PDA

View Full Version : Is this the subwoofer harness?

Jhughes
03-03-2006, 08:06 AM
I have been wanting to purchase the Volvo subwoofer for my '01 and have searched this forum thoroughly and have read that some cars are pre-wired and some are not. So when I was looking to see if my '01 was pre-wired I found this harness and I am not sure if it is the right one. Does anyone know if this is the subwoofer harness? - Thanks

tapaugh
03-03-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't think that's the harness. I think that harness is part of the rear lights circuit. I'm preparing to put a sub in my 2003 XC70. The subwoofer harness connects to the tweeters located in the back D pillars on each side of the back window. It connects to one tweeter then after routing it across the back it connects to the other tweeter. It has a plug slighty to the left of center the connects to the subwoofer. I know the subwoofer kit for my car comes with the harness. It doesn't have to be ordered seperately. It's my understanding that most cars are not prewired from the factory.

By the way, if you want a great price on that sub, look at this link, it's about $100 less than most dealers sell it for.
http://vparts.autowebaccessories.com/store/volvo-xc70-v70-subwoofer-prod126_171_1655.php

Jack
03-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Right place, wrong plug. The sub plug is a 12 pin with two black and two red wires in the center.

Willy
03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I think that the plug in the pictures could be for connecting a tow hitch.
Willy

Jhughes
03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the replies;
Could it be the connector for a CD changer?
Willy: Wouldn't a tow hitch connector be on the outside of the vehicle?
It looks like I am going to have to wire the sub myself, which should be fun...

VWVespaVolvoinVA
03-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Willy is correct; that plugs into the tow harness, which is then fed through an opening in the floor and out to the hitch. Been there, glad I did it.
-Ken

Jack
03-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the replies;
It looks like I am going to have to wire the sub myself, which should be fun...
It's not that bad, just takes a little time. The connectors are all prewired. IM me with a fax number and I'll send you a copy of the installation instructions if you're interested.