PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak?

J2WERT
12-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello- I am glad that I found you all (I joined today). This is a GREAT SITE.
I own a 2001 with 109k. It has an oil leak that appears to originate on the passenger side (right front). It was not loved by original owner but I have had it gone through by dealer so am not opposed to putting in some $.
My questions:

1) Does anyone have any idea(s) what the leak could be?
2) Is this common?
3) If the prior owner did not take the best care of it, can it still be a good car? I realize this is a broad question but I am counting on the quality of Volvo.

howardc64
12-23-2005, 06:46 PM
1. Check around the edge of the oil filter housing that mates to the block (front/passenger corner of the oil pan) These cars have a reusable plastic oil filter housing (just change the oil filter element). Leaks here is probably just improper installation.

2. Check just below the front crank pully toward the engine block. Leak here probably means front crank seal. I have a very small leak here in my car.

3. Check the hoses exiting the power steering reservior. Hasn't happen to me but I hear this is common failure point.

4. Check the bottom of your turbo to see if any leaks. Leaks here tends to get blown around the back/bottom of the engine block. I have this problem but there is never enough oil that makes the way out of the bellypan/coverplate to drip on the floor.

1,2,4 need to be checked from the bottom. 3 can be done over the top of the front and passenger fender.

Hope this give you some starting check points.