PDA

View Full Version : "Component" Exhaust parts

cc0514
11-28-2005, 10:28 AM
The exhause pipe that runs form the muffler back to the tailpipe exhaust dicharge has two "u" shaped brackets, one front - one rear, that support the exhaust pipe. The rear bracket broke so now the pipe hangs by 1-2 inches and rattles. I brought it into the dealership for repair. I thought they could just remount the bracket, a $100 -$150 fix, but I was told the bracket is a "component" part which means the only way to fix it is to replace the muffler, exhause pipe and brackets.

It looks like the bracket is welded onto the pipe rather than clamped to it. therefor to fix the bracket everything needs replacing.

This seems like poor engineering which I thought its engineering makes Volvo exceptional. This also seems wasteful as the muffler and pipes are in good shape.

What are my options?

Art
11-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Welcome cc0514.

Depending on where the bracket is broken, couldn’t you just bring it to a regular muffler shop and have them weld it back into place?

Vwvolvo
12-01-2005, 03:55 PM
I saw one mechanic last summer doing a modification to a muffler that had that bracket broken. he simply made one out of piece of metal that looked like a big nail. He bent it to have it match approximately the shape of the broken hook. He then attached that '' new hook '' to the muffler pipe with a screw type clamp that we use for hoses ( dorry don't know the exact english word for the clamp) and then put the other end of that ''new hook'' through the rubber piece on the frame. Art is right. You could possibly bring it to a muufler shop to weld but this would weaken the muffler. ( depending on the guys welding skills)

VOILA !

It took him 20-30 minutes and he made a great job. Some would do it in 10 minutes.

Luc

Montreal, Canada