PDA

View Full Version : lower octane gas

Sasquatch
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
With all the computer gimmickry people here do, I wonder if there is a fix so you can run lower octane gas in these things.

It sure would help now that gas prices are getting so high.

Anyone know?

dr.tb.xc
04-18-2006, 12:38 PM
I've been running regular grade gas in my '01 consistantly without any issues. For the first 6 months I owned it I kept to 93 octane exclusively. After the change to regular I noted zero reduction in fuel economy (which has been consistantly lame regardless of what I fed it) and no change in performance (which has been consistantly excellent).

Something else to think about.
(http://www.feniks.com/john/bears.html)

RedXC
04-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Refer to your owner's manual, ill tell you what is the min octane to use. Even using a lower octane than before, the PCM (computer) will maintain A/F 14.7:1 with higher or lower octane. Other cars, lower octane will created knocking but knock sensor and PCM will reduce the knock by adv/retard timing.

Willy
04-19-2006, 01:49 AM
The octane number is about the resistance of fuel to self ignite. Fuel will do so if pressure (and temperature) is high enough. This is not a good idea, the proccess is supposed to be controled by giving a spark :)
It is the compression of the engine that dictates the minimum octane number of the fuel in order to avoid self ignition, I don't think there is a "fix".
I attach the page of the user manual about octane. It also specifies how much ethanol can be used.
Willy