PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Never Again!

gugy
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, I purchased in 2000 a 1999 Volvo XC70AWD with 25k miles from San Diego Volvo Dealership in Kearny Mesa. The car was demo model that belonged to the dealership manager.
In the first week we had a minor problem that we had to take the car back to be fixed. That should be a sign for what was coming. I wished I had returned the car then. For the next 4.5 years this car was a story of misery and betrayal by Volvo to a loyal customer.
This car was my 3 Volvo. My wife had a old station wagon and myself have currently a S70 sedan. We decided to exchange my wife's old wagon for the new cross country. The car at first seems wonderful. After few months problems start and until the last day it never ended. I am not going to itemize the list of problems just because is enormous.
I just going to say that I spent over $12K in maintenance and repairs for absurd problems that Volvo and SD dealership would not take care of it. My warranty took care of most of the problems in the first years. We drive a lot, so the 50K miles expired after 2.5 years. From that point on major engine and brake problems happened and we always had the car being taken to the SD dealership to bee fixed and we always kept a maintenance schedule on time.
Brakes is another major problems in the XC70. Every time we took the car it was a major ordeal that would evolve pads and rotors with a major cost over $1500 to fix it. The brakes would not last more than 10k miles without getting to be replaced. ABS computer failure it was also part of our experience with Volvo.Our last major problem was a engine failure that cost us $3.5 to be repaired.
Some people might say I was unlucky. But after talking to few Volvo owners and with my S70 having same kind of problems it is hard to believe that I am so unlucky. The car is just not able to hold normal wear and tear after the first years.
What is most depressing is that the Dealership and Volvo could not careless to all the problems I had. Basically they just said that some car had problems and it was normal and I was out of luck in getting any breaks or discounts on fixing the car. So basically the SD dealership acknowledge that the car was bad and did not care.
I have to say that on the positive side the car drives nice, it's good looking and it's safe. But that's about it.
One of my happiest days was when I trade that Volvo for an Acura MDX. The joy of seeing the Volvo going away was great.
I have to say that Volvo is definitely not part of my life anymore and I have no plans to get another one anytime soon. My S70 will be traded soon. So Volvo, bye, bye!

16Victor
12-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Well you know what gripes me? Some jagoff who registers for a forum for Volvo fans, then pisses and moans and says he's going to by an Acura. Go tell your lemming acura buddies what POSs Volvos are, why dontcha. It just doesn't do one dγmned bit of good to do it here. We KNOW what the issues are. That's one of the reasons this forum is here.

Just cry to someone else, whiner.

gr8gatzby
12-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Why do people in ship mutinies always ask for "better treatment"? I'd ask for a pinball machine, because with all that rocking back and forth you'd probably be able to get a lot of free games.

RedXC
12-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Go buy the Japanese brand always if you so dislike Volvos. Volvos are actually one of the easiest cars I've worked on. And yes European cars are expensive to fix. Next time consider bringing the Volvo into a indepedent shop which is cheaper than dealers.

Also, complaint it to Volvo Cars of North America instead of coming to volvoxc.com and compainting to true Volvo for life owners.

Bud
12-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Well, I purchased in 2000 a 1999 Volvo XC70AWD !

Hmm? Seems he was in the correct forum for the vehicle he was discussing.

Beiner
12-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I didn't think things were supposed to wear and break. I... I... I just don't know what to say! I'm flabbergasted! Confounded! Shocked and amazed! That being said, my '96 Neon had been twice as reliable as my '98 XC :o

gugy
01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
It's funny how all the Volvo loyalists do not accept other Volvo customers complaints. GROW UP! This forums are to show the good and bad about Volvo cars.

The reason I posted the many problems I had was just to show that the car you guys love so much have many, many flaws. And on top of that the way Volvo North America and the San Diego dealer handle my situation was just unacceptable for the standards they so much brag about. THE PROBLEMS I HAD WERE WAY BEYOND THE NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR!, So I am on my right to post my opinion about it, like it or not.

Hey, I was a very big loyal Volvo customer. Unfortunately the latest 2 cars I owed totally changed my perception about it. That's all and it's not just me, many people had the same complaints. So it's not the case I was so unlucky to have a lemon in my hands.

And REDXC, I did take my cars to be fix on independent shops as well. Even they considered my situation very difficult. Many of them suggested taking to the dealer because the problems were beyond their ability to fix.

And yes, I am very happy about my Acura MDX. I just took to the dealer and regular maintenance costs only $60, against an overpriced Volvo maintenance that could cost as much as $1500. I know European cars cost more to maintain, and I am cool about it, but this was not a regular maintenance wear and tear I had.

I respect all of you who enjoy your Volvos and are problem free, good for you!

16Victor
01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
It's funny how all the Volvo loyalists do not accept other Volvo customers complaints. GROW UP! This forums are to show the good and bad about Volvo cars.

The reason I posted the many problems I had was just to show that the car you guys love so much have many, many flaws.

Dude, like I said, that's WHY these forums exist, to share our problems and our fixes. WE KNOW what the problems are. We DISCUSS them here.

You sign up to the forums and your FIRST and only post was that whiny turd above. What's the point? What good did it do? It made you look like an ass, if that's good. As I said, WE ALREADY KNOW what's going on...I'm a freaking newbie here and I know that.

That said, please leave quietly. Your presence will not be missed. Go join an Acura forum.

PS Waaaaahhh.

gugy
01-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Dude, like I said, that's WHY these forums exist, to share our problems and our fixes. WE KNOW what the problems are. We DISCUSS them here.

You sign up to the forums and your FIRST and only post was that whiny turd above. What's the point? What good did it do? It made you look like an ass, if that's good. As I said, WE ALREADY KNOW what's going on...I'm a freaking newbie here and I know that.

That said, please leave quietly. Your presence will not be missed. Go join an Acura forum.

PS Waaaaahhh.

Well. Just to be short and sweet. If you all know the problems, hey you all should not be so mad and pissed about what I am saying. just acknowledge the problems and move on. I guess the truth hurts for some of you.

By the way, I already join the Acura forum. I guess I won't need to go there very often. :)

cossie1600
01-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I actually have to back the original poster on this one. While we might all drive the same car (or did), but it doesnt mean we all have to like it. I bought my Volvo because I knew how it saved my gf's life. I know that repairs are expensive and they are not as reliable as Japanese car, but I do respect opinions from those who doesnt like it. If I dont like what they say, I simply dont look at the thread or respond to it. There is no need to be pissed at him just because he doesnt agree with you.

I have a Nissan 350Z that is a nightmare too, I trash Nissan every chance I get. All Nissan owners hate me, but so be it.

gugy
01-03-2006, 08:39 PM
I actually have to back the original poster on this one. While we might all drive the same car (or did), but it doesnt mean we all have to like it. I bought my Volvo because I knew how it saved my gf's life. I know that repairs are expensive and they are not as reliable as Japanese car, but I do respect opinions from those who doesnt like it. If I dont like what they say, I simply dont look at the thread or respond to it. There is no need to be pissed at him just because he doesnt agree with you.

I have a Nissan 350Z that is a nightmare too, I trash Nissan every chance I get. All Nissan owners hate me, but so be it.

Thanks Cossie1600,
Finally someone with common sense.

My intention with the post was not to piss anybody. I knew I would rough some feathers. But originally I wanted to:

• express my feeling about the car. I was really upset by the outcome of owning a Volvo. My complaints are legitimate.
• forums are a great way for potential buyers to make decisions about buying cars. I wished I read this forum when I bought my Volvo, I would probably look for something else.
• Find out if people out there had the same problems.
• and finally (not holding my breath to this one) wish Volvo North America and San Diego dealership would read it and hopefully not take for granted their customers. Work to find new ways to improve the car and the ownership experience.

I apologize for the ones who felt offended. I know a lot of the readers are polite and educate people who can discern what they are reading. Unfortunately, others ones just want to call names and not accept constructive criticism.

Cheers and good luck with your cars.

cossie1600
01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I feel the same way about my Nissan. My situation is a little different, but close enough that I feel your pain. I promised myself that I would dedicate my free time to make sure no one buys another Nissan. I have been banned many times for speaking against Nissan by the Z owners, but I couldnt give a flying f. I will take my fight elsewhere, be it on the internet, TV or whatever.

