PDA

View Full Version : Where's my Volvo ETM letter!!??

SexyXC
12-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Alright, it's been roughly a month since I called Volvo customer service and asked about the ETM warranty extention and reimbursements for past owner expenses. They said they'd be sending letters out in a couple of weeks, and they double checked my address to be sure I got it. So what's the deal? No letter has arrived! Has anyone else gotten theirs? Or does anyone have news on when it might be sent out? I want my $1200 back!

BillAileo
12-27-2005, 06:13 AM
FWIW: If you want to see what Volvo has posted for its dealers & are willing to spend six bucks you can download their SMB entitled "Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) Extended Warranty" at: https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=whatsNew.main

Of course it's probably just the information that already been discussed here. However, knowing that the dealers now have access to an official document on the extended warranty perhaps it would be possible to request your reimbursement without waiting for a letter to catch up with you....

Bill

Marc
12-28-2005, 02:52 PM
For what it's worth...

Below is the text of an e-mail I received yesterday from Volvo HQ in Sweden...I was asking about the new ETMs and whether they are the same as the original or an improved design (yep, I knew the answer going in, but I wanted to hear Volvo's rationale):

Thank you for your email dated 16th December 2005, informing us of the problems you have experienced with the ETM, the throttle module, in your Volvo V70XC and the concern this has caused. It is with regret that we learn of this situation and we understand your wish to bring this matter to our attention. Unfortunately, there may be occasions when components fail, even with a Volvo.

We are naturally proud of the reputation we have earned for safety, reliability and longevity and it is always disappointing to learn of failures in this respect.

May we take this opportunity to inform that Volvo Cars of North America Inc are, according to policy, responsible for all matters related to our products in the USA. In addition, there are ongoing discussions on each market how this matter should be handled. There are also processes of continuous improvement of parts.

We understand that your vehicle will be repaired. Once the repair is completed, your Volvo vehicle will, once more, perform in line with its specifications. There is no need to worry. Please be assured that your Volvo dealership will do their utmost to rectify the matter with the ETM in your vehicle.

Should you have any further inquiries, please feel free to contact Volvo Cars of North America Inc directly as follows:

Customer Relations Department
Volvo Cars of North America Inc
7 Volvo Drive
Rockleigh, NJ 07647
Tel: +1 800 458 15 52
Fax: +1 800 992 39 70
Email: [email protected]

We thank you for your views and for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your request.

Yours sincerely,

Elin Ask
Global Customer Relations Advisor
Dept 57130, SAA2
Volvo Car Corporation
SE-40531 Göteborg
Sweden
Telephone: +46 31 3250077
Fax: +46 31 59 55 55

Bud
12-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Marc ..... That's just about the least informative letter I've ever seen. Their staff obviously gets paid by the word, NOT by the substance or resolution.

Bud
12-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Alright, it's been roughly a month since I called Volvo customer service and asked about the ETM warranty extention and reimbursements for past owner expenses. They said they'd be sending letters out in a couple of weeks, and they double checked my address to be sure I got it. So what's the deal? No letter has arrived! Has anyone else gotten theirs? Or does anyone have news on when it might be sent out? I want my $1200 back!

Hmmm? I also checked with them about a month ago, and they told me it would be a couple MONTHS, not weeks. :confused:

I also checked that I was in their mail system and good thing .... they had my name incorrect.

Marc
12-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Exactly.

I especially liked the line in the fourth paragraph: "There is no need to worry." My question was "Are the new ETMs a new improved design or are they identical to the original, flawed ETMs" (yep, I knew the answer...my point to them is that we're not really interested in going through the ETM headache over and over again).

Anyway, their reply does nothing to address that. And to think, the point of buying this car was to keep it until it exceeded 200K. We'll see how that goes.

It certainly appears that this is merely a form e-mail.

Marc

SexyXC
02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
I called on 17 Feb 06 and asked them where my ETM letter was? I was told by customer relations that over 40,000 letters were going out and that everyone should have theirs by the end of MARCH. Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it.

Tyrant11429
02-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Everyone wants there money back, guess we'll just have to wait.

Bud
02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Over at Dons ETM room, a couple people said they have already received their rebate checks, but that it took a full 8 weeks after they mailed their "letter" in.

Volvo claims they have been mailing these out since mid-December, so I guess this is the first evidence (?) they were telling the truth.

