PDA

View Full Version : Vibration at idle only (steering wheel, etc.)

2volvo
12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Hi there,

I own two Volvo’s (2002 S60 2.4T and 2003 XC70).
About 3 months ago I started noticing a vibration in the steering wheel while idling the S60, for example at the traffic light or when starting the engine in the garage.
About a month ago, the dealer replaced an engine mount and did a throttle body cleaning.
There has been no decrease in the vibration.
About 2 weeks ago, the XC70 started developing the exact vibration.
For both cars the symptoms are:
Moderate vibration felt mainly in the steering wheel, glove box, brake pedal and seats.
This vibration occurs only while idling; it goes away as soon as the car starts moving
The vibration is felt with the gear in drive or reverse; it is less pronounced in neutral or park.
I have read on the Internet about these kind of vibrations (i.e. 5 vs. 6 cylinders) and I can tell that I was not aware of this vibration until recently. I do not believe it was present, let’s say last year. I was actually thinking some time ago how smoothly the XC70 idles comparing with the S60.
I was wondering if any of you has experienced such a vibration at idle and if you were able to fix it. Any suggestion how to address this issue is much appreciated.
Many thanks for your help in this matter.

srs
04-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Any luck figuring out your vibation problem? My 1998 V70XC has a vibration exactly as you describe.

BillAileo
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
You mentioned the replacement of an engine mount. Do you know if it was one of the mounts below the engine or the engine stablizer mount at the top of the engine near its back? That stablizer mount can fail easily on these cars and it can cause the exact symptoms you describe. I recently replaced the stablizer mount on our '03 XC70 with one from IPD (http://www.ipdusa.com/productscat.aspx?CategoryID=256&NodeID=443&RootID=629)

Bill

OzDriver
04-05-2006, 01:56 AM
I'm starting to have similar problem. The service guys said that i might need to change the engine mount on the next service, so i hope that will get rid of the vibration even though it's only light vibration...

2volvo
04-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Hi there SRS, BillAileo and OzDriver
The XC70 vibration is very small compared with the S60 one.
You guys can get more info about the issue(s) if you read the postings on the S60 forum on www.vvspy.com (title: vibration at idle only, etc....).
I suggested there an approach to try and identify the cause of the vibration and the work done on the S60

t_sheehan
02-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I have been having very similar vibrations in my 02 XC70 to the ones you have described. It primarily affects the steering wheel, but I have also noticed that it is particualrly pronounced upon turning in either direction. Furthermore, when I turn to the extreme left such as when parking it feels as though I am going over a bump. Could this have to do with the CV joint? I thought that the vibration might have to do with the steering fluid, but it appears to be up to par. Do I have a more serious case of what you originally described. Has replacing the engine mount alleviated any of these problems? Thanks [sly]

JRL
02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
You know both my 01 XC and my 02 S60AWD vibrated at idle The 01 was worse, they could never figure it out.
Did it from day ONE.
They have become much better as the years went on so I guess it's a combinations of all the bushing bushings, engine software and who knws what else.
I have no answer, we tried to fix it for 3 years to no avail. Some vibrate more than others

gruuv247
02-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Am 95% sure it's the motor mount. Make sure to check both upper and lower engine torque mounts. Both of mine were useless when I purchased mine at 71K miles. Really tightened up the throttle "response" as well as transmission engagement.:o

Lightrail
02-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I believe the steering wheel vibration is a combination of idle speed and the accessory belt. The steering wheel vibrates because the accessory belt vibrates. My steering wheel vibrates when my a/c compressor is on, at idle, which is low at 700 rpm.

funglenn
02-14-2007, 06:30 AM
I have the same type of idle vibration, thanks for the tip, it goes in for 52.5 service next week anyway.

tom's new car
02-15-2007, 01:06 PM
look at the engine mount on top of the engine........I replaced mine, and the new one I installed with it turned 90 degrees so the rubber was horizontal in order to extend it's life........the steering wheel began to vibrate, stuff in the glove box began to rattle......

I am installing one of these tonight:

http://www.evolvecars.com/site/index.php?id=261,266,0,0,1,0

volvoshad
02-16-2007, 07:58 PM
look at the engine mount on top of the engine........I replaced mine, and the new one I installed with it turned 90 degrees so the rubber was horizontal in order to extend it's life........the steering wheel began to vibrate, stuff in the glove box began to rattle......

I am installing one of these tonight:

http://www.evolvecars.com/site/index.php?id=261,266,0,0,1,0

Please post your results with the Evolve product. Virtually everyone with an automatic transmission that has installed a urethane bushing from ipd or fcpgroton hates the increase in vibration. And BTW, much to the increased vibration in my car was through the steering wheel.

JRL
02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Please post your results with the Evolve product. Virtually everyone with an automatic transmission that has installed a urethane bushing from ipd or fcpgroton hates the increase in vibration. And BTW, much to the increased vibration in my car was through the steering wheel.
The Evolve or any other poly bushing will make it vibrate about THREE times as much.
NOT the way to go to fix a vibration, you must go with a ne (OEM Volvo) stock bushing.
I guess you didn't read. most 01s WILL vibrate at idle after a while.
They never could get rid of mine in my 01XC.
I think it's a combination of all the bushings used, the very low 01 idle, etc.
If you very easily raise the idle with your foot to about 800-900 rpm, it goes away, the 01s idle at 650-675, too low.
It's in the 01 software and cannot be chenged

Nuge
12-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Hi, please let us know if that fixes it. Just bought an '07 with 98kms. Volvo dealer said it is the alternator pulley. They replaced that and the accessory belt. No difference. My friend has '06 with 310kms on it and he has never had anything like this. He is also a "no maintenance until it breaks" guy! I do every little thing so it is frustrating Volvo does not know.

Astro14
12-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Vibration at idle is usually worn out engine mounts. They're good for about 75,000 miles. Replace all of them if they've not been done. Front, rear, passenger side, upper, transmission. Stay away from cheap Chinese parts. Stay away from Uro. OE is good. Lemforder is good.

I tried an upper poly mount (IPD, who are great and sell great stuff) but I hated it. Awful vibration at idle and under acceleration.