PDA

View Full Version : XC prices/deals

Jorge-789995
01-30-2006, 05:55 PM
One thing that I've always wondered about is why there is so little discussion regarding the prices/deals that are available on the XC. Maybe it's because folks only do it once, then they've got the car for years and years. I would think that this is a good place to educate others on what is available regarding incentives, good lease deals and factory to dealer cash. I've seen that info from time to time, but it's only spotty, and that sort of info is generally good until the end of each month.

I'm currently contemplating leasing a 2006. I don't want this topic to degrade into the "Leasing -evil - paying cash -Good" discussion we've seen before. Either way, lease or cash, the time comes when you have to determine whether the negotiated price (not the payment) is a good deal or not. I'd like more assurances that I'm not leaving some cash on the table that I did not know about.

Anyone care to discuss prices? Maybe talk about money is too passé.

Currently, the offer on the table for the selling price is 2.8% over invoice. What are other people seeing? And if it is better than 2.8% over invoice, then how did you get it? I don’t see much as far as incentives on Edmunds.

Thanks,
Keith

jmeljr
01-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I called around the Detroit area where alot of people get the employee price which is called A-plan which is under invoice. I was suprised to hear it was only $2-$3k under MSRP and then there was a $4,500 rebate as well. I seem to remember it being about $7500 under MSRP. APLAN is pretty much what the dealer pays and then Ford pays the dealer a commission for handling the transaction. It is supposed to not give one dealer the advantage over another in getting employee business. That being said, rebates differ from month to month and region to region.
You say your price is 2.8% over invoice, I would say you have to weigh that against what MSRP is and if you perceive it as a good deal. I think people tend to think dealers make more than they do, some are crooks and make a killing. Most want you to come back and try to give you a fair deal. Check out a few different place to keep them honest. In Detroit where i live it is a buyers market and very competitive so I make a few calls and let them know I am shopping and I want their best deal. And if you are leasing the price isn't the issue all of the time its the rate and residual that you receive on the model that really determines the monthly payment.
In the past I always leased, but I just bought a demo from a dealer here because I thought it was a good deal. 2005 XC 70 with 12,000 miles prem pkg, climate pkg, conv pkg, satellite prep, air filtration Cert. Pre owned (was svc mgrs demo) 6yr 100k warranty for $29,000. I shopped new and used all over the country, ebay,auto trader,etc. I know it is always a nerve racking pain in the rump shopping hoping you get the best deal. Now that I am done I am happy with my purchase and am enjoying my car, I wont look back and worry about if I could save anymore.
Shop around and try to educate yourself about your purchase, and in my opinion try to purchase locally as that is where you will want to service your car. I hope this helps.

freewill
01-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Keith,
Is that the regular invoice price or the invoice price less the current factory to dealer cash amount of $4,500? I don't think Edmunds is showing that as the current incentive but think you can see it at cars.com (have also heard this directly from a few dealers). I thought this was nationwide & not regional, so would assume it's available in WI. Of coure, it's said to end at the end of the month (i.e., tomorroow). A handful of dealers with whom I've been in contact (around Boston) have seemed wiling to deal at 1 to 2% over the adjusted invoice price. Of course, I still haven't been able to pull the trigger but that's a different story.

Good luck.

Jack
01-30-2006, 11:38 PM
We leased our XC70 last June. The cap cost was invoice minus incentive, which was $5,500 for a lease at the time. The purchase incentive then was $4,000. My copy of the invoice shows the A & Z plan prices being the same as the invoice and the X plan being a bit more.

We visited our dealer a couple weeks ago preparing to do an OSD of a V50 AWD in a few months. He showed me the current incentive list. The XC70 has $4,500 in dealer support, the V50 gets $1,000. It doesn't help us for the OSD, but he said he'd sell a Cross Country for invoice minus incentive plus $300, or $4,200 below invoice/A plan/X plan. One can only imagine what the discounts will be like in August!

Tyrant11429
01-31-2006, 03:39 AM
[cool2] [cool2] [cool2] [cool2] [cool2] [cool2]

bbbuzzy
01-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Check out www.stutzvolvo.com for a Boston area dealer that lists prices directly (new inventory). I found another dealer to match the price when I bought an '05. MSRP was $40,475 and I paid around $33,300, 7K off MSRP. Not bad for a color/equip combo I wanted. I think similar deals can still be had.

jmeljr
01-31-2006, 07:39 PM
It sounds like Volvo has a bit of a different cost structure than Ford and Lincoln Mercury according to Jack. I am not suprised because the diff between A/Z/D plan (ie, Employee, retiree, Dealer Plan) and MSRP is alot smaller than the US nameplates. A/Z can buy any product under the Ford Umbrella whereas as of a couple years ago Dealers and their families can only buy from their own dealer at cost (and still get a commision from Ford). Dealership employees did not even get the A/Z/D discount. Mistake in My book. X plan is supplier discount and generally is around 3% above A/Z/D plan or roughly $100 over invoice on Ford and L/M. I am glad to hear that you guys are saying that the rebates are the same in differnt regions with Volvo as with the US companies they tend to differ. I think the manufactures should try to keep it equal so people buy locally. My family is in the car biz and we would have people come from CA to buy a car in detroit because its so darn competitive here. All I can get is a discount on L/M product so I bough ta 1 yr old XC70. I think thats a mistake because I would think Ford would want me to buy anything under their umbrella as I have a friend that can get me the manufacture discount on a Saab, which is tempting. The Saab is OK but the only rig that was tempting enough for me to jump ship on the family was the Volvo XC 70. Those seats are just too good for my back to pass up, especially driving 18-20,000 miles a year.

Jack
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Another thought for Jorge and others considering a new purchase is the $500 discount for members (after 1 year) of the Volvo Club of America.

http://www.vcoa.org/promotions/04-04_vcna.php

They say it expires this June, but you never know....

Tyrant11429
01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
yeah anythings helps

skibo
02-05-2006, 12:34 PM
One thing that I've always wondered about is why there is so little discussion regarding the prices/deals that are available on the XC.

Have you looked in the 'OSD & Car Buyer's Forum' that shows up lower down the page? When I was in the market, that were I spent my time on this site. This area tends to be more for owners, so price is less of an issue, I guess.

On this topic, though, I've been seeing some TV adds showing Volvo offering the premium package for free for some limited time on the '70 and '90