PDA

View Full Version : Xc2001 Buyer Beware???

kiwixc
04-09-2006, 03:51 AM
Hi all, great site!
I ma looking to import an xc70 2001 from singapore but having read through the site, I am not too sure of what I wil get myself into. The particuler xc has not been serviced by a volvo agent and has 84000 KM on it.
I take it that there are onboard computers to upggrade which independants cannot do.
What are the key problem areas that have come through on the 2001 models?

I do intend to travel over to vierw the vehicle and want to avoid wasting my time.
I like the vehicle as it is practical, just need to get some feedback from the experts on here to help make the deal

cheers [thumbup]

slowflyer
04-09-2006, 05:41 PM
We have a 2001. Let me state that I like the car. It is great the mountains. BUT, we have had noticeably more problems with this car than any other in recent history. You probably did a search, but common expensive problems we have had include replacing the throttle body, most of the suspension links (if not all, I have lost count) and being stranded when it shut down because of the ETM.

If you are going to the trouble of importing it, I would advise you to look for a newer model. Many people like the HALDEX AWD better than the 2001 system as well.

DucVDuc
04-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I have a MY01 and love it, but, I would strongly suggest not buying one and instead to look at a MY03 or later. They have the Haldex AWD and the ETM fix.

Volvo NZL I believe will not cover the cost of an ETM replacement which you would need soon on that MY01, so I'd guess you're looking at 1.5k to 2k in NZD.

kiwixc
04-11-2006, 01:56 AM
thanks for the feedback as it will save me a lot of angst later on. I was looking forward to joining the "club", will have to look a bit harder

thanks guys