PDA

View Full Version : 01 XC70 trans stuck in 4WD

dachies
12-04-2005, 08:47 AM
2001 XC70 60k miles. All normal maintenance on time and by dealer.

I know, this is not a 4wd car. I am not a neophite. However, recently my MPG dropped 4 MPGs, when I drive at 25 and under the car hops as if a wheel is on lopsided. From a complete stop with the steering turned all the way to the stops, the front tires jump the same way a 4WD truck does when you put it in locked out 4WD as the tires attempt to spin at the same speed.

Some times it fixes itself, and you can here a very loud clank/clunk in the transmission.

Dealer is not sure, thinks it might be the bevel gear.

Has anyone any experience in this?

Thanks

ashpee
12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey,

some of the troubles you describe, I have also experienced on my '01 car. It bothers me most on these horrible bumps they have created in the urban roads to reduce trafic speeds. When driving over one of these, it seems like you get a second push in the back the moment the rear axle goes over the top. Dificult to explain the feeling. On the other hand I've had the impression that while accelerating hardly from out of a bend, the 4wd does not come in. The front wheels keep spinning and I can't feel any activity of the rear axle. These noises you mention, I've had them approx. 10 times now over 20000km, mostly while decelerating.

I mentioned my worries at the workshop, but they just jacked up the car, so that the four wheels were of the ground. Then they turned front wheels and you saw the rear wheels turning simultaneously, so they told me there's no problem with VC or other transmission components. This seems such a weak testing procedure. I don't trust it entirely, but don't know what could be a better procedure to be sure everything is normal. I know the early XC's with VC were not perfect (otherwise, why would they switch to Haldex? :rolleyes: )

Anyone? :confused:

Greetz, Hans

Sasquatch
12-13-2005, 02:34 PM
... I know the early XC's with VC were not perfect (otherwise, why would they switch to Haldex? :rolleyes: )

Cost savings?

al_roethlisberger
12-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Cost savings?

...new, better technology?

Honda did the same in around 2004-ish with the CRV, moving from a VC solution to a computer controlled clutch solution.

al

skibo
12-14-2005, 03:13 PM
yeah, compared to a passive viscous coupling, this Haldex gizmo looks to be significantly more expensive (based upon the cut-aways at the Haldex website).

John@CdnRockies
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
ashpee, at a Volvo-sponsored meet in Whistler Canada last February, the Volvo representatives did something similar to your garage experience.

They suspended the car above two large holes (one below the passenger front tire, the other below the driver rear tire). With just 2 wheels on the ground, we could see a minute rotation when both wheels suspended in thin air: spun, locked, and then turned in direct relation to the ones on the ground. Seemed to prove that the Haldex was working to control wheel slippage even when suspended.

John

elmacho0326
12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
I just bought a 2001 V70 XC as well and it seems whenever it seems like it is stuck in 4WD all the time as well...tranny drops hards when shifting down pretty much jumps and from a standstill, the car will not move at all. Anyone else have information on whey they do this?? Is this a problem with the tranny or what?

ashpee
12-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi,

john@, what I can tell from your story, these peopleused engine power to make the transmission do its work. In my case the technician had jacked the car up completely, and then turned the wheels, so all diffs and other (VC) connections made all wheels turn simultaneously. You can compare this with jacking up the front axle only and turning one wheel, the other will turn in the other direction.

Thanks for giving a possible procedure for testing, I've already started digging 2 holes in the driveway (just kidding). But this is the direction I will have to start thinking to be sure everything works well.

But aniway, I think, according to the experiences of other drivers, it will be a matter of getting over it, and enjoying the many good aspects of the car and its setup. (What's a little clunk here and a small noise there anihow in a man's life? :o )

BTW: Can't imagine Haldex is cheaper, have you looked at it closely??? And XC most certainly didn't get cheaper through the MY's. [nonono]

Good night to y'all, Hans

ber725
12-31-2005, 07:59 PM
My dealer says it is the Bevel Gear in the front Differential that is failing and needs to be replaced. This is a $2700.00 job. I think I will live with it for a while and see if it blows up. NOt sure how much worse it can get than $2700.00

ashpee
01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
2700??? brrrr...