Sorry about your problems with the Volvo, better luck on your next ride :)

Thanks Cossie1600,
Finally someone with common sense.

My intention with the post was not to piss anybody. I knew I would rough some feathers. But originally I wanted to:

• express my feeling about the car. I was really upset by the outcome of owning a Volvo. My complaints are legitimate.
• forums are a great way for potential buyers to make decisions about buying cars. I wished I read this forum when I bought my Volvo, I would probably look for something else.
• Find out if people out there had the same problems.
• and finally (not holding my breath to this one) wish Volvo North America and San Diego dealership would read it and hopefully not take for granted their customers. Work to find new ways to improve the car and the ownership experience.

I apologize for the ones who felt offended. I know a lot of the readers are polite and educate people who can discern what they are reading. Unfortunately, others ones just want to call names and not accept constructive criticism.

Cheers and good luck with your cars.

16Victor
01-04-2006, 04:41 AM
Unfortunately, others ones just want to call names and not accept constructive criticism.

Show me ONE word in your post that remotely approaches constructive.

I'm no fool and no sucker for Volvos. I bought this car AFTER reading this and similar forums. I'm glad they're here, and l do like informative posts about problems...those that I can gain something from...and as for your post: I stand by my replies. I get PO'd by negative naysayers like you.

Again, please go away.

cossie1600
01-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Go buy the Japanese brand always if you so dislike Volvos. Volvos are actually one of the easiest cars I've worked on. And yes European cars are expensive to fix. Next time consider bringing the Volvo into a indepedent shop which is cheaper than dealers.

Also, complaint it to Volvo Cars of North America instead of coming to volvoxc.com and compainting to true Volvo for life owners.

I do have to say for a European car, the Volvos are actually one of the easier cars to work on. They are like a typical Japanese car with the sideway motor setup

cossie1600
01-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Show me ONE word in your post that remotely approaches constructive.

I'm no fool and no sucker for Volvos. I bought this car AFTER reading this and similar forums. I'm glad they're here, and l do like informative posts about problems...those that I can gain something from...and as for your post: I stand by my replies. I get PO'd by negative naysayers like you.

Again, please go away.

Take it easy. No need to get pissed off just because you dont agree with what he said.

gs1397
01-04-2006, 09:26 AM
I have been posting here for almost a year now and cannot and do not understand why people get so offended when a frustrated person (read gugy) vents on his experiences with Volvo. I have a 99 S70 that has had to have the ETM replaced 3 times in the last 19 months. [thumbup] Only the last two were covered under warranty. This last one because of the big extended warranty. I had to pay 1200 to fix the original. Not to mention other pricey repairs.

I can empathize with gugy and certainly share is frustration with volvo. I am going to trade mine in as soon as I can afford it and you guys won't here from me again, but bcause I still own one, I am going to continue to post. Again, why is someone so ill treated when they post frustrating experiences. I owned a 93 MB 190 that was about half the cost to maintain as my volvo has been. I have posted questions, concernes, likes, dislikes, and so on. That is what makes a forum a forum. If this were just a fan site then rename it the volvo Kiss Ass club and not a forum.

Again, just my opinion and unless the admin finds what I write offensive, then I have the right to post it. :cool:
Case closed!! :p

Bud
01-04-2006, 10:21 AM

PS Waaaaahhh.

You are unbelievable .... he has just as much right to post here as you do.

In his first post he discussed many things before coming to the conclusion that Volvo quality, safety and service were sub-standard. I have had similar experiences and sadly share the same conclusion he has.

You, on the other hand, have done nothing but spout your venomous rage. You are intolerant and incorrectly feel your opinion is the only one that matters .... you are the ass.

BillAileo
01-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Lighten up everybody for the sake of a great new year....

Bill

gugy
01-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys for your support!

16Victor is just a child who doesn't accept other people point of view. He or she is definitely not an asset to this forum. I am done replying to his or hers childish comments.

