PDA

View Full Version : Space Saver / Compact Spare == problems for drivetrain

al_roethlisberger
12-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I've read a number of the compact/space-saver spare threads, and it seems like a few folks have suggested that driving on the compact spare for more than a few miles will damage the AWD system. But I've never heard this confirmed or refuted.

Is this true? It seems like this would be a real warrantee/liability issue for Volvo if so :eek:

Does anyone know if it is OK to drive on the compact spare for any distance(keeping in mind it is a temporary solution) without damaging the AWD system on the XC70?

I don't know if the answer to this question is different for VC versus Haldex equipped XC70s, although mine is a 2004 so have the Haldex system.

I'd like to upgrade to a full-sized spare, but have the 3rd row seating which from what I've read seems incompatible with this solution.... although I will still investigate myself ;)

Anyway, I'd love to hear a final yay/nay on the "compact-spare == broken AWD" question.

I am hoping it is urban legendry :rolleyes:

al

XCSwedie
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
A compact spare can be used with Haldex; not VC.

surfsailor
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
I had heard that you can't (should not) go far on a compact spare, but if you can't drive on it at all, why in the heck would they even put the dang thing in there?

hd70
12-09-2005, 09:10 AM
The volvo manual for a 2004 says:
http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2004/2004_XC70/04xc70_00.htm
Temporary Spare

The spare tire in your car is called a "Temporary Spare". It has the following designation: T125/80 R17 (XC70 - T135/90 R17, V70R - T115/85/R18 ).

At the recommended tire pressure shown on the inside of the fuel filler door, the tire may be used as a temporary replacement for a front or rear tire.

In the event of damage to this tire, a new one can be purchased from your Volvo retailer.

WARNING!
Current legislation prohibits the use of the "Temporary Spare" tire other than as a temporary replacement for a punctured tire. It must be replaced as soon as possible by a standard tire. Road holding and handling may be affected with the "Temporary Spare" in use. Do not exceed 50 mph (80 km/h). Do not drive farther than 50 miles (80 km) on a temporary spare tire.

CAUTION:
The car must not be driven with wheels of different dimensions or with a spare tire other than the one that came with the car. The use of different size wheels can seriously damage your car's transmission.

NOTE: Certain models may be equipped with a full-size spare tire. When used, it should be inflated to the same pressure as the tire it is replacing. *Please note that the tire information label indicates pressure for both comfort and fuel economy.

<here, you can find all kind of documents for any model, year, etc.
http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/Owners/Library.htm

TrueBlue
12-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Here are some points in no particular order that folks might care to consider:-

There was a thread on the "old forum" where a member drove his VC equipped XC70 on the spare for a very few miles and very slowly and it still fried his coupling.

The early XC owners guide had dire warnings about driving with different tread depths over the years this changed from -

Don't - and change all four tyres at once
To be careful keep the wheels the same on an axle and within a limit front to rear
And keeps the tread depths reasonable between all four wheels.

Haldex's website says there's no problem with tyre wear on any wheel and none with using space saver tyres.

Volvo even in 2003 models still recommend caution.

It's difficult to distinguish between good practice / backside covering / and a potential problem with the design of the transmission.

I believe there's a catch-all expression "Go Figure"

KazDog
12-10-2005, 06:08 PM
I destroyed a tire many kilometers from home and had to drive on the "temporary" spare for over two hours. Kept the speed below 80km per hour (50 mph) and the car has exhibited no problems with the drive train. The tire incident happened over a year ago. How come so many myths about the pre haldex XC's?

erictking
12-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hey Kaz Dog.
Was the destroyed tire a 235 or was it the original 215? I just got the 235s myself and I am wondering what affect the .1 increase over the 215 will have if I have to use the dum-dum.

surfsailor
12-13-2005, 07:01 AM
I've decided to change to a full size spare. I found a Tellus wheel on E-bay that I'm going to mount my spare on.

I'll be replacing all four tires soon, and was thinking about taking the best of the four and using it as my spare. The the amount of tread left is about 3/32''over the tread wear indicators. My question is, how do you determine what ( in terms of tread height) would you use for the spare? Is it that critical? IF I had 4 new tires on the car and had a flat, and the spare is one of the tires I'm running now, would I get in trouble? Or should I buy a new tire to mount as the spare?

I have a MY 2001 that has the VC.

surfsailor
12-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I've decided to change to a full size spare. I found a Tellus wheel on E-bay that I'm going to mount my spare on.

I'll be replacing all four tires soon, and was thinking about taking the best of the four and using it as my spare. The the amount of tread left is about 3/32''over the tread wear indicators. My question is, how do you determine what ( in terms of tread height) would you use for the spare? Is it that critical? IF I had 4 new tires on the car and had a flat, and the spare is one of the tires I'm running now, would I get in trouble? Or should I buy a new tire to mount as the spare?

I have a MY 2001 that has the VC.

Uhmmm...This maybe a krazy thing to be thinking about but I didn't get any feedback,,, any comments?

Anybody use a full size spare? What about amount of tread on the spare? anything to worry about?

nwxc70
12-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I have checked recently and have a mini-spare. I too wonder about how this could NOT be bad for my VC AWD system. Surely Volvo considered this? Are the circumferences the same on the stock tires and the donut spare?

I think I'll run it by the dealer next time I am in.

littlewaywelt
12-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Uhmmm...This maybe a krazy thing to be thinking about but I didn't get any feedback,,, any comments?

Anybody use a full size spare? What about amount of tread on the spare? anything to worry about?
Several forum members here have a full size spare. it requires changing the grocery tray for a more shallow model to allow for the fit.

Even with a full size spare you run into the problem of 3 worn tires and a brand new one. This difference could be enough to fry the vc as well.
Although I never had a flat with our vc awd 01, it was always my plan to have the car towed to a tire center for four new tires if I did. damaging the $2k awd system just isn't worth the convenience of changing the tire and then driving to a tire store, imo.

Art
12-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I happen to be one of those who opted for a full size spare. My primary concern was the thought of being left stranded with a full load of paddling gear and boats and miles from the nearest service facility.

As far as even wear is concerned, inserting my full-size spare at every rotation has worked for me which is the reason why I chose to go with symmetrical, non-directional tires. My last check had the wear on all five tires consistent within 1/32" of each other.

Tire shaving might provide another alternative that would eliminate the need for this.

Vwvolvo
12-28-2005, 02:21 PM
I had a '' spare rim '' and I had kept my Scorpions ( still pretty good condition)when I replaced them with Michelin Hydroedges so I decided to switch that Mickey mouse spare wheel for a full size wheel. Diameter is '' perfect '' (not better neither worse than the little wheel). If a little situation happens, I'd rather drive a little with a normal tire than a Mickey mouse wheel (especially during winter).

Now here's the catch. Now the black box over the battery and wheel doesn't fit anymore !

Luc
Montreal, Canada