PDA

View Full Version : Central locking gremlin/warranty issue

VSHVolvo
02-27-2006, 05:46 PM
I have a 2001 xc70 "volvo certified" from a volvo dealer with the 6yr/100,000 mile warranty.

My door locks have been acting quite strangely lately. If I press the lock/unlock button the doors may all lock, they may unlock, or several doors may lock(or unlock), or sometimes nothing at all happens -- it is very random. Also, the key fob will sometimes activate the door locks while the key is in the ignition with the engine running... I think this may be some kind of computer melt-down.

Is this a warranty issue? I would like to go armed with the right info if I have to do battle with the service department...

Thanks in advance.

Phrog
02-27-2006, 06:23 PM
It might be worth changing the battery in the key fob,
or trying the other key fob (if you have two), to see if
that makes a difference.

pep
02-27-2006, 06:36 PM
I had the same issues and found the only thing that helped was to use the key to open the doors. I don't use the keyless remote and was not using it when the trouble started. I also can't use the key to lock the doors or they unlock themselves within a few minutes. I lock the car using the lock on the door. I did not call the dealer about this one but have chosen to live with it instead. It happened several months ago and this process has taken care of it.

VSHVolvo
02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
To clarify: Most of the randomness occurs when I press the door lock/unlock button located on the driver's side door.

The key fob seems to work consistently. I was told though that the key fob buttons are supposed to be disabled or not recognized by the car when the key is in the ignition and the motor is running. (security issue)

weird.

Art
02-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Below is a link to a thread containing a TNN that is supposed to assist Volvo Techs in diagnosing customers‘ complaints with respect to door lock issues.

Door Lock Logic (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=57435&postcount=8)

I was told though that the key fob buttons are supposed to be disabled or not recognized by the car when the key is in the ignition and the motor is running. (security issue)

weird.

That’s somewhat true but only the remote‘s locking function is disabled. When attempting to lock the doors using the key in the driver‘s door with another key in the ignition, none of the passenger doors will lock. Also, with the key in the ignition and the driver’s door open, the doors will lock and unlock when the button on the driver’s door module is pressed. This and the other features previously mentioned prevent the key from being locked inside the car.

slowflyer
03-01-2006, 08:55 PM
I think there was a recall on the 2001 for locking problems. The symptoms are not exactly like yours but you might want to ensure compliance.

Our 2001 fobs would unlock the car after we had locked it. We would come back to find an unlocked car. Haven't had the problem since the dealer fixed it.

The service rep said there was a recall but I never got a notice or a recall number to provide for you.

VSHVolvo
03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
I brought the XC to Ravenna Volvo in Seattle (Where I bought it) and they found and fixed all of the problem I had been having

1.) Door locking problems traced to faulty lock in driver side rear door. Replaced.

2.) Auto climate control problem (full A/C and fan no matter what temp) traced to faulty cabin fan/thermostat ass'y. Replaced.

3.) Intermittent start failure messages from computer -- traced to multiple encoded keys on same ring (I have a VW key on the ring as well) this generated interference -- removed key.

So all replaced under warranty, and I drove away satisfied. I inquired as to how the ETM replacement deal is going for them -- one of the service guys said they had about one a week for awhile now. No questions asked replacement policy -- as long as the right codes are stored. He said that people come in with a ETM problem, but can only get the cleaning procedure due to the code displayed. He said they are back soon after the cleaning for the real deal replacement beacuse the computer finally stores the right code for replacement. Why not avoid the intermediate step? Any cost savings on ETM replacement has to be lost on shop time/labor, I would think -- especially if the customer comes back the next week. Assuming that they don't get flattenened by a semi on I-5 when the car goes into "limp-home" mode.

So, to the mechanics, engineers out there -- if you start getting ETM symptoms, is there a way, or some manuver that can be done to increase the chances that the computer will store the correct error codes (i.e. putting the car in N and reving the engine, or something?