PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak - MY2001

greyanglia
03-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi ,

This is my first post although I have been reading the forum for some time now and found the content invaluable.
I took my MY2001 for its annual MOT Test (legal requirement in the UK) earlier today. It passed ok although it took several attempts to satisfy the emissions test which was put down to a faulty lambda sensor.

Of more concern was a nasty oil leak coming from the tray (I assume the sump cover) under the engine which has spread along the base of the car. I have checked the oil level which does not seem much lower than normal.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a trolley jack/ramp to investigate further. Has anyone come across this problem and any ideas on what caused it? Should I put it down to a worn sump gasket and not worry too much (I plan to buy a newer XC70 later this year) or is it worth braving the Volvo dealer?

Thanks

RedXC
03-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Was any gas emission high?? Such as CO2,CO,NOx,HC

Are you sure the Oxygen Sensor is faulty?? Check with a scantool for voltages or manual check with a DSO/DVOM.

Oil leak! From my past experience, could be from the turbo and/or turbo seals, rear main engine seal, or un-tighten oil filter cansister.

Good thing your not in California, signs of massive oil leak will be a automatic emission test failure due to safety reasons.

greyanglia
03-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks RedXC,

I did not get to see the test results that closely but the print out I was given shows CO at 0.01%vol and HC at 7ppm vol at engine speed of 2500-3000 rpm. I must confess this does not mean a great deal to me.

Thanks for the pointers on the oil leak. I will try and get underneath the car this weekend and investigate further.

Meanwhile I will carry on dreaming of that new '06 VOR with sand leather and all the trimmings............!!

RedXC
03-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Let to point you on the inspection for oil leak.

First find out where the leak is coming from, if found or not.. Clean the area of the leak, drive around. And inspect again.

greyanglia
03-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Hi RedXC

Will do and I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks