PDA

View Full Version : rack and pinions

Tyrant11429
04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Wonder if my rack and pin are good everytime I steer I hear a creeking noise, I'm going to check power steering fluid level tomorrow, I went and looked under the car didn't see any leaks in the front end, I'm going to put in on the lift where I work and check it out more carefully

Bluegrass-XC
05-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Catch it early because it's expensive if you don't. The main seal on my rack and pinion gear assembly failed and all the fluid pumped out. I had a major seal blowout! The power steering pump failed as a result of pumping the system almost dry over the course of 48 hours. I had to have the R&P gear assembly replaced as well as the power steering pump, all to the tune of $2200.00. The PS pump itself was over $500. I'm still waiting to hear from the warranty company. They only want to cover less than half of the cost, saying it was my fault that the PS pump failed since I didn't "catch it in time". This is complete and total BS !!!!! :mad: Stay tuned.

Tyrant11429
05-19-2006, 10:31 PM
What were symptoms you noticed of this failure, cause I hear a creek when I steer sometimes, the car steers great other than that, and the fluid levels are good. Wondering what it is.

Bluegrass-XC
05-22-2006, 11:00 AM
It wasn't really a "creaking" sound, more like a metal-on-metal grind / moan. It sounded "expensive", if you know what I mean. The sound was more pronounced when making turns, especially into a parking lot. I could actually see the trail of fluid on the pavement where I had turned into a parking space. I went through a quart of power steering fluid in two days, but the seal was already blown out and the damage done.

Again - keep a close eye on it. If the noise suddenly gets louder, DO NOT drive it until you get it checked out, and check the power steering fluid reservoir often.