PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Vandalized my Baby!! Tore off the headlight wiper.

tgrumaj
03-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Walked around the front of the XC yesterday and was shocked to see that someone had torn off one of the headlight wipers. Looks like someone just grabbed it and ripped it off. All that's left is the metal stalk and a piece of plastic on the end and part of the tubing for the washer. SOB!!!

Now comes the decision...do I spend the money to fix it? (I could turn in to my insurance but with a 250 deductible I doubt I'd get much). Looks to me like the whole unit would need to be replaced but I'm not sure. Has anyone ever had that done? Cost? DIYS?

Frankly the thought of spending money on what I view as a worthless feature doesn't appeal to me. Another option would be to remove both of these wipers (the complete one and what's left of the other). Has anyone ever taken out these units? Most cars don't have them and frankly if there were an optional feature I wouldn't buy them. Just one more thing to go wrong or, as in my case, get torn off!! I've never had wipers on a car's headlights before and never had a problem. At this point I'm still deciding but wonder if the board has any advice?

BillAileo
03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
FWIW: In miserable winter or mud conditions I appreciate having them.

Billo

tgrumaj
03-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Since I don't do any off road driving I really haven't had situations (even her in NE) where they made a difference for me. Most of what I drive is here in town or interstates on vacation, so I'm sure for some folks, who drive on dirt/gravel roads, heavy mud, or other really demanding situations that might make these more valuable it's an important feature. Just not something that helps a lot for me.

I just finished looking under the hood and looks like the only way to even get at this stuff is to remove the entire headlight assembly. Even then I'm not sure but definately no direct way at the motor and wiper assemply from under the hood without removing a lot of stuff first. Looks like one of those "$100 for parts and $500 for labor" jobs! Then again I doubt I'm right about the $100 for parts!!

rucreus
03-19-2006, 01:26 PM
..when I purchased my xc, I passed over the newer models that did not have the wipers for the lights.

Keeping the lights clean and as bright as one can, (under engineered as they are), is very important. Road grime on the lenses cuts brightness to a very noticeable degree...

I'd fix them if I was you..

...but if you don't want to, I've seen aftermarket covers that hide the hole if you decide to remove them...

..you'll have to search for them as I didn't save the info.... like I said, I'd never give up the option.

starfish
03-19-2006, 04:13 PM
If the metal stalk and tubing are still there, why do you want to replace the motor? Oh well, if you need to change it for some reason or another, that corner of the bumper will have to be loosened and removed to access it. The newer models have eliminated the blade and have a pop out hi-pressure wash like the XC90. I'm not saying its any better, just different.

tgrumaj
03-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure the entire unit needs to be replaced. The plastic part at the end of the metal stalk going back to the motor is broken. The little that remains is clearly just part of the plastic part that held the blade. I would need to be removed and a completely new part inserted. The plastic end of the washer that is attached to the rubber hose is also broken. If it can be replaced at the end of the rubber hose then they may not need to remove the unit or get beyond what is exposed outside the car. Given my experieice with Volvo parts I was assuming they were not separate elements but an entire unit that would need to be replaced in it's entirety. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say as repair/replacement goes. I'll post back then.

rucreus
03-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I know one dealer that has a parts guy that will get small parts of most assemblies for me...

I recently broke a cover to the mounting screw on my roof rack bars... just a little plastic cover that has a cheap clip on it.

Called him up and described it and he zeroed right in on it.

For small parts like you need, don't be afraid to call other dealers parts departments....

In a real short time, I've found that some parts people will work with you,

....while others only seem to be able to order parts for their own service department requests.

RedXC
03-19-2006, 07:26 PM
If it cost a bunch, leave it alone. The wipers mostly are use for in the snow and sometimes when going off road with mud.

tgrumaj
03-20-2006, 05:50 AM
Called the dealer today and gave them the "good" news. Service advisor says $162 plus tax to replace the drivers side headlight wiper. Ouch but just what I thought...not enough to put in my ins. claim but more than enought to hurt. I'm going to see this weekend if I can get the broken plastic part off the metal stalk to the motor and if I can get the broken plastic end of the rubber hose off. If they can be easily removed then I could see a way of buying the entire external assembly for the blade and reattaching it to the metal motor stalk and the rubber hose. IF not I would have to have the dealer do it. I guess I'm going to replace as I just don't like the look of one wiper on and one off.

AWD*V70XC
03-20-2006, 05:59 AM
What about a supply only price from the stealer, you might find the cost for supply only will drop to about 60 bucks or less, if not try one of the lesser known 'on-line' parts supply companies or a breaker's yard. One of these has got to be able to supply a cheaper version of the same unit that the stealer it trying to charge you for.

tgrumaj
03-20-2006, 06:07 AM
The key will be my ability to figure out how to get the broken plastic parts off of the metal stalk and the rubber hose and then reattach the new ones. If I can do that then getting the part alone will be far less expensive. From my initial analysis and attempt to pull of the broken plastic remaining on the end of the metal stalk that's wasn't easy. I pulled so hard I was afraid I would pull the metal stalk out of the motor or break the motor housed within the interior of the bumper. I don't want to turn a $162 dollar job into a $400 job.

AWD*V70XC
03-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Tom, could you supply a photo of the broken item and then I will have a better idea of what we are dealing with, I cannot think you have to much damage caused but I would be happier to see what you are dealing with before I say anymore.

tgrumaj
03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
I was thinking about that myself....hard to explain what damage was done. The memaining plastic parts are not complete....they are cracked and broken so it would mean removing the broken parts and installing new ones. I'll get a photo on the board asap.

tgrumaj
03-21-2006, 06:57 AM
I've ordered the wiper arm and the blade assmebly from FCP Groton for about $60 new. The wiper arm attaches via a nut that is exposed by removing a black plastic cover just in front shaft coming out from the motor. Screw it off and remove the wiper arm (or in my case the piece of plastic that remains of the arm!!) and put the new one on. Snap the plastic cap back on and put on the wiper blade assmebly and you're done. Better than $170 at the dealer.

3/22/06
Well got the parts today and installed. very easy to do. Bolt off the old broken piece- bolt on the new and snap in the new blade and push the rubber washer hose onto the nipple on the wiper arm. Took about 10 minutes. Interesting to note that the new arm isn't exactly like the old one. Less plastic "cowling" over the wiper arm. More of a straight metal arm.

I also note that my headlight wiper only works when I execute a windshield wash with the right washer/wiper stalk. So the only way to wash and wipe the headlights is to wash and wipe the windshield. That probably is a good paradigm in muddy or dirty conditions but not in freezing/winter conditions.