PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 2002?

Lomotpk
03-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm looking at XC's.
The local dealer 128Volvo has a lot of 2002's available.
Anything in particular I should look out for?

If there a group bias against/for 2002's?

Was there a major change since 2002 that makes another year ALOT more preferable?

Regards,

Richard

Prepo
03-11-2006, 02:58 PM
No group bias against this year. Most early 2001 problems were sorted out for the 2002 model year. You might want to test drive the car with particular attention to road noise in case there is a wheel bearing gone. Other than that it is the usual buyer beware as for any used car. If the dealer is offering say a 90 day or more warranty you will have a little more assurance. Good luck.

Edmonds17
03-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Volvo introduced drive by computer technology beginning with the '99 model year. Volvo calls it "drive by wire.' What they really mean is that the car operates by electrical signals to and from the computer, i.e. depressing the gas pedal means you are sending an electrical signal to the computer which then sends an electrical signal to tell the engine to run faster.

The first generation of these "drive by wire" cars were the '99-01's. They have a safety defect that Volvo is only now starting to address. Succinctly stated, there is an obscure part in the air intake system called a throttle body. The throttle body has sensors, hence the defect is usually referred to as "Electronic Throttle Module" or "ETM." When these sensors wear out, usually over 50,000 mi., the signal to the computer fails. The computer then stops the engine. This whole process happens unexpectedly and almost without warning. Sometimes the engine cannot be restarted (and the driver stranded) while sometimes the engine can be restarted (and the engine goes into "limp-in mode" where it runs roughly at 20-30 mph.) Volvo is just now extending the warranty on these defective Volvos to 10 yrs./200,000 mi. First generation "drive by wire" cars have a 94% failure rate before 100,000 mi.

Volvo switched in '02 to Bosch electronic throttle body units. These units use the same 'drive by wire" technology. The Bosch ETM'ss are just now approaching the mileage range where they may start to fail in large numbers. Nobody knows yet if the the Bosch units will fail at the same rate as the units in '99-01 units.

Research the "ETM" issue at this and other websites and you can learn all about the problem. There is a whole section dealing with ETM's at "www.MatthewsVolvoSite.com".

Volvo has designed all of these cars to be dependent on software that is only available at a Volvo dealer. When/If the ETM defect occurs, the cars must be hauled to a Volvo dealer for repairs. Independents don't have the software and, therefore, cannot replace a defective ETM because it requires software. The cost for a dealer to do the work is usually $1,000. plus.

You should be aware of the ETM on any '02 or later Volvo. Has it been replaced? How long will the seller warrant the ETM? These are important questions since Volvo hasn't issued an extended warranty for '02 and later years that use "drive by wire" technology. You can expect Volvo to stonewall you for help (as they have with the first generation cars) once the original warranty expires.

The second question to ask is: How far away from a Volvo dealer do I live and drive? If you drive in the West or in rural areas, driving a car dependent on dealer service hundreds of miles away might not be such a good idea. If you breakdown, you will have a problem getting repairs.

These are my views. Other Volvo owners may disagree.

Edmonds17

cbob
03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
I've been driving my 2002 for almost 84,000km without a major problem. Mostly loose sensors on door locks. Good value vehicle. I'd vote yes on buying a 2002 or newer.
The ETM issue has been flogged to death here, but my personal experience has been that GM vehicles have been by far the worst for these problems, followed by Chrysler, then Ford. Everyone I know who has owned a Blazer or Jimmy has had the engine "Module" fail, and most more than once. So far (touch wood) I don't know any of our local XC group that has suffered an ETM failure.

But hey, I also had no problems (other than noise) with my Scorpion tires, "handling" issues, or "obsolete" transmission, so perhaps I'm just outside the problem area. :)

RedXC
03-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Not much defects on 2002 and so on Volvo models. Just mostly you have to concern about is 99-2001 yr models.