PDA

View Full Version : Resetting GPS system

heidelberg
12-21-2005, 03:04 PM
For the 2nd time in a year, our XC90 nav system has lost the satellites. The 1st time was 3-4 mos after delivery. Couldn't find anything in the manual covering the situation. Took it to the dealer, left it overnight. When I asked them, they said it was a simple reset, but gave no details. Has now done it again and was hoping someone out there could give me some advice on how I could do this myself. Am sure the dealer would do it, but hate to waste my time.

It's a factory DVD based system in a 2005. US spec, but Euro database. Have found it very useful, just want to feel that we can work with it.

heidelberg
12-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Took in on Thur before Xmas. Told them we were leaving on vacation the next morning and needed it done that day (suggested by the salesman that we've dealt with). Took about 3 hours, but got it working. The service mgr said they unplugged the GPS receiver cable then reconnected it and the system came back up. Saw where they were working on it outside of the shop (snowing at the time). Had the ceiling panel off in the cargo area to get to the satellite receiver hardware and cabling. Still not sure how easy it would be to do-it-yourself, but at least a better understanding of what is necessary to recover from losing the GPS signals.

Don't know if this will help anyone, but wanted to provide a follow up.

Also have seen several comments about US spec nav system and Euro dvds. Ours is a 2005 US spec vehicle (military sales) and we bought the dvd before we picked it up last Nov (04). It's a single disc and the voice directions work just fine. Haven't looked into the new discs, so don't know if they would take out our audio. Other than the glitches with satellite and the usual quirks of any system, we have been pleased with how the system works.

jib
02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I had it happen once. It showed us 75 miles from where we were. What worked for me, was unplugging everything from the back of the DVD player, except the one wire that did not have a plug. We drove a while, then reconnected and it found itself.

Jack

Big
02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Did either of you try ejecting the DVD and reinserting it first?

jib
03-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Yes, we ejected, turned the car on and off, basically everything possible. Pulling the plugs on the back of the unit was simple and it worked.

Jack

Big
03-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Yes, we ejected, turned the car on and off, basically everything possible. Pulling the plugs on the back of the unit was simple and it worked. Good to know. Does the system retain stored waypoints when you unplug it?

shieatt
02-07-2007, 01:42 PM
We recently purchased a 2005 XC90 T6 with navigation... have had it about 2 2 weeks, and from the get-go, the nav system could not detect any satellites. I tried everything... first simply reset everything on the menu, took out the DVD and reinserted it, found out how to access the diagnostic menu and checked to see if there was some sort of reset... no luck. Took it to the dealer, who after 2 hours told me that I needed new map DVDs (mine were 2004 version)... this didn't sound right, but I went ahead and bought the newest 2006.2 version. Still no luck. Unplugged all the cables in the back of the unit and plugged them back in. Nothing. Called the dealer, who told me to drive the car in circles, stopping with the car pointed north, which is supposed to calibrate the system (yeah, right) - did it: nothing. Took back to the dealer, who yesterday replaced the "gps receiver" (which I assume is the part on the roof)... they couldn't test it yesterday because of a snow storm and were supposed to call me this morning. The absence of a phone call going on 4:00 p.m. is not reassuring.

I am going crazy with this. The system starts up, everything else works - it just is showing me miles from my location and the system set up shows "Satellites: 0" no matter how long I leave it on.

Anyone have any advice???

Big
02-07-2007, 06:03 PM
...The system starts up, everything else works - it just is showing me miles from my location and the system set up shows "Satellites: 0" no matter how long I leave it on.

Anyone have any advice??? It appears the software and DVD drive work so it has to be either the antenna (most likely a loose connection) or a bad receiver (a small electronic module that can fail). Should be simple for the dealer to figure out which, so your story makes me wonder if another dealer might be in order. In the meantime, be patient because it is not worth the frustration.

shieatt
02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
The dealer called late and told me the car was ready to be picked up. Got in the car, turned on the nav system, and while it showed the correct location (it showed me at the dealership), it still said receiving 0 satellites. It was pretty obvious to me that the tech manually programmed in the location using lat/lon. I refused to take the car home and made them give me the loaner car back. Needless to say, I am furious. Inexcusable for these techs not to understand this system, or to understand it and just try to get the problem out of their hair (not sure which). I told the service advisor that I would not take the car back (or give their loaner back) until they showed me 3 satellites being received on the GPS information screen.

shieatt
02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
At long last, I picked up my car today with a working nav system - receiving 5 satellites and guiding perfectly. The dealer told me they replaced the GPS sensor again to fix it. Wierd that the first replacement part was not functional - who knows the real story, but I really don't care... it is fixed and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for your thoughts on this (and for listening to me rant)...