Grow up! [nonono]

cossie1600
01-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I have been banned from all the Z boards for trashing the car, so I know the feeling. I am on the same shoe, I am stuck with the car until it makes financial sense to get rid of it. I have more of a customer service issue than mechanical issue on the Nissan, so I guess it is different

16Victor
01-05-2006, 03:31 AM
I'm PO'd at gugy because he apparently registered for this forum for the sole purpose of posting his rants and whines. There was nothing constructive whatsoever, if you ignore the downstream backtracking. If he were a *regular* *contributor*, then I'd give him some slack. gugy would have been far better served to follow his own delinquent advice and get in touch with Volvo NA directly to complain about the car and the dealership, then post his results here. Or at least have asked questions and/or posted comments during the experience. What we got was an ex post facto raspberry.

So, I'm done with this topic. Whether I'm an asset to this forum will be determined in the future. I have a good track record with forums and mailing lists for other vehicles and figure I'll assist well here as well as time unfolds.

Onward and upward...

Bud
01-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Cool, a measured and reasonable response .... thanks. [thumbup]

"Onward and Upward", I like that .... cheers back to ya. [cool2]

gugy
01-05-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm PO'd at gugy because he apparently registered for this forum for the sole purpose of posting his rants and whines. There was nothing constructive whatsoever, if you ignore the downstream backtracking. If he were a *regular* *contributor*, then I'd give him some slack. gugy would have been far better served to follow his own delinquent advice and get in touch with Volvo NA directly to complain about the car and the dealership, then post his results here. Or at least have asked questions and/or posted comments during the experience. What we got was an ex post facto raspberry.

So, I'm done with this topic. Whether I'm an asset to this forum will be determined in the future. I have a good track record with forums and mailing lists for other vehicles and figure I'll assist well here as well as time unfolds.

Onward and upward...

16Victor,
You really don't get it. I am sorry for you.

I just registered for this forum and post a single post to express my frustration. That's true. I learned about XC70.com recently. I trade in my Volvo March last year. So I no longer have my Volvo V70XC. But I still have my S70. So in some way I am still belonging to the Volvo community. Hopefully not for long.

It seems that you finally tone down your hatred. As a previous post said, if I come here to only read people talking wonderful things, this forum should be named volvokissass.com. He was absolutely right. Forums are here to have people talking bad and good about whatever subject. In fact sometimes talking bad becomes a good thing. Example. If we only praise Volvo, they would not be inclined to improve their cars or take care of their customers. The fact many people complain might lead Volvo to better and be more efficient and look after their customers.

My experience is legitimate. I have stacks of dealers and independent shops receipts and invoices itemizing many years of mechanical failures way beyond the normal wear and tear. I was very frustrated with the whole experience. My direct contacts with Volvo N.A. And S.D. Dealership did not result in any good. So, since I am still having my S70, I am wondering if my nightmares with Volvo are over yet.

I put the post and I am proud of it. Many people agreed and also shared their frustrations as well.

Now you come to me and say that you are a regular contributor with only 10 posts and 4 of them attacking me and say this is a "good track record" that only led me to believe you are really a child. Just go back read your posts and reflect a bit. You might come to the realization how unreasonable you are. I am glad you are done with this topic as you said. Hopefully from now on we all can have a more constructive discussion on this thread.

And here I go again.
Grow up!
[nonono]

philosophicaldreamer
01-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Gentlemen:

A little bit of sanity should be in order. We all feel passionate about things that we love or hate. So, yes I do feel passionate about Volvos, for otherwise I would not be on my fourth Volvo, and I can also be passionate about pathetic service that most Volvo dealerships provide to their customers. The point I am trying to make is that we should try to acknowledge the shortcomings of the brand some of us love without geting into a "p*****g match" of my car is better than yours. Those of you who feel offended by his post about Volvo, go to Honda boards and you will see how many people are mad about those cars. There is no perfect car . . . at least not yet . . .and if Plato is correct, there will never be a perfect car out there. :D Besides, I wouldn't want to drive a car that everyone drives. There is something to the idea that those of us who love Volvos do not follow a herd mentality, to quote Nietzsche. I like the idea that we drive cars whose manufacturer produces a fraction of what Toyota or Honda produce. Trust me on it that those of you who love and drive Volvos should not feel defensive about your cars. Volvo makes lemons and all other manufacturers make lemons. Friend of mine just got rid of his Honda Prelude because he argued that it cost him more to drive than his BMW. Enjoy your Volvos.