3p141592654
02-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Got my letter today! 10years 200k miles plus software upgrade after March 1. No surprises, its exactly what everyone has been saying all along.

I've got 81000 miles on the original ETM and its still going so no reimbursement of past repairs for me.

SexyXC
02-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm wondering if I could see what your letter states. I'm also wondering if I can go ahead and submit my paperwork to get reimbursed for my faulty ETM with the info given in your letter. Is it just a form letter? Or does it have a code or account number specifically assigned to you? Anyway, if you could post an attachment, that would sum it up for me and possibly get me started on the road to reclaim my $1200.

DonWillson
02-24-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm wondering if I could see what your letter states. I'm also wondering if I can go ahead and submit my paperwork to get reimbursed for my faulty ETM with the info given in your letter. Is it just a form letter? Or does it have a code or account number specifically assigned to you? Anyway, if you could post an attachment, that would sum it up for me and possibly get me started on the road to reclaim my $1200.

I talked to the Volvo ETM Rebate center in Memphis this morning. She said 40,000 letters have been sent but she also said you do not need to wait for the letter. Go ahead and send in the following letter and your repair order. You can find a copy of the letter at http://matthewsvolvosite.com; click on 'Volvo Forum'; click on 'Don's ETM Room'; click on 'the ETM letter to owners'

Send in you ETM replacement costs, include cleaning, towing, and anything else what was replaced before they got to the ETM. Just assume they are going to do the right thing.

In addition, send me your name, city, state, model year, series. This will add to the data base so I can contact you as things happen in the future. Send to [email protected]

Don Willson

pep
02-26-2006, 03:51 PM
I talked to the Volvo ETM Rebate center in Memphis this morning. She said 40,000 letters have been sent but she also said you do not need to wait for the letter. Go ahead and send in the following letter and your repair order. You can find a copy of the letter at http://matthewsvolvosite.com; click on 'Volvo Forum'; click on 'Don's ETM Room'; click on 'the ETM letter to owners'

Send in you ETM replacement costs, include cleaning, towing, and anything else what was replaced before they got to the ETM. Just assume they are going to do the right thing.

In addition, send me your name, city, state, model year, series. This will add to the data base so I can contact you as things happen in the future. Send to [email protected]

Don Willson

Has Volvo agreed to pay for towing related to ETM failures? If so do we send a receipt to the Memphis address? I had been told more than once by Customer Care that towing would not be paid for. Thanks for your assistance.

Bud
02-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Has Volvo agreed to pay for towing related to ETM failures? If so do we send a receipt to the Memphis address?.

Just assume they are going to do the right thing.

No, I think he meant to include it, just in case they do the right thing.

ncst8wuf
02-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Has anyone used the letter on matthewsvolvosite? Did you just cut and paste into Word or some other word processor?

BTW, what is the new software upgrade going to accomplish? I thought the problem was a design one, where scrubbing caused the failure. How is software going to eliminate that?

Thanks

Afrixc70
03-05-2006, 11:59 PM
I am having the same trouble with my ETM at the moment, I have covered 148 000 km (92 000 miles) in my 2001 XC70. I have been quoted US$1200 for replacement as obviously my warranty has expired.

Could I ask a favour, anyone who received their letter from VOLVO could you please forward a copy to me, I want to see if I can use it here in South Africa to at least get a price reduction.

Thanks Jeremy

3p141592654
03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
The letter I received is identical to this one.

http://matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5991&sid=176e63754580a22db057898862226982

SexyXC
03-13-2006, 05:46 PM
That's it! My patience ended today and I called the Volvo Parts and Service Warranty Rebates Office in Memphis Tennessee. I asked if I could just send in my service order from the dealership showing the replacement/costs of a new ETM. The service rep said that was fine! So I typed up a letter asking for a full refund for the ETM replacement I paid for (under the new ETM warranty policy). Make sure you include your name, mailing address and VIN# (even though it's probably listed on your service order). I had other parts replaced during my visit, so the taxes were off. The rep said they'd account for that and reimburse the taxes for just the ETM service too! She also said the check would take 6 to 8 weeks to be delivered. Here's the address for you to send your letter and copies of your service order...

Volvo Parts and Service Warranty Rebates
C/O The Advertising Checking Bureau, Inc.
P.O.Box 343230
Memphis, TN 38134