PDA

View Full Version : RPM flare at around 20 mph in 2nd auto

barrysharp
03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
I have automatic. I have just over 40K miles on my automatic equipped MY2003 XC70. Of late I've notice when car in 2nd gear and at maybe 20 mph that suddendly the engine RPM flares up momentarily. I've read about this issue in the past and wonder if there's an ECU VADIS upgrade for resolving this issue? The sudden RPM flaring is not too bothersome at this time and is infrequent - however, as always these things tend to worsen with time and I want to perform "a stitch in time to save nine". :)

howardc64
03-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I think the latest TCM software is available sometime in 2004 after your build. Had mine updated at Barrier's Volvo in Bellevue. My geartronic 2-3 flare in auto mode is gone. It is gone mainly due to the new shift + lockup profile. The transmission/torque convertor maintains high torque RPM (2000-2500) longer rather than trying to lockup to the next grear quickly. The difference felt is fairly dramatic. I still get the flare in manual mode because the TCM trys to get into the next gear and lockup based on driver shift input.

Here is a thread that outlines in a bit more detail

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=44033

Vwvolvo
03-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I had my ECU updated 3 times on my 2002XC from dec 2004 to august 2005 for the flare between 2nd and 3rd gear. Also when my car was hot (traffic), I felt a little jerking when going from a dead stop to approx 5m/hr. After complaining, I got a new transmission last september ( warranty ). No more jerking but the little flare is still there and after reading many posts on that subject, I guess that it is a known "problem", not to worry about it so I'm just ignoring it and enjoying my ride.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

XCS
04-01-2006, 08:11 AM
I had the Vadis update 2 weeks ago at the 60K service.

My symptoms started with a slight flare around 40mph. I thought it was my imagination, from reading all the discussions here. About a month later I started getting a more pronounced flare around 20mph but only when accelerating slowly.

The Vadis update cured the flare at both speeds and I believe my fuel mileage has increased. I would recommend getting it done.

mrb
04-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Also had "fix" and "flare" gone ---merv

barrysharp
04-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I will surely have dealership review this and ask about the VADIS download bugfix. I'm assuming this would be a warranty item without cost to myself, right ?

I'm now curious about why this 'flare' has all of a sudden flared up. ;)

I mean to say, I have driven 40K miles without any sign of this flare and now this. What is it that degrades to cause this issue to manifest itself ?

Thanks.

howardc64
04-01-2006, 12:24 PM
While researching this problem, I haven't found any explanation yet of why this occurs afterawhile. Dealer seems to do the low to high repair cost sequence to solve this problem (TCM software, fluid flush, valve body, and finally new transmission)

I did read about another cheap fix ("servo piston" $12 part, 5 minute replace) on sweedspeed. I've not tried or inquire about it at the dealership yet. Swedespeed down at the moment so can't get you a link.

gregorc73
04-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Barry,
I had exactly the same issue with my 2003 xc from about 10,00kms onwards, it would happen once or twice a month up to 80,000kms then it occured every week. Finally the dealer acknowledged the problem & changed a solenoid in the gearbox at the 100,000kms service, under warranty, bingo !!!! problem solved.

P.S. none of the software upgrades made any difference.