PDA

View Full Version : VST Strut Tower Brace installed

ifnt420
02-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Had these ordered from VST Japan throught the local RICA dealer. (I think they are also available from IPD in the States) Took about 10min to install.

I was truly surprised at the differences this single Strut Tower Brace made in the rigidity of the XC70.
My XC has almost 140,000km, and has been through some rugged terrains and jobsites during the past 3~4 years. Hence it is not as tight as the day it was delivered.

Most noticeable difference is that the Brace eliminated the flex/rattle/noises when going over speed bumps, or driving over surfaces that articulates the axles.
Handling wise, not as noticeable but the feeling in the steering wheel feels tighter and more precise when making a turn. It's as if someone has tightened all the suspension parts in the front end.

Just a few thoughts that I think fellow XCers would like to hear. Will report back after a few thousand KMs.

Here are a few pics:

http://clie.ws/bbs/uploads/post-8188-1140459977.jpg

http://clie.ws/bbs/uploads/post-8188-1140459998.jpg

http://clie.ws/bbs/uploads/post-8188-1140460016.jpg

RedXC
02-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Looks pretty cool! I was thinking of installing one but don't know where to find it. Any prices? IPD has them huh, hmm!! Where did you order that German Plate?

So to replace the upper motor mount and anything that brace covers, the brace have to come off?

Do you have any more closeup of where the strut braces are mounted at?

Oh man, I love that Volvo jumpsuit that mechanic is wearing! I want one! But was he working on your car without fender covers? :eek: [thumbup]

Edit: Couldn't find any on XC70 for chassis braces at IPD. :confused:

pico de luuks
02-22-2006, 05:53 AM
RedXC,

Just give IPD a call. I know they had some left a few weeks ago. I think they were $400 so they don't come cheap. If you are really looking for tightening up your ride, consider the anti-sway bars. Huge improvement for about double the money (installed).

:cool:

Dani K.
02-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I asked my volvo dealer over here about installing the anti-sway bar on the my 2006 MY and he said that the 2006 model already comes with the anti-sway bar. Is that correct? Anyone having a picture of the anti-sway bar installed?

Prepo
02-22-2006, 09:33 PM
The pic seems to show the new sway bar duplicating what's there aleady . . . . ? What's the box on the dash for?

Art
02-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Just so there’s no confusion guys, strut tower braces (like the one ifnt420 had installed) help to reduce body roll and are most effective when used with anti sway bars. Anti sway or stabilizer bars are installed underneath to the vehicle's front and rear suspension components and are used to combat the roll of a car as it corners. Anti sway bars are generally considered a standard feature on most new cars, but there are beefier aftermarket kits to further improve a vehicle’s handling.

IPD Anti Sway Bar Kit (http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=649&NodeID=1360&RootID=629)

Btw, that's a nice lookin' strut brace ifnt420. Chrome rules! :cool:

Dani K.
02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Art,

From the attached picture, could you see if the anti-sway bar is there?

Art
02-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Yes Dani. If you look closely at your attachment, you can actually see both rt and lft end links near the inside of each wheel. The end links are the metallic looking structures. One end of the link is attached to the rear strut and the other to the rear anti sway or stabilizer bar.

Here's an image of my front bar end link (center of photo). You can actually see a bit of the front stabilizer bar that it's connected to near the bottom of the pic.

http://volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/Front%20Stabilizer%20Link.jpg

I'll try and get a better shot of the bars for you tonight. :)

pico de luuks
02-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Art,

Dani, the OEM anti sway bar set is 22mm in front and 19 mm in the rear. The IPD kit is 25 and 22 mm and the difference is very noticable.

I haven't verified this, but I believe the rear anti sway bar on a non nivomat equiped XC is actually less than 19mm.

Art
02-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Dani,

Here’s a photo of my front stabilizer bar located just below the tie rods. At the left of the pic, you can see the vertical end link that’s it attached to. As Pico mentioned the stock front and rear bars are not as beefy as the IPD units. Sorry I didn't post a pic of the rear bar but we just received huge dump of snow here and most of the garage floor is wet. :)

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/Front%20Stabilizer%20Bar.JPG

BTW, how about a report on the upgrade Pico? I might also spring for a set if there is a noticeable difference in handling. :D

Dani K.
02-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for that Art. Did you just take that picture? Wow, you are energetic and know how to deliver.[thumbup]

I agree that these may be smaller, but to upgrade, I probably need to be sure that there is a real and significant change in handling.

