PDA

View Full Version : Outside Mirror Replacement & Vadis?

Ted in Toronto
04-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Crunched the mirror on the drivers door of my 2004 XC70 last weekend in an underground parking garage - only damaged the plastic housing. Off to the dealer on Monday; surprise, have to buy the complete mirror assembly for Cdn$551.00 taxes in (glass is extra but mine wasn't broken). They needed my VIN to order the correct mirror, c/w memory option.
It took me about 20 minutes to install and all controls work fine - until I lock the car, come back and unlock it, then the mirror rotates up to the sky. It appears the mirror electronics are not communicating with the body computer, and the memory function defaults to "point at the sky" mode. And yes, I've tried reprogramming my seat/mirror memory position.
Does anyone know for sure if this needs to be reset by the dealer using Vadis? If so, I really think we've gone too far when a simple mirror replacement requires a software download... next it will be floor mats needing to be rebooted when removed and reinstalled........
BTW, I tried to put the motor from my old mirror into the new housing, thinking it would still recognize the old motor - but they've changed the electrical connector onto the motor (same connector from mirror harness into door though) - thanks Volvo!

toma nova
04-20-2006, 10:18 AM
When I replaced the same mirror housing (tight garage), it did not need any software update - plug and play.

I also switched to the Euro wide-angle mirror which provides much better coverage - no blind spot at all.

HTH, Tom

starfish
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Ted, It sounds to me like your mirror is having a y-axis potentiometer problem. Perhaps the dealer will either need to clear out any codes stored that might possibly disrupt the mirror's operation or replace the mirror motor if it is found to be defective.