Ta-ta, j.

gugy
01-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks, good post.
You are right, all cars have shortcomings. Volvo is a nice car in many respects. I enjoyed driving it and felt safe on it. Unfortunately, I could not financially justify all the expenses of keeping one. Some people say that the newer Volvos are better than the first AWD ones. I hope so. Hopefully Volvo listened to so many complaints and improve their cars.
Cheers

cossie1600
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
The new Volvos have too much Ford in them, I would never buy a new Volvo, 2000 is probably the latest year I go with

philosophicaldreamer
01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
The new Volvos have too much Ford in them, I would never buy a new Volvo, 2000 is probably the latest year I go with

People used to say the same thing about all new genrations of Volvos. The drivers of 140s were skeptical of 240s; the drivers of 240s were skeptical of 740s and 760s; the 740s drivers were skeptical of 850s; 850s were skeptical of 960s and V90, and the history continues to repeat itself with new S80s and V70s. I guess nothing really changes. I am not sure what you mean by "the new Volvos have too much Ford in them." I just cracked my hood open and looking at the parts, it looks like most of them come from Sweden, Germany, Irland, Italy, and France. I believe that transmission is Japanese, but the same is in older Volvos, too.

Ta-ta, j.

cossie1600
01-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I am not going to blow 25-30K on a fully loaded new Focus/Mazda 3 (S40). I also dont think its smart to blow 30-40K on a loaded Ford mid-size (s60). Sure the motor might be Volvo's, but a lot of things aren't. As long as Ford owns Volvo, my 98 is going to be my last Volvo (plus I hate the new design, but I do like the C70 hehehe). Ford ruined Mazda's design the same way. They bought Volvo for their safety technology, they will probably rebadge a Volvo and sell 3 times as much as Volvo. (Look at what they did to the Escape/Tribute). What happened to the good ol indepedence days, sad...

philosophicaldreamer
01-07-2006, 09:35 PM
I am not going to blow 25-30K on a fully loaded new Focus/Mazda 3 (S40). I also dont think its smart to blow 30-40K on a loaded Ford mid-size (s60). Sure the motor might be Volvo's, but a lot of things aren't. As long as Ford owns Volvo, my 98 is going to be my last Volvo (plus I hate the new design, but I do like the C70 hehehe). Ford ruined Mazda's design the same way. They bought Volvo for their safety technology, they will probably rebadge a Volvo and sell 3 times as much as Volvo. (Look at what they did to the Escape/Tribute). What happened to the good ol indepedence days, sad...

From a historical point of view, your 98 is not the last Volvo. When Volvo was bought by Ford, the second generation of XC70 and V70 as well as S80 were already in production. As much as I would love to see Volvo owned by a European company, the fact is that Ford has saved Volvo. As a small car company Volvo was not in a position of financing R&D without a huge infusion of cash from somewhere else. Besides the days of pure car brands no longer exist because it costs too much for a car company to produce everything. Trust me on it, your 98 is not a pure Volvo; it has a Japanese transmission in it, for instance. Unlike you, I love the new look of Volvo. I have so many people who tell me how distinctive my XC looks. I do also like C70. However, I am one of those who subscribes to the idea that a genuine volvo is always a stationwagon. I am less worried about Volvo. I think that Volvo will survive Ford experience. I am more worried about SAAB that is getting "decimated" by bloody GM. I am hoping that GM will be forced to sell SAAB to Volkswagen or maybe Renault.

Ta-ta, j.

Tyrant11429
01-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Even though ford ownes volvo, volvo is still making the car, sure that new s40 maybe ford related but so is the X tyle jaguar too. Not all the volvo models are ford. I've got a 00 v70xc, and my dad has a 97 960 wagon, his feels much more heavier than mine and has less features as mine, and less problems lol, 1 thing is for sure mine is more computerized than his, as are the new volvo's more computerized than mine. Times change as do the cars. Sure toyota, honda and nissan design good engines that can go, but there car body is so weak and 1 little crash the car is done and written off no value. I almost died driving a altima in a crash at 20mph. At the end of the day I feel safe and rather be in my xc than some other cars I've driven. ;) see ya