PDA

View Full Version : Can the USA-Spec iPod adapter replace a 10 Discs Changer?

tapaugh
03-07-2006, 07:15 AM
I want to put the USA-Spec iPod adapter in my car with the HU 613 radio. I also have the 10 discs CD changer which I understand will be replaced by the USA-Spec adapter. Everything I have read indicates the USA-Spec adapter basically emulates a 6 discs CD changer, yet mine is a 10 discs changer. Will it work in my scenario to replace the 10 discs CD changer? Also, will my radio require a software update to make this all work? Thanks.

gary
03-07-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm assuming that your set-up is like mine in that you have the 10-CD changer in the back of the car. If so, it's my understanding that you CANNOT have both the CD changer and the USA Spec iPOD Adapter hooked up simultaneously. You need to choose one or the other. That said, I haven't really confirmed that, its just what I've heard either via this Forum or other documentation that I've read.

tapaugh
03-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Yes Gary, I understand that I will lose the use of my CD changer once the USA-Spec adapter is installed. As I said, all scenarios I've read using the USA-Spec describe it as replacing a 6 discs changer.......mine is a 10 discs changer. Will it work for me?

gary
03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm confused...will what work for you? The USA Spec iPod adapter? I assume it will work for you and you will lose the use of your 10-cd changer. I don't think it matters if you have a 6-disc changer or the 10-disc changer because when you hook up the adapter to the head unit and turn your iPod on, it will display on the head unit as the cd changer (even though it is not really a cd changer).

Art
03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Gary’s right. Although you will lose the 10 disc CD changer, you will still be able to use the single CD player in your HU. That said, with the USA Spec adapter installed, it’s likely you won’t be requiring the player once you have downloaded your library of songs into the iPod. No software updates are required for this install.

Jacksonfam5
03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Has anyone installed the adapter themselves and does it entail pulling the radio our or do you get at everything from down under the dash?

Art
03-07-2006, 04:26 PM
TJ,

I did my own install of the USA Spec Adapter alongside the HU-803. More here in this thread. (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50339&postcount=48)

You definitely need to access the rear of the HU which requires removing the CCM (climate control module) first. There is detailed explanation of the procedure here. (http://www.geocities.com/scotjo/ipod/ipodinstall.html) That link tends to drop out of site periodically due to bandwidth issues so you may need to return to it several times over.

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with the removal of the HU-650/850 as the trim surrounding the console may require a slightly different approach.

Jack
03-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Art is correct, the HU650/850 removal is slightly different. For one thing, the HU and CCM come out as one unit. Do not pry any part of the HU/CCM/dash assembly, you will break plastic pieces (don't ask me why I know!).

To remove:

1) start car, set parking brake, shift to D, turn off ignition
2) disconnect negative terminal on battery
3) carefully pry up the plate around the shifter, it is secured by spring clips on either side.
4) separate the wood/plastic/metal finish surround from the plastic plate around shifter (secured by a clip at each corner) and set aside (or twist 90 degrees and cover both with a towel to prevent scratching)
5) remove the two torx screws at the base of the HU/CCM assembly
6) pull the bottom of the assembly toward rear of car and down so the top clears the lip of the dash.
7) you should now be able to move the HU/CCM enough to access the rear of the HU.
8) if prewired for satellite or cd changer you will have to remove the cable plugged into the din connector on the rear of the HU.

Watch the position of the new cables when you reinstall -- it can be tight.

Not that hard really, takes about as long to do as it took to type this!

Good luck!

Jack
03-09-2006, 11:06 PM
tpaugh,

Actually Art posted a link to pictures like those you remember in his message three posts down!

But you are misdirecting Jacksonfam5 if you are responding to his post. He has a 2005 and doesn't have the same dash as you do. As I posted below, if he starts to pry off parts of his dash -- like the plastic trim where the pen holder was in earlier models -- he will break the trim clips.

tapaugh
03-10-2006, 07:43 AM
tpaugh,

Actually Art posted a link to pictures like those you remember in his message three posts down!

But you are misdirecting Jacksonfam5 if you are responding to his post. He has a 2005 and doesn't have the same dash as you do. As I posted below, if he starts to pry off parts of his dash -- like the plastic trim where the pen holder was in earlier models -- he will break the trim clips.
I removed my previous post. Sorry, not looking to mislead anyone into damaging their car.

Jack
03-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Sorry, I didn't intend to sound so abrupt in my message. :o

btw, did you get the sub installed yet?

elib
03-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I have a 2006 with a HU-650. What's the best way to get the trim up from around the shifter so I can get to the screws for the ECC/Stereo? What type of tool should I use so I don't scratch anything? Any hints for how to get the ECC/Stereo out easily?

Thanks,

- Eli

Art
03-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Eli,

The method for the removal of the trim around the shifter in your ‘06 could be slightly different than the instructions below for the MY2001. The penholder is noticeably absent. Maybe Jack can confirm this. :)

http://volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_center_console_removal.pdf

As far as tools are concerned, some of us have been using Bojo’s (http://volvoxc.com/features/bojo_tools/) soft pry tools for delicate jobs such as this. Naturally, anything similar such as a plastic putty knife would suffice just as long as it doesn‘t mar the surface that you‘re working on.

http://volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/Shifter%20Trim.jpg

Jack
03-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Eli,

Art is correct (as usual [thumbup] ) the console is a bit different in your car.

In the '05 and later the spring clips are on the left and right sides of the plate around the shifter and there is no pen holder to remove to gain access to the screws.

