PDA

View Full Version : Towing small loads

Andy
12-24-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm looking at buying a 2003 XC70 in the spring. I'd like to know about the towing capacity of this vehicle. I'll need to periodically tow a small aluminum boat and a small utility trailer for disposing of yard debris. I've seen a lot of XC70s in the Rocky Mountain area but I've never seen one with a trailer hitch.

TrueBlue
12-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2003 XC70 in the spring. I'd like to know about the towing capacity of this vehicle. I'll need to periodically tow a small aluminum boat and a small utility trailer for disposing of yard debris. I've seen a lot of XC70s in the Rocky Mountain area but I've never seen one with a trailer hitch.

Umm - so what's the question??

Over here Volvo are pushing the XC as a capable vehicle for towing a caravan (trailer), and liken it to the 70 and 90 series. The even had a demo vehicle towing a water bowser - I'd guess 1.5 tons - but didn't push it enough for folks to have a go.

I use my XC to do what you propose and there are no problems; but I've only pulled 3/4 tons max: with this car.

OK the UK is a bit flat when compared with the Rockies....

Art
12-24-2005, 01:09 PM

As far as towing loads in mountainous areas, forum member John@CdnRockies has some first hand experience. :)

XC70 - Boat towing - boat ramps - trouble? (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6990&highlight=towing)

Towing capacity and advice with my 2002 XC (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5450&highlight=towing)

Ducatista
12-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Last summer I towed a 30ft Shields sailboat (see Pic) almost without noticing it was there.
The trailer has brakes.
I also own a 6.5m Rigid inflatable boat with a 175 outboard, that I carry around on vacations weighing in at about 1,600kg, fully loaded, trailer included.
No Problem at all.

This car is made for such situations.

Just be careful and drive safely.

Merry Xmas

John@CdnRockies
12-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Andy, you will not experience any problems as long as your combined boat/trailer weight is below 3,300 pounds. Car has plenty of power hauling this weight up the Rocky Mountains, so no problems on that score. The key element is ensuring that the tow hitch weight is <180 pounds. Art has included my earlier post on the subject. Only thing I might add is that the Volvo hitch is pricy but outstanding - well worth the extra cost.

Ducatista, that Shields sailboat is a beauty! Makes me jealous as we are into serious snow over here in Canada!

John

Andy
12-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info, you've put my fears to rest. Now I'll have to buy a bigger boat now that I know I can pull it!

gregc
01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
John, or anyone who may help with my question. Your post answers part of my question. Maybe you can answer my other before I purchase a V70XC. Can it pull my 17ft Thundercraft bowrider w/ 60hp outboard out of the water up a sand ramp? I'm not too sure on the percent of the grade, but I have no problem at all with any 4x4 in high range.
Thanks, Greg

David Eady
01-02-2006, 05:02 PM
My 2002 happily pulls my 15.5 foot bowrider (70hp), my 17.5 centre console (70HP), and my neighbour's 20' inboard (big block) up a sand ramp - don't see why you would have any problem.

John@CdnRockies
01-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Greg, I think you should be fine in pulling out of a sand ramp. One of my earlier towing posts described a situation where I accidentally dropped both tires into soft mud when backing the trailer down. We clamped on the boat and strill made it up the ramp without a problem. As the boat was water ballasted, I must have been pulling well over 4,000 lbs in that instance.

John

Larry Czarda
01-04-2006, 02:35 PM
I read the thread on towing ... can a hitch be added as after market or something? I have a 2001XC70 ...

Jack
01-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I added the Hidden Hitch model from etrailer.com. Relatively inexpensive and very easy. If you are on their mailing list you will periodically receive discount promotion notices. Last one I saw was in December I think.

Or you can get oem here:
http://www.texasvolvo.com/volvo_v70_exterior_accessories_334_ctg.htm
and here:
http://volvo.autowebaccessories.com/store/xc70-v70-trailer-hitch-base-unit-prod126_172_1144.php

Aftermarket hitches are 1 1/4" receivers while the oem is 2". Oem ball mount and ball are a bit pricey for what appear to be standard, commonly available parts. You will also have to cut part of the bumper cover to mount the oem hitch.