PDA

View Full Version : Brand newbie needs your help: Two Qs

lan325
12-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Very likely to purchase a 2006 Volvo XC70 with the 4C chassis for a variety of practical reasons, primarily the built in booster seat, 3rd row seat and safety. We have 3 little ones, so I haul very precious cargo.

I am used to the drive and handling of Audis and the BMW 3 series: really great blend of handling and comfort that are FUN to drive (sorry if that sounds snobby . . . don't mean to). My questions:

1. Any more info on whether or not the 4c chassis will improve the handling and steering of the XC70 (which feels "mushy" to me)?

2. How about a more road-biased, all-seaon tire on the car to improve handling/steering? I will not be taking the car off road.

Tire Rack recommended the Yokohama Avid V4 even though it is a 235/60 16 tire. My Volvo dealer said they would put these tires on for me but were unsure of the impact on the AWD system. Another reputable person (from a local tire store) thought that the Nokia Wrs and ConitPremier Contacts were not necessarily an improvement over the STRs. Can't seem to find an alternative 215 95 16 tire that will truly tighten up the handling and steering.

Please, please help this mommy who is also a motorhead. Thanks and hope to be speaking with you on this board!

TrueBlue
12-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Here's a view from across the Pond - so you can treat it with as much disdain as you wish.

You'll get the scorpians with the car, so you'll not lose much if you you run them for a while, unless of course you're going to sell them on (eBay as new etc). After a period you can determine whether these are for you or not.

It's not so much the actual tyre but more the profile. XC70's run on 65%'s that is to say a SUV / light truck type. Accordingly you're not going to get the sort of motorhead performance that you would get from a 50 or 45% tyre that are ftted to a V70R (for example).

I personally, don't understand why folks buy an XC70 - which is really a general haul it anywhere type of vehicle (nearly an SUV without all that that tag now implies) and then hanker after something more sporty like a V70R or T-5.

I'm getting older and hopefully wiser and have reluctantly come to the conclusion that one size doesn't fit all. I drive a standard XC70 because
it hauls all my junk
in comfort
over potholed roads
and tows

In the UK - with a higher general speed limit than the US I can't use the performance that I could get from a T5 or R, that is without losing my license (citations come with a sting).

So the XC give me a great car with a bit of oomph.

I have tried the 4C and IMHO 4C on that car doesn't buy much that is usable because of the tyre geometry.

If you wan't the welly don't buy an XC70 and tweak it.
Buy an XC70R
Or a T5

All three cars are great, BUT each in it's own environment.

Never mind I'm but a poor aged Limey. Bother it I'm still right....

al_roethlisberger
12-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Since you plan to never take the XC70 "off road" and seem quite focused on the "driving experience"... have you considered the V70 R AWD?

Unless it is just an issue styling preference, it really sounds like the V70 R might fit your requirements better *shrug*

Check out this V70 model overview:

http://www.automotive.com/2006/101/volvo/v70/r-wagon/1190/reviews/

Al

lan325
12-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your quick responses. My reason for pursuing the XC70 is primarily because of the AWD: I also appreciate the middle rear seat that is now a part of the Convenience package - - comfy for the kid sitting in the middle. Have driven the V70R (great ride) but don't want a car with so little ground clearence and certainly don't want those low profile tires. My interest isn't in speed, it's in handling: that fun to drive element. Plus I know several people with V70Rs who have had alot of problems

If the V70 2.5T still came in AWD, that would be my car. Thought that the 4C chassis and road-biased tires would make the XC70 the perfect car for me. Can't blame me for trying, right?

Having trouble finding a great handling car that can accomodate three car seats.

Jack
12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
You might look around for a dealer willing to let you have a 24-hour test drive. It won't tell you if mods would make you happier, but would give you a better feel for the personality of the car.

My sales guy let me take his for a day and it convinced me to give up my 9-5.

The third row seat requirement really limits one's options. I'll take my XC over my wife's Highlander or a minivan any day!

pico de luuks
12-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Aftermarket sway bars (IPD) are another option to reduce the 'mushy' feel. I don't speak from 1st hand experience, but have heard enough positive comments to consider them myself. ;)

Tire wise; the michelin pilot sport A/S 225/60 is a perfect fit (same overal diameter) that should improve handling, but I believe there were some mixed reviews (here or on swedespeed, not sure).

Hope this helps.

littlewaywelt
12-03-2005, 02:16 PM
I agree with others. The XC70 is not a "driver's car." For most stuff it does fine, but if you truly love to drive the twisties you will likely be disappointed even with better tires. I

If you want performance get a V70R with the 6spd. voooom.

Willy
12-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi,
If handling, steering and the like is a major concern, I feel you should disregard all-season tires. They are like swiss knives (able to do everything, not the best for anything).
Willy

v70+xc70
12-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Anyone put V70R wheels on the XC70? Do you get an imbalence between the suspension and the tires due to soft shocks?

littlewaywelt
12-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Anyone put V70R wheels on the XC70? Do you get an imbalence between the suspension and the tires due to soft shocks?

I can't imagine doing that if only for the fact that you'd be replacing the z-rated summer tires every 20k miles or less with only a marginal gain in handling.

The tire wear issue is a major reason we didn't get an R the second time around.