PDA

View Full Version : Volvo ETM letter

first and Last Volvo Purchase ever
12-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Have any 99-01 V70XC owners received the letter regarding ETM failure from Volvo yet?

howardc64
12-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Haven't receive my letter yet. But I know someone that just had their 01's ETM replaced at a dealer for free based on this new warranty. You might discuss with your local dealers and perhaps talk to the regional rep.

12-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Haven't receive my letter yet. But I know someone that just had their 01's ETM replaced at a dealer for free based on this new warranty. You might discuss with your local dealers and perhaps talk to the regional rep.

My situation is my ETM part was replaced FOC by the dealer back in August but I was charged for the labor. My dealer has informed me that it will be Volvo not them who will reimburse the out of pocket expenses for labor so I am anxiously awaiting the letter. I called Volvo CS and the gentleman I spoke to said they (the CS reps) are being kept out of the loop as to when the letters will go out. Thanks for the reply.

BTW, my wife says we're Volvo for life too. See my username. She doesn't pay the repair bills. ;)

ChicagoXC
12-21-2005, 04:33 AM
I just got my ECM replaced under warranty (recall?) (class action suit?) yesterday. 2001 XC - 88,000 miles.

I took the car in for service some months ago for the electric fan recall. They performed a diagnostic which listed loads of broken stuff - including a failing ECM. Service told me it would be about $900 :eek: and I opted to take my chances.

Just yesterdy, my wife took the car in (to a different dealership) on an unrelated item. They performed a diagnostic and found the problem was not a big deal. However, they ALSO noted, among the larger list of broken stuff, that the ECM was still faulty. They replaced it immediately - under warranty.

My wife tells me that the service guy said Volvo has extended the ECM warranty to 200,000 miles. Likewise, I did a google search and found a Class Action lawsuit claiming the ECM caused engine failure and that Volvo was accused of hiding it (like the first dealership I went to - haha).

*note: Off the subject, they waived the fee for the diagnostic, stating that it was part of the repair of the ECM. (Orloff in Chicago [thumbup]!)

01-06-2006, 11:12 AM
still waiting for this supposed letter Volvo is sending out to Volvo owners who have out-of-pocket expenses for ETM repair. anyone receive theirs yet. is it any surprise Volvo is dragging their feet on this? [mad2]

john65b
02-20-2006, 07:47 AM
I got my Volvo ETM notice last week (Feb 15, 2006).

One of the things I looked for when I bought my 2001 XC with 62k miles in April 2005 was that the ECM had a yellow sticker indicating the ETM had been replaced, and not the original. It just gave me a bit more peace since it is the wife's car.

I am glad the letter now covers me for additional time/mileage.

My question is this - this transmission software upgrade they have mentionined - will it cure the throttle lag problem? There nothing more irritating than having this 2-3 second lag between my foot and the throttle response.

If not, what does it do?

I don't really like either of the two Volvo dealerships here in Salt Lake, and really don't want to go there unless I have to. But I would really like the throttle problem fixed on their dime.

Otherwise happy with the car...

John

pep
02-20-2006, 08:40 AM
I got my Volvo ETM notice last week (Feb 15, 2006).

One of the things I looked for when I bought my 2001 XC with 62k miles in April 2005 was that the ECM had a yellow sticker indicating the ETM had been replaced, and not the original. It just gave me a bit more peace since it is the wife's car.

I am glad the letter now covers me for additional time/mileage.

My question is this - this transmission software upgrade they have mentionined - will it cure the throttle lag problem? There nothing more irritating than having this 2-3 second lag between my foot and the throttle response.

If not, what does it do?

I don't really like either of the two Volvo dealerships here in Salt Lake, and really don't want to go there unless I have to. But I would really like the throttle problem fixed on their dime.

Otherwise happy with the car...

John

John,
Please see vexedvolvo.org for information regarding the replacement ETMs. Don Wilson reports that some are failing as early as 7,000 miles. The NHTSA investigation is now inlcuding the failing replacements. There are reports on this forum and others of failing replacements. Mine was replaced in my 01 XC at 60,000 miles. When my original failed, I had no prior knowledge of anything being wrong. I went into limp mode on Interstate 10 on the TX line 1,000 miles from home. It was a terrifying experience as I drove along the edge of the highway with trucks screaming by. The car eventually died totally along the side of the road. I currently won't drive my car on a highway with my children in it. We are preparing to get rid of it. Volvo has no intention of recalling this part. They won't do what is necessary to make the car safe. Make sure your wife has a cell phone and towing insurance before she takes the car out of town.

I am sorry to shatter your peace with this car but you should know the truth and you won't get it from volvo.

Afrixc70
03-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Please could anyone who received an ETM letter from Volvo scan and email to me. Here in South Africa there are a large number of V70 and XC70 who are having ETM trouble. I have been quoted $1200 for replacement at 93 000 miles. Out of warranty, damn. I hope to convince Volvo SA to at least share costs using evidence gathered from this site.

Thanks Jeremy

Sasquatch
04-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Just got this letter yesterday. Haven't read it all yet, but I notice they say it ISN'T a recall! What a way to get out of it. It is like using coupons at the grocery store. What a gyp!