PDA

View Full Version : Headlight condensation!?

Bluecanoemike
03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
I recently noticed that there was condensation forming on the inside of both headlights. In my mind this cannot be good. Is there a way to seal the headlights and is this fairly straight forward. Anything would be helpful, cheers.

neuronXC70
03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
you are right. it's not a good thing. but it is very common.

my previous jeep had that problem in one of the headlight housings. this is what i found out.

often times, the crack, which may be from pebbles hitting the housing at high speeds, is very small and lets the moisture in at high speeds due to pressure but once inside, it cant get out. it is difficult to identify the crack, besides, sealing the crack would actually trap the moisture inside for good. what could be done easier is to help the moisture out. drill a very small hole in the housing in the dependent portion. but this is only a temporizing solution. this lets the moisture out so that you can have clear housing, but it also creates a bigger "crack" for the moisture to get in.

more definitive method would be to spend the money and get new housings.

i decided for the hole and it worked great.

Willy
03-14-2006, 01:46 AM
I have seen a bit of condensation when my car was still fairly new, to be honest I didn't think the headlight assemblies were sealed (or meant to be) at all :o
Willy