PDA

View Full Version : 1 damaged tire on set w/ 1800miles

erictking
12-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Should I not try to swap a single tire on a set of STR's that only has 1800 miles on it? This would be for a VC XC. I suspect the answer is probably don't do it but want more feedback from the group. Thanks.

John@CdnRockies
12-23-2005, 08:40 AM
I would just replace the single tire even if it is a VC. 1,800 miles would not be enough for me to consider dumping the rest of them. Surely the tread wear would be minimal at this point.

John

ChuckK
12-23-2005, 08:59 AM
I would tend to agree with John. It would be pretty ridiculous if only 1800 miles of wear caused enough mismatch between the tires to be a problem. However, if you have an honest dealer who won't just use it as an excuse to sell you a new set of tires, you might get their blessing beforehand.

Jack
12-23-2005, 09:12 AM
It might be interesting to measure the tread depth so you know exactly what you are dealing with. It would also be interesting to know if Volvo has specific guidelines or specifications.

coastal
12-23-2005, 01:48 PM
at 1800 mi I wouldn't expect for much treadwear, so shouldn't be a problem, but you never know. CHeck with your tire dealer and also ask them if they can shave the new tire to match the tread depth of the existing tires if there's a noticeable difference. [happy]

XCS
12-23-2005, 02:48 PM
I had to have a tire replaced at 1000 miles because of road debris. The tech at America's Tire Store measured the new tire against the others and looked up the spec before I asked him. He had the numbers already on the worksheet when I presented the question. I would think any reputable dealer would do this to save them from liability.

TrueBlue
12-24-2005, 01:08 PM
AFAIK, the 2002's are less critical than earlier models, if the car is earlier I'd be inclined to be a bit cautious.

Of course if you'd put your car details in your "signature", we'd be better placed to make an appropriate comment....

Edmonds17
12-25-2005, 03:12 AM
I had to do the same thing with a tire that had been on our '00 XC for about a year.

Wanted to replace with the same brand, quality, and size tire as had been on the car.

Les Schwab retailer called the local Volvo dealer before installing the new tire. Went ahead and did it. I wasn't "in" on the conversation so I don't know exactly what the Volvo dealer said.

Haven't had any problems in the 2-3 mos. since we put on the new tire.

Edmonds17