It would be ideal if you had a plastic wedge to pry up the plate on either side. I didn't have one and I just used my hands. If you just stick your fingers in the space around the shifter and pull up carefully I think you will find that you can lift it free. Try lifting one of the rear corners first. Once the entire plate is up you can access the two torx screws you need to remove to release the radio/climate control assembly. After you lift the surround you can separate the central grey part from the rest by releasing the clips at the four corners where they attach. This will give you more clearance and reduce the chance of scratching one of the pretty parts of your console.

We're in a friend's ski condo this weekend so I can't post any pictures or consult my copy of VADIS, but it's actually easier than it sounds!

elib
03-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Awesome, thanks guys. I've got the trim around the shifter pulled off now. In the morning I'll go to the store and buy a T25 ( I think that's the size I need to get the HU/CCM free on the bottom) and the power taps to get power for my PA11-VOL. Also, did anyone find a way to get the iPod dock cable out from behind the HU without drilling a hole in the cubby? Will the cable fit on the side next to the CCM somewhere?

All of the instructions I've seen said to "just pull up" on the trim around the shifter, which is easier said than done. I couldn't get at it *at all*. In the process though I found a MUCH easier way. This might only work on 06's, as I have no idea how other model years work so YMMV. I found that if you open the center console, you get access to the back side of the cup holders. Pressing in on the bottom of the rear surface of the cupholder unit will release the latch holding the cupholders in. Lift up on the rear of the unit and it should pull completely out towarsd the back of the car. Once this is out of the way, you have much better access to the trim around the shifter. I was able to just grab it, and pull it straight up. I was then able to seperate the trim from the shifter boot/ring.

Now I'm saving my pennies for a subwoofer :)
Thanks,

- Eli

elib
03-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I finished installing the USASpec PA11-VOL. The install was a breeze, the only tools I used were a T25 Torx driver, power drill with a 5/8" drill bit to put a hole in the back of the cubby to lead the dock connector and stereo cable with a standard headphone (1/8") tip out. Right now the PA11 is in the glove compartment because I didn't have any velcro to mount it with anywhere else.

Tips for future installers:

1) This may only be for '06 models, but I found that by removing the cupholders in between the seats first, I could just grab the wooden trim panel around the shifter and pull it right up.
2) Once this trim was free, disconnect it from the grey plastic trim that is attached to the leather boot on the shifter. This can easily be done by releasing the small clips on the bottom, two at a time i.e. front two or back two at once. The wooden trim goes up and the grey plastic goes down. Remove the wood trim and put it on the back seat for now.
3) Use the T25 and unscrew the two screws at the bottom of the CCM/HU. Once these are free I pulled the bottom of the unit out about 1-2" first, them was able to move the top part out at the same time. It came out fairly easily.
4) Disconnect any cables that are plugged into the back of the HU already for Sat prep, CD changer etc. My PA11 seemed like it would only plug into the inside plug, but it may have just not been lined up.
5) Use a tap-in plug to get power from the red wire on the back of the HU. I used taps for 18-22 gauge wire. Radio shack had them.
6) I took out a screw holding some trim down on the front left side of the shifter. I took a metal file and cleaned the paint off, and used this for my ground connection.
7) Once power was done I drilled the hole in the back of the cubby and ran the cables from there to the glove compartment
8) plugged everything in to verify that it worked, then I put the CCM/HU unit back and screwed it back in. Replaced the trim and everything is done!

now I'm on my way to Best Buy to get an iPod holder that will work with the cubby.

Also, need to figure out how to mount my XM radio. I think I'm going to try and hide all of the wires behind the dash etc.

Thanks to everyone for the all of the info! This process took about 30 minutes, and most of the time was me going back and forth from the car to my apartment for things I didn't bring down. (drill etc) Also, the install was clean, and the car looks perfect. Definately use lots of towels to prevent scratchs.

thanks!

- Eli

p.s. We should do a new thread for HU-650/850 owners who need info for iPods. I had trouble finding it till this thread poped up. We need an iPod sticky thread.

Art
03-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Eli,

Great to hear that the install went off without a hitch and thanks to Jack for providing those initial tips with respect to the HU 650. :) It seems that removing the components is much simpler now that the CCM and HU come out as one single unit.

With regards to the trim surrounding the shifter on earlier models, removing the penholder reveals the top two spring clips as seen in the photo.

elib
03-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Yes, thanks to Jack for the HU-650 info, potentially saved me some broken parts and a big headache.

One final note. The adapter is AWESOME. Direct mode is perfect, I really couldn't ask for any more. For those thinking about buying the PA11, I couldn't find info about switching between iPod and the RCA inputs. In direct mode (both DIP switches set to off) hitting the #5 preset/cd button takes you to the direct input from the iPod. You can choose the playlist/album/artist etc directly on the iPod, then once the playlist is going, you can use the forward/back buttons on the steering wheel or head unit to change tracks within the playlist. All other commands are done via the iPod buttons. To listen to the RCA inputs, you select preset/CD #6, and it plays the sound from teh RCA inputs.

One funny thing I noticed was that the iPod controls stop working when the parking assist is active.

I bought a Belkin TuneDok to hold the iPod. It's an iPod holder with "cups" on the bottom to fit into a cup holder in a car. The iPod attachment works well, with a good suction cup on the back that attaches to a flat metal spot on the back. Very solid. I cut one of these cups a few times so I coudl cram it in the cubby next to the stereo, and now I have my iPod in a nice holder pressed all the way in so the back of the iPod is touching the stereo, and it completely covers the cubby. Now I just need to figure out where to mount my XM radio. My SkiFi2 is a little big. I Was looking at the smallest one, the Roady XT I think at best buy. It's quite a bit smaller, and might fit better on the dash of my XC.