By the way, I wanted to wash my car and post pictures of the side scuff plates and rear roof spoiler, but it's raining in here. Isn't that great!!!!!!! A first in Qatar this year. Oh yes and it is very cold 13C [cool2]

Art
02-22-2006, 11:38 PM
No trouble at all Dani. Glad to be of service. :)

I really feel that the IPD bars in addition to the heavy duty bar end links should provide a tighter handling package over the oem components. I’m hoping to hear a glowing review from Pico.

A VST strut tower brace would be the icing on the cake. :D

pico de luuks
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I really feel that the IPD bars in addition to the heavy duty bar end links should provide a tighter handling package over the oem components. I’m hoping to hear a glowing review from Pico.

A VST strut tower brace would be the icing on the cake. :D

Absolutely, I had posted some first impressions in the "too much body roll" thread and I am still very pleased with the upgrade. The $800 or so are well spent if you are the (occasional) spirited driver, but even during "normal" driving conditions you'll notice a positive difference. For me the biggest plus is the increased tightness when changing lanes at higher (55mph+) speeds; a huge difference. Especially since I don't have DSTC every bit of handling improvement not just nice to have but probably also additional safety.
On and off ramps also have become more fun to drive. :D

I'll take some pics soon to illustrate the visual difference with the stock sway bars.

[see below, thanks lawrence ;) ]

Lawrence Lee
02-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi,

Yes, I fully agreed after installing the upgraded Anti Sway Bar, the handling of the XC becomes tighter and drivability increased. I have took some pictures to share with you folks which I have recently installed the above.

Lawrence - Singapore

Ron3KL
03-18-2006, 05:30 AM
When I first got my car (MY02 VOR) I remember being disappointed because it didn't handle as well as the MY01 that I test drove. I always wondered why.

A few months ago I installed the IPD anti-sway bars. I was shocked to discover that the old Volvo OEM rear anti-sway bar is only 14mm ! The specification in the sales brochures matched what has been quoted in this post vis. 19mm

The front anti-sway bar is 22mm which matches the specification.

So I am wondering if anybody with a MY01 (no Nivomat) could check their vehicle and post the actual measurements back here? If the MY01 has got a thicker anti-sway bar on the rear it might finally explain the difference between the car I test drove and the one I bought.

BTW the IPD anti-sway bars are fantastic. Very impressed with them.

However, here's a heads up if you get them fitted. To install the front bar the subframes need to be lowered. That can push the steering shaft back into the cabin slightly, undoing the rubber boot on the steering shaft where it goes through the firewall. As a result engine noise gets transmitted up the steering shaft and sounds like a metallic rubbing/scraping inside the dashboard. A bit like a mechanical speedo cable coming loose, except the speedo is electronic :confused: Took us a long time to diagnose and five minutes to fix.

pico de luuks
03-18-2006, 09:26 AM
When I first got my car (MY02 VOR) I remember being disappointed I was shocked to discover that the old Volvo OEM rear anti-sway bar is only 14mm ! The specification in the sales brochures matched what has been quoted in this post vis. 19mm

The front anti-sway bar is 22mm which matches the specification.

So I am wondering if anybody with a MY01 (no Nivomat) could check their vehicle and post the actual measurements back here? If the MY01 has got a thicker anti-sway bar on the rear it might finally explain the difference between the car I test drove and the one I bought.

Ron,

I think the difference in the 14 vs. 19 mm is dependent on nivomat. with nivomat 19mm, without 14 mm. My 02 (w/nivomat) had the 19mm.

ifnt420
04-26-2006, 08:07 AM
The $800 or so are well spent if you are the (occasional) spirited driver, but even during "normal" driving conditions you'll notice a positive difference. For me the biggest plus is the increased tightness when changing lanes at higher (55mph+) speeds; a huge difference. Especially since I don't have DSTC every bit of handling improvement not just nice to have but probably also additional safety.
On and off ramps also have become more fun to drive. :D

Well put Pico!! [thumbup]

I just had the IPD Anti Swaybars + Heavy Duty End Links installed last night, and the handling is literally Day and Night difference.
Together with the 18" wheels/tires upgrade I feel like I'm driving a V70R in Comfort mode. :D
This is THE mod of choice if you want a better handling and safer XC!! [happy]

2 thumbs up for IPD.

Jack
04-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Anyone want to speculate on the effects of just installing the rear bars? Would it be unbalanced or just not as much improvement. Installation of the rear looks easy. The front looks like a DIY pita!

Sasquatch
04-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Art,

Wow, what a big box of a muffler! ~~

I guess I never really looked. I bet you could save 25 pounds by putting on a replacement!

Sasquatch
04-27-2006, 03:30 PM
IPD Anti Sway Bar Kit (http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=649&NodeID=1360&RootID=629)

For a second there, I thought the price was $31 which I figured isn't too bad. Then I saw that they are over $200!!!! Zoinks!