PDA

View Full Version : Picking up New XC90

jayoak22
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
I am new to this site, but read it quite a lot before i decided to buy a 2006 xc90. it is pretty informative. i know this question was asked before, but i will ask again as i have lost where it is. i am about to pick up our new xc90 in 2 weeks, but wanted to ask how i treat the engine for the first few precious miles. any do's and don't would be helpfull. thanks...Jason

weroll
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Jayoak Congrats with your new XC90. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

Which engine will you get?

bobigski
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
I am new to this site, but read it quite a lot before i decided to buy a 2006 xc90. it is pretty informative. i know this question was asked before, but i will ask again as i have lost where it is. i am about to pick up our new xc90 in 2 weeks, but wanted to ask how i treat the engine for the first few precious miles. any do's and don't would be helpfull. thanks...Jason
Just drive it!

bobigski
03-15-2006, 06:35 PM
:)
Just drive it!Not much can go wrong in these engines. Just check the oil every so often. Havent used any in 8500 miles. 05 XC90 2.5T AWD OSD May 15 2005.

dmd
03-15-2006, 08:00 PM
In general, newer cars are pretty well made and machined well. Years ago machining wasent so good, so you had to have a break in time.

That being said, even newer cars need a little TLC to have a good long life.

- Dont baby it, and dont race it for the first 500 miles. You want the rings to seat slowly. Do some half throttle acceleration after 50 miles or so.
- Dont use the cruse control for the 1st 100 miles, and vary the engine speed. Get on the freeway and let the engine do some of the work to slow the car. This helps the rings seat evenly.
- Dont brake hard for the first 100 miles so the brakes seat well, and the rotors dont glaze over.
- Use high test fuel so the engine isnt de-tuned. The engine will run a little cooler.

This is probably almost excessive, but I want the car to last a long time.

bigtomhammer
03-17-2006, 08:07 AM
When we picked up our XC90 2.5T AWD at the factory last year we asked the same question since we were planning on going on the Autobahn in Germany. All they told us to do was to keep the RPM under 4000. Other than that, just drive it normally. BTW, 3900 RPM is 115 MPH :).

Tom

jayoak22
03-20-2006, 03:32 AM
Thank you for the info. my engine is the 2.5 AWD. i have these concernd because i am about the drive ro GERMANY about 2 weeks after i pick it up. i just wanted to make sure i take good care of the engine. again, thanks for the input.

dmd
03-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Remember the dealer and others are here to sell cars, not have them last the longest. All they care is that it lasts the warrenty with no issues.

So when they say "just drive it", what they are sayig is "just drive it, and it will last fine at least until the warrenty runs out"