PDA

View Full Version : Drive Train Noise?

tgrumaj
04-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, here's a new one. When driving I am now hearing a whining noise especially when decelerating around 30-40 MPH. It's more of a "WWRRRRRR" noise. Since it will rise and fall in pitch with the car speed my first thought was the tires. I have Nokian WRs and they have been on since November with no problem. I checked tire pressure and that's fine (I run at the recommended pressure of 36 front and 41 rear). I have just noticed this over the past week. Before that everything was quiet...virtually no tire noise. I wonder if this could be a transmission or bevel gear issue? Any thoughts?

There is no change in performance that I can tell, just the increased noise while driving and the "WHRRRRRRRR"noise increasing as I decelerate. At very low speed it isn't noticable at all.

tgrumaj
04-15-2006, 05:13 AM
I've checked the fluids (ATF, PSF) and all seem fine. Althought I noticed that the ATF fluid was much higher than the "hot" level on the stick. Not sure what that means but there is definately plenty of fluid. Power steering fluid is at proper level. Hope this isn't a bevel gear issue.

RedXC
04-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Might be a worn bearing or the drive shaft is bend causing the noise.

tgrumaj
04-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Well I took it to my indy mechanic today who said it was a Strut bearing that was worn out and needed to be replaced. (Passenger side). I must admit after reading all the threads on this board it sure sounded like a wheel bearing. The noise comes when I am at speeds above 40mph and is especially strong when decelerating below 40mph and when turning the wheel slightly to the right (toward the passanger side). Not sure why I would hear a "whrrrrrrr" sound when driving from a strut bearing but in either case that what he diagnosed. He didn't have the part as it was late in the day and no time to order. I'll take it back Wed and have the work done and see if he's right. Anyone have problems with a strut bearing before? Similar symptoms?

Prepo
04-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Aren't you posting on the wrong forum for your model year?

John@CdnRockies
04-23-2006, 06:58 AM
I was one of the original posters wrt wheel bearing noise and Nokians. I suspect that we are hearing more things as those Nokians sure are quiet!

Tgrumaj, one other factor to consider for a worn out wheel bearing is that it will have a more pronounced noise when side pressure is applied. I noticed it on highway curves while the Volvo service technician simply swerved the car during his test drive. Let us know the results in either case, as I don't recall a strut bearing being cited previously.

John

tgrumaj
04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
The fix is in and it was the drivers side wheel bearing (in this case the entire hub assembly needed to be replaced) at the tune of 438 US. This fit the verdict from the board and from Bay13 at the brickboard. Noise increased with a right turn of the wheel indicating driver side bearing. My only complaint is the cost of this fix. Othewise job was well done.

I also had the ETM software upgrade done when in and frankly can't tell the difference. Hope it gets me more milage before an ETM failure.