PDA

View Full Version : xc70 shimmy

edge15
04-12-2006, 10:37 AM
My 2001 V70XC is experiencing a shimmy that is most pronounced when accelerating (actually, only when accelerating). The stronger the acceleration, the stronger the shimmy. (no acceleration-no shimmy) It feels like it is coming more from the rear end than the front and there is no vibration related to the steering wheel. One other factor is that the shimmy decreases when I am in a left turn with signifigant weight being transfered to the right side of the car.
Anyone have any Ideas what this might be?

01XC BEN
10-10-2006, 05:23 AM
I was having that exact problem. I was first told to replace the tires, after I replaced them the problem was still there. I took it to the Volvo dealer. they said my newly installled and balanced tires where out of balance, I had them re-balance them. but that still didn't fix the problem. So I returned it to the dealer for further inspection. they found my inner tierods worn and a drive axle that seemed to vibrating at accelleration. I told them to go ahead and replace the iteams. a $1700 shot. The problem was solved. The car is smooth as ever. The people a Newmarket Volvo where very accomidating and extremely nice to deal with. I took this to sevral shops closer to home with out any resolution. but it was woth the 1 hour+ drive to an actual Volvo dealer.