PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough Heat

BG60
02-26-2006, 06:21 PM
:confused: Just purchased an 01 XC70 with 100,000 km in January which was unusually warm by New Brunswick standards. February has been more the norm with lows in the -20C (0F) range. Have noticed the temperature gauge hovers 2 notches below the mid-point with the result being the ECC is unable to keep the temperature at 22C (72F). I get a drafty feeling around my feet and the air blowing down there is luke warm.

My other Volvo (98 S70) runs just slightly above the mid point in the deep cold with plenty of heat.

Would like to hear from other cold climate cousins: Is there a problem with the thermostat? Is it something that can be adjusted? Before I visit the dealer would like to know if it's a real problem and what this could cost me!

Thanks!!

BG60
98 S70 200,000 km
01 XC70 barents blue, premium, convenience & touring packages

Prepo
02-26-2006, 07:37 PM
It sounds more like a problem with the heating temperature sensor than the coolant thermostat. Even if cooling water was lower than optimum, the interior heating would compensate, I think. Try jacking up the temperature control and set the fan on manual with the heat manually directed towards your feet. If you feel warm air now, you may want to have the automatic temperature sensor checked. BTW I recently had mine replaced when the heating became progressively cooler on a long trip.

Jack
02-27-2006, 09:00 AM
My temperature gauge is always dead center, no matter the outside conditions, after the engine has had sufficient time to warm up. I'd agree with checking the thermostat.

Vwvolvo
02-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I agree with Jack. First, temp gauge has nothing to do with climate control so this mean that if you can get the temp of the engine '' dead center '' and you have no heat, don't look further, go to the thermostat. easy to change and very low cost.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

Prepo
02-27-2006, 05:57 PM
The automatic climate control should not deliver cold air when set for more heat irrespective of whether the coolant temperature is a little lower than what you think should be correct. Even from cold, once the temperature gauge creeps up (but still below the eventual coolant temperature) the heating will be effective if the temperature sensor that measures interior temperature via the small grill towards the bottom of the dash panel decides the interior temperature is below the desired set value. Typically there is a time delay until the coolant temperature rises sufficiently so as not to blow cold air. I intrepeted your question to mean that you were not happy about having cold feet. Either the sensor intake grill is blocked with say animal hair or the temperature sensor is faulty so that the sensor thinks that the interior temperature is higher than the set level and cold air is delivered. That is why I suggested you make the simple test to confirm the problem. Personally, I don't see how changing the coolant themostat will solve the interior heat problem. In any event, if you get your dealer to diagnose the problem, I would be curious to hear the result.

Scrapr
02-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Sounds like your car is overcooling. The heating system can't keep up with the cold ambient air. You can do what the truckers do and cover a portion of the radiator. Get fancy with a grill cover. Or just put a piece of carboard in front of your radiator. (Remember to take off when it warms up!)

Vwvolvo
02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
THERMOSTAT. Like scrapr just said, since your temp gauge doesn't reach dead center, your engine is overcooling. Happened to me last winter. Today was -30C with wind and on the highway it was ???????? hot in the car and the temp gauge was DEAD CENTER. Your thermostat stays in the open stage so coolant will not reach normal temp no matter what ( unless you block all incoming air). Thermostat is approx $25cdn and takes 0.5 hours to replace max.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

BG60
02-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Themostat was replaced for exactly what Luc said it would cost. Engine temperature is now regulated at the mid-point with plenty of heat to ward off -15C with a windchill of -25C. Thanks to all who responded!

Bob
Fredericton, NB CANADA

Vwvolvo
03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey BG60, glad that everything is fine now. By the way, my wife's from Eel-River Crossing N.B. approx 5Km from Dalhousie.

Luc
Montreal, Canada