PDA

View Full Version : Works for May 2001 XC70 with 60k on it

gonesail
11-27-2005, 01:24 AM
hi there,

my first official post to this group. i own May 2001 XC70. after some major failures: gearshift (complete failure and replacement) and cooling system failure (replaced radiatior, and quite a long list of works done to engine head gasket and related engine parts) my service provider is listing following works pending on my car:

Job Description, Part cost, work involved
Replace Front Lower Arm Bushes, 730.00, 4 man hours
Replace Turbo O Ring, 8.00, 1 man hour
Replace Torque Arm Bush, 295.00, 1 man hour
Replace Exhaust Cam Seal, 110.00, 3 man hours
Replace Intake Cam Seal, 65.00, 1 man hour
Need to Clean ETM, 2 man hours

do they sound to you as something to be expected from VOLVO XC70 of this age and distance covered?

thank you for your help

gonesail

AWD*V70XC
11-27-2005, 03:18 AM
Those jobs do not sound unreasonable for a car of that age but with only 60K on it, it does sound like a lot of work.

WRT the cleaning of the