptor works with any HU model that supports an external CD changer but you can't use the iPod controls when it is connected and the iPod information won't display on your radio or iPod display. Many of us use the USA-Spec adaptor that allows two modes of control. One mode is just like the Volvo unit -- you can select one of a few playlists on the iPod and use the radio or steering wheel buttons to change songs. In this mode the iPod doesn't display any song information. The other mode available with the USA-Spec is direct mode where the full controls and the display on the iPod are available, though it still doesn't display song info on the radio. The USA-Spec adaptor also has an aux. input for an external audio source (satellite radio, dvd, ???).

The subwoofer, Volvo iPod adaptor, and USA-Spec adaptor are available at many sources here in the US but many don't ship internationally.

The site below is one of the few I looked at tonight that doesn't say they won't ship out of the country:

http://www.bostonvolvo.com/cart.htm?cmp=SHOPPINGCART:1&type=render&secure=false&view=default&categoryId=7cc9e38740463824001648047edc44ea

While VolvoXC.com is probably the best site for Cross Country information, you might want to check the Audio/Electronics forum on Swedespeed.com for lots of sub/iPod/audio information. There is a wealth of info available through the search function (but be sure to check the archived messages). Find it here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=22

One of the regular posters there is developing an adaptor for commercial distribution. It's going to do more than any of the existing adaptors. You might want to check it out too. See this (VERY long) thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=32512

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Jack

Willy
04-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Hello and welcome!
XC70's are built in Sweden (Torslanda) and in Thailand (Sumutprakarn).
However, in 2004, only 36(!?) were built there, on a total of more than 35.000 cars,
so probably, your car is truly "made in Sweden" :)
Willy

Alex J
04-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Both Jack and Willy,

Thanks for your replies. As Jack mentioned, I did use the search function, but there is so much data, that I needed a good pointer to relevant information of my specific MY.

As of the USA Spec Ipod adapter I'll google it and try to find somebody to ship international. That's what I did for a Chevrolet Suburban and I don't mind not having the song info on the radio display, as long as I can control volume and change songs.

[thumbup] Alex

Art
04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
As of the USA Spec Ipod adapter I'll google it and try to find somebody to ship international. That's what I did for a Chevrolet Suburban and I don't mind not having the song info on the radio display, as long as I can control volume and change songs.

[thumbup] Alex

Welcome to the site Alex,

You could always try and find a kind and sympathetic soul here in the forum to send you the USA Spec adaptor as I did. Thanks again Birddog! :)
Might even save you a few pesos in shipping and duty.

If that doesn’t work, these folks will ship one out to you.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=726

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/cs.aspx#Shipping%20Information

Jack
04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Alex,

No currently available iPod adaptor displays the song info on the Volvo radio display, so actually the USA-Spec adaptor does everything the Volvo adaptor does plus more.

Let me know if you can't find someone to ship to you, we may be able to work something out.

My wife was in Peru last month (Lima, Iquitos, and industrial sites) but we don't anticipate another visit soon. Too bad, might have worked out something before.

Best,

Jack

Alex J
04-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Art,

Discountcarstereo is set up for Paypal, so I'll try to order tomorrow.

Jack,

Lima is still 3 3/4 hour flight hours away from Santiago, but if you happen to be in these latitudes, PM me.

Anyone: is this a DIY project? Assuming one knows which way to turn a screwdiver... :D

Thanks,

Alex
Sleepless in Santiago [mad2]

Alex J
04-25-2006, 01:16 AM
Art,

I stumbled across your Pigmy Wood Kayak project thread. I have to build one of those!!! In the summer I travel south to the lakes and I own a single and a double fiberglass kayak (built by www.mgkayak.com.ar), but to "roll your own" is far more gratifying... [thumbup]

Alex

Art
04-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Anyone: is this a DIY project? Assuming one knows which way to turn a screwdiver...

Alex,

Installing the USA Spec adaptor is fairly straightforward although removing the CCM (climate control module) could pose a bit of a challenge. Here’s a link to forum member Scotjo’s procedure.

http://www.geocities.com/scotjo/ipod/ipodinstall.html

Art,

I stumbled across your Pigmy Wood Kayak project thread. I have to build one of those!!! In the summer I travel south to the lakes and I own a single and a double fiberglass kayak (built by www.mgkayak.com.ar), but to "roll your own" is far more gratifying…

OT- Speaking of DIY projects, the Pygmy kits are definitely ones that anyone can tackle with a few simple tools. If you have adequate work space and some spare time on your hands, building and paddling your own boat is a truly gratifying experience. :)

Check out Westcoastpaddler.com (http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/building/index.php?cat=2) as several of its members build and complete their Pygmies.

Chile looks like a great paddling destination. I’d love to spend my vacation kayaking Patagonia. :cool:

Alex J
05-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Done!

I got it from discountcarstereo.com in less than a weeks time. (they are set up for Paypal on int'l orders.

Installation took about 1 hour, which I did yesterday night using a headlamp :eek: ... easy to do if you have a Tork driver and know which way to turn it... ;) ... as well as some Velcro to secure the fuse box and the adapter. I put mine also behind the glove box. It's easy to access in case I want to change modes. The Ipod rides in the glove box behind the cars manual.

Thanks to all for the advice [thumbup]

Now I need to lay my hands on a OEM subwoofer... :D

Alex