PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Adjustment Knob Splitting?

Ben Carufel
03-03-2006, 03:19 PM
I did a search but couldn't turn up much...

The mirror control knob on our '01 V70XC has split into two halves. The dealership wanted something like $200+ to replace it.

Is this a common problem? Should I try supergluing the two knob halves back together or is a new part necessary?

Thanks!

Ben

Art
03-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Ben,

This is the first that I’ve heard of this happening. In fact, I can’t even see a seam on the knob where it could potentially split or fracture.

The quote you were given was likely one for replacing the PDM (power door module) as I suspect there isn’t a replacement part available for just the mirror adjustment piece. (although I’ve been wrong before)

I was curious to know exactly how one would go about replacing the PDM so I went ahead and removed my own door panel. The module actually comes apart in two pieces near the top and is held together on either side by a series of 14 plastic tabs and 4 metal clips. However, upon closer inspection, it appears to be more difficult to extract than one might think. The problem lies in the fact that there isn’t enough clearance that would allow the lower part of the module to pull away as the plastic cone-shaped holder for the torx screw that holds it in place (near the bottom) is in the way. One would have to break the holder off in order to successfully pull down and remove the module. Something I personally wouldn’t suggest.

Perhaps Willy or someone else out there might have a better diagram or instructions to disprove my theory.

FWIW, Part # for the module is 09193383.

http://volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/Door%20Module.JPG

Ben Carufel
03-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Thank you very much for your info Art. It's much appreciated.

I'll snap some photos of the issue tomorrow or next week when I get back from a trip, and post them up just so the problem is visually documented. FWIW, the car has 110,000 miles (all by me) so it gets driven quite a bit...and at some point a few months back the knob just...split.

Ben

Ben Carufel
03-08-2006, 06:33 AM
All,

I'm out of town (without the car) on a business trip right now so haven't had a chance to take any photos of the problem yet, but I did take a closer look at the knob before I left town.

The split is from front to back, right down the very middle of the knob. Can you see any sort of seam whatsoever down that line?

Jack
03-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Ben,
I was curious to know exactly how one would go about replacing the PDM so I went ahead and removed my own door panel.
Amazing what the kind folks on volvoxc.com will do to help! [thumbup]

Ben Carufel
03-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Amazing what the kind folks on volvoxc.com will do to help! [thumbup]

I know, it's insane.

There's a guy like that in the M Coupe circles...he takes his car apart because he's "curious". Then again he does have an engineering background so he does know the basics of what he's doing.

d2gxc
03-08-2006, 09:46 PM
There goes our good old Reticular Activating System again!

I just said to my wife yesterday, "Dearest, why does your mirror knob have a split in it?" She said "I don't know, it just happened. Perhaps we should take it to the dealer to fix it".

We have about 83K miles on a 2001 XC. 200+ bucks, eh? I wonder if it's covered by extended warranty. I guess we'll find out...

Willy
03-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi,
I wasn't following this subject, I found the title to be rather strange, sorry for that :o
Now that I have read it, I find what happened stranger still!
If the knob is split, then there is probably nothing wrong trying to glue it, if it doesn't work, things won't be worse than before. Remember that some plastics need the right kind of glue and that the bonding effect of some glues depends on the pressure apllied when bringing the pieces together.
I have included the instructions for the removal of the module (DDM = driver door module). From the drawings, it seems that after removing the top section, the switch could be reached well enough to allow a repair. The instructions for removal of the side panel of the door can be found in the Resources - How To section of this forum. However, I can't find any info on how to disassemble the DDM itself in dicrete components, so it may not be possible to replace just one switch (I also can't find any part numbers of single components of the DDM).
Please let us know how it goes,
Willy

volvo_michael
08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I have a 2001 S80 T6 and the mirror adjustment knob split a few weeks ago. It was strange-- it just felt wrong. You never look at the mirror adjustment switch and it felt really weird and would not work.

I used the information in this thread to take the knob out. I took the control module out and pried the pieces of the knob free from underneath without any more dismantling. Since I am now able to adjust the mirror with the skinny little post that is still connected to the switch, I put everything back.

I glued the pieces of the knob back together. I may try to put it back in the car if the glue seems right. If I do I will have to remove the top from the control module in order to set the knob over the switch post. That seems a little more intimidating.

--michael

Jeremy
08-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Mine was split. Glued back together with CA ("super glue") and no issues for the last year.
Jeremy

trw
10-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, it appears that my 2001 V70XC's mirror adjustment control knob is split. Hope to glue it because the only alternative looks very $$$ to replace. Others?

howardc64
10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
This is the DDM (Driver Door Module) and my wife's 01 V70XC recently developed an "internal fault" code so I pulled it out and disassembled it to clean the circuit borads. It didn't work so I got a used one on ebay for $35 shipped. Search "volvo door switch" on ebay and look at v70/s60 parts, I see some for about $40-$60).

The whole DDM is snap tight construction with a couple of screws on it. Just use a small flat head screw driver and gently work all the tabs loose and you can pull it all apart. I took my old one apart to show you the construction to replace the top. Work the 6 tabs loose one at a time gently. I start by loosening all 3 tabs on one side and then work the other side. The mirror control "hat" just pull right off.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3k_eVujIKHo/TMUGPCIU_4I/AAAAAAAABOg/IAV5xIC7rPw/s800/DSCF4068.JPG

It was a little hard to pull the electrical connectors off the DDM though. Particularly the one on the back. They have press down tabs that faces the panel and you have to squeeze that back one really hard to get it out.

bob
10-25-2010, 07:45 AM
There is a TSB on this. The knob is available for a few dollars. You have to remove the door panel and remove the top half of the drivers door module to get the knob out. It's a fairly straight forward repair, and yes, it can be glued rather than replaced.

gobies
01-20-2011, 04:34 AM
Mine was split. Glued back together with CA ("super glue") and no issues for the last year.
Jeremy

ditto for me. used some super glue and a couple of toothpicks. a couple of tiny drops. didn't remove anything.

Jeremy
01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
ditto for me. used some super glue and a couple of toothpicks. a couple of tiny drops. didn't remove anything.

Glad that worked for you, mine is still holding together.

Jeremy