PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate Lock Problem

rfauber
04-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Our 2003 XC70 had a strange quirk with the tailgate lock. Everything' was working normally, then next time we tried to open it we couldn't get it to unlock. Tried the remote and armrest lock several times, nothing happened. So, we drove around on a few errands, got home and tried it, and the darned thing worked fine.
My wife is convinced that she somehow screwed up the logic in the computer by pressing the remote to quickly, too late, or whatever, but I say it's doubtful you could cause the lock system to just jam up by pressing the buttons wrong.
Can't believe the car doesn't have a key opening for the tailgate for any problems like this and apparently no option for an emergency tailgate release!
Any ideas on what might have caused our problem; how it fixed itself; or is it just on its way to breaking altogether?
Roy

Boarder
04-13-2006, 03:18 PM
My 06 has a similiar problem. I thought it was not unlocking, but I just had to push the handle forward and then open. Sometimes the handle does not reset into correct position after use.

Dave

dr.tb.xc
04-13-2006, 06:23 PM
This has happened to me many times, but only rarely now that I've figured out what causes my XC's problem. For mine the problem is the cargo bay's carpet liner creaping back and getting wedged in the tailgate seal when the door is slammed. This also happens when any other small junk shifting around in the bay (dog leash, jacket, etc.) gets in the seal as the door is closed.

I've found that aggressively pushing the door closed and re-locking/unlocking the power locks usually solves the problem. Then I move the carpet back where it belongs, shut the gate, and viola--crisis over.

Maybe your problem is caused by a similar issue. Hope I helped.

-Todd

rucreus
04-15-2006, 01:46 AM
On my 04 XC70, when you activate the double click to unlock the latch with the remote, you have to be careful to wait for the delay until the latch actually unlocks.

Attempting to pull the outside door handle before the lock fully unlatches freezes the handle and it seems as if the handle won't function properly.

Simple fix, lock the car with the remote and then unlock with the remote once again, (being sure to wait for the audible latch unlocking), ...and everything is back to normal.

It could be as simple as that, roy, ...at least it sounds feasible.

lintbrush
04-26-2006, 01:05 AM
I had random problems like this until I had the dealer adjust the latch. I haven't had any problems since...knock on wood.

redwagon04
04-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Same here...the dealer originally adjusted the hatch to correct the hatch scuffing the bumper cover on lower rt side. This created the unlocking issue that was resolved be the latch adjustment.

slowflyer
04-27-2006, 12:18 PM
For mine the problem is the cargo bay's carpet liner creaping back and getting wedged in the tailgate seal when the door is slammed.
-Todd

I've had the same cargo pad problem. Check the easy things first before getting things realigned.