PDA

View Full Version : Start rejected..........try again?

birddog
12-17-2005, 10:10 AM
:confused:
Anyone ever have that come up on the message screen?

This morning when I got back into the car after stopping at the grocer's, I went to start her up and this message came up. I tried again, and the message came up again....so I locked the doors with the fob while still sitting in the driver's seat, waited a minute then unlocked them, opened the door, shut it and tried again. This time she started right up.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Any ideas would be welcome. A search didn't give me any information. Thanks in advance!

ksmif
12-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi there Birddog,

I too had this message last week, but I didn't make much of it... my car started right up the second time. I just figured it was cold and it was doing a regular "car thing."
Though, I hope it does not happen again anytime soon [thumbup]

Enjoy the holidays,
Ksmif

Raynald
12-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Happened to me a couple of time also. It seems that onboard computers (yes, there are many of them...) run a self-check routine and if it fails, for whatever reason (static, humidity...), it shuts down, display the message asking you to "try again". I shouldn't worry.

BillAileo
12-17-2005, 01:16 PM
I had this happen the day we picked our '03 up at OSD. Never happened again (we are now at 47,900 miles) ....

Bill

Jack
12-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I thought it usually happened when the immobilizer system can't talk to the transponder in the key. I have an '05 with the (darn) switchblade key. If I fold and shield it with my hand when starting I can get this message every time. Seems the system is very sensitive (or not very sensitive depending on your perspective).

birddog
12-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't ever remember reading any posts about this particular message so thought it must have been a fluke or there would have been more said about it by others. :o

Drove into Manhattan and had no troubles all day long. [thumbup]

v70+xc70
12-18-2005, 02:31 AM
sounds like the CTRL ALT DELETE for xc70s

barrykensett
12-18-2005, 03:48 AM
I had this problem (earlier post). You can reproduce it if you shield the key fob with your hand while starting. There is a passive chip in the fob and an interrogator near the key hole. If they can't talk to one another it will not start.
Barry

budrichard
12-18-2005, 08:02 AM
At about 35K miles my immobalizer had intermitant failures and was replaced.-Dick

birddog
12-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I had this problem (earlier post). You can reproduce it if you shield the key fob with your hand while starting. There is a passive chip in the fob and an interrogator near the key hole. If they can't talk to one another it will not start.
Barry

This could have been what happened b/c I had leather gloves on and had the keys bunched up in my hand.

1Lieutenant
12-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Had this happen in my '02. Seems there is an antenna located around the key hole. If it fails, it is not able to read the chip in the key. Solution is replacement. Fortunately, mine happened under warrantee.

Steve

River Runner
12-19-2005, 07:43 PM
I had this message a couple of times over the summer and asked the service manager at the shop about it when I was getting a new timing belt put on. He said it was most likely that the antennae ring was going bad and it could go totally next week or next year. A new one costs $55.00 and takes about 15 minutes to replace. I picked one up and have kept it in my glove box for months now without the problem returning.

birddog
12-20-2005, 05:59 PM
I was wondering if a proximity unit could cause interference with the ignition communication system. The day before this happened to me everyone received new proximity passes for our security system at work. They are actually little fobs for your key ring. I still haven't had the incident reoccur.

birddog
01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
She did it again today, didn't think I was going to get her to start, not even after locking and unlocking the doors a few times. Taking her in tomorrow to see what's up.... [sly]