PDA

View Full Version : OBD II Code P0443 - Purge Control Valve Malfunction

c900s
03-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I have my 1999 V70 XC for three weeks now and just got the dreaded Check Engine light. I read the code as P0443 - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction. Is anyone familiar with this code? Is it possible the Purge Control Valve or the Purge Control solenoid that has gone bad? I cleared the code but it returned the second time I started the car again. If it is either of these two items, any idea where they might be located in the engine compartment?

We just had three inches of snow for the first time since owning it today. After six FWD Saabs, I do notice a difference, very similar to my old Jeep CJ-7 with QuadraTrac. It needs a "Power-on" style for driving in snow. It rides a lot better than my old Jeep. I am enjoying it very much!

c900s
03-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Well, I found my problem. After resetting the trouble code a few times and driving with the light on thinking that it still might be intermittent, I finally decided to become a parts changer. I ordered a new Purge Control Valve from FCP Groton (fantastic response - ordered late Friday afternoon and received on Monday!) but could not figure out where it is located. I finally stopped to talk with my indy about some other work and poised the question. The valve is located under the intake horn to the air cleaner housing. I did notice when pulling the air lines that one of them was in a vacuum. Swapped the valve, reinstalled the intake horn, and cleared the code. Problem solved.

tgrumaj
03-30-2006, 12:56 PM
That's a great feeling to be able to fix your own problem. You're a bit more adventrous than I am but have begun to do more and more given the cost of working on these things and the number of sensors, electronics and other gadgets that can go wrong.

This board has helped me feel more confident in trying some DIYS work and having some folks there to advise.

Welcome to the board...I can use all the advice I can get.