PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak at Oil Filter

RedXC
03-18-2006, 09:26 PM
After washing/waxing my car today, saw a small drips of oil on the driveway. Look under the car, saw the undercar cover with oil drips. Scared the crap out of me because I have no more factory warranty, lifted up the car. Took the cover off while oil continues to drip. Found out the oil filter wasn't tighten enough, BUT the last oil change was 6 months ago (why leak NOW [sly] ). Or maybe is the oil ring on the filter cover gone bad. So I tighten it, re-checked for leaks and oil level was normal.

:o

Coffeeman
03-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Are you using a Volvo OEM filter? I've had problems with aftermarket filters on the XC, and was told by an independant Volvo tech. to use only Volvo filters, to avoid leaks at the rubber seal.

Edmonds17
03-19-2006, 11:24 AM
What you have discovered is that the oil/cannister system in your Volvo is "mickey mouse." Whole system depends on a thin, large diameter "0" ring seating properly when you tighten the plastic cannister. Very poor design.

It is really too bad that no one makes a simple conversion unit for a "spin on" type filter. Would be much more reliable. Would also be much cheaper since the cost of each paper cartridge is a lot more than a "spin on" type filter.

If anyone knows of a "spin on" conversion unit, it would sure help.

Volvo has simply lost touch with the people that actually own, use and maintain a Volvo vehicle. Our old 245 is much more user friendly than our XC.

Edmonds27

BillAileo
03-19-2006, 11:31 AM
For better or worse, the current Volvo filter is an attempt to be more environmentally responsible in two ways: It allows for the draining of all old oil from the used filter for recycling purposes and it minimizes the materials used in the filter itself (i.e. there is no metal cannister). I've been using Mann filters purchased in 10 packs from IPD when they go on sale. I haven't had any problems with these filters.

Bill

RedXC
03-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Spin on filters are good but if the old filter gasket sticks onto the filter hole groove. IF it doubles, big problem. That is what i dont like about spin on but I do double check when I do oil changes for anyone. And the plastic cansister seems to be easy to break.

I got some aftermarket brand filter but I'll switch to Mann filters after two more useage of the other brand I have left.