PDA

View Full Version : Online Source for Nokian WR Tires

al_roethlisberger
12-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Well, I'm going to give these tires a try on our Honda Pilot based on the favorable "all-season" reviews here and on www.hondapilot.org.

Unfortunately, none of my local dealers here in NC seem to either have a source for Nokian or to have even heard of them in some cases :rolleyes:

And Tirerack.com doesn't stock them.

So, before I start Google-ing like crazy, does anyone have any online sources for Nokian they would recommend based on experience?

Thanks
al

Art
12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Al,

It might be worth checking out the links on Nokian’s website. For example, this online dealer (http://www.tirefactory.net/nokian.htm) offers free shipping nationwide. They seem pretty legit, although you would need to phone in for a price quote.

You can also find others sources in your region by using the Dealer Locator (http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/map.cfm) function. :)

al_roethlisberger
12-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks Art, but as expected... there is NO ONE local that sells and installs Nokian, although I did find a wholesaler in Raleigh I can have my installer call to get the tires from :rolleyes:

I guess Nokian just doesn't have much of a "foothold" here :p

Al

al_roethlisberger
12-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Good lord.... I called the wholesaler in Raleigh, and he wouldn't have them until the first of January at the earliest, and wanted $199 per tire.

I called the online "Tire Factory" at 800-576-1009 and they wanted $178 per tire, but at least shipping is free and there is no tax :rolleyes:

Good grief... this sounds way too expensive for a 235/65-17 tire to me :eek:

Does anyone have any other leads on these tires? I'll keep calling around, but if they are this expensive, I'll get some Bridgestones or something... sheesh :(

al

Art
12-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Al,

I wouldn’t consider those prices to be that far off. Dealer here (Kal Tire) sells the WR’s for $221 a piece Cdn ($190 US). I assume the tire configuration you meant was 235/60/16. I guess it really depends on how desparately you want H rated tires.

wgriswold
12-08-2005, 12:23 PM
I had the same problem in here in South Lake Tahoe (a small town in the Sierra Nevada). I could get them but the price would have been close to $1000. I finally decided that, hey, it's a station wagon and originally came with H rated tires and I could go down to a T. I got Toyo Eclipse tires from Les Schwab for about $500 and so far, so good. I haven't had them on a windy road or on a freeway yet but around town, no difference from the Scorpion STR's except perhaps a little better traction on ice. That is probably due to the Eclipse's being new. It must be said that I am a very conservative driver and would never push the V rated tires to a point where there handling would have made a difference.

al_roethlisberger
12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Al,

I wouldn’t consider those prices to be that far off. Dealer here (Kal Tire) sells the WR’s for $221 a piece Cdn ($190 US). I assume the tire configuration you meant was 235/60/16. I guess it really depends on how desparately you want H rated tires.

Nope, am looking for 235/65-17 for my Honda Pilot fitted with 2004 Acura 17" MDX wheels :D

The Pirelli STRs on my XC70 are brand new, so they won't need changing for a long while :cool:

al

Art
12-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Argghh...sorry ‘bout the slip up Al. :o Blame it on my one track mind. ;)

On a related note, my brother-in-law runs Michelin Latitude X-Ice winter radials on his ‘04 Pilot...I guess this only helps if you’re in the market for a dedicated set.

al_roethlisberger
12-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I guess these tires are just out of my budget, as I can't spring almost $800 before mounting.

That's too bad too, as I wanted to give them a try based on the feedback.

al

Sasquatch
12-08-2005, 02:48 PM
I had the same problem in here in South Lake Tahoe (a small town in the Sierra Nevada). I could get them but the price would have been close to $1000. I finally decided that, hey, it's a station wagon and originally came with H rated tires and I could go down to a T. I got Toyo Eclipse tires from Les Schwab for about $500 and so far, so good. ...

I just went to Toyo's web site, and they don't make an OE size tire for our cars. I also could find no mention anywhere of this "Eclipse" tire.

Sasquatch
12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I guess these tires are just out of my budget, as I can't spring almost $800 before mounting.

That's too bad too, as I wanted to give them a try based on the feedback.

al

Funny thing. Out of the blue, I called our local dealer who I have used many many times in the past for tires, shocks, alignments, ...

I told him what car I have, and he right off the bat suggested Nokian WR's as being a good tire for this car. He priced them at $161 each I think. That is mounted and balanced with valve stems I believe. I thought that was an outrageous price. And here I thought $130 or so was high for 31x10.50R15's. I guess after having a Civic with 155/80R13's, anything seems expensive. I am from the school that tires should cost $30 still, and expensive luxury type tires and truck tires should cost around $90. I guess I'm off.

al_roethlisberger
12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Well, the Alenza's on Tirerack.com were $553 including shipping, and the Nokian WRs from Tire Factory were only $160 more when all said and done. $160 isn't nothin' to sneeze at, but I'm really interested in the Winter protection the Nokian seems like it will offer for the family truckster our Pilot is :)

I know that if we slid or spun out for saving just $160, I'd be upset.

So I sprung for the Nokians and we'll see how they work out. They should show up next Wed/Thurs.

That was a painful $$ purchase though... $179 a tire, ouch :eek:

al

erictking
12-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I just got my WR's (235-60-16) from a company called STS (http:\\www.ststire.com) and paid $129/ea for the rubber and an additional $20 for mount, bal, and disposal. I supposedly got the last 4 from the warehouse though. Not sure when next shipment is coming in. Anyway it seems like a darn good price now that I see some of these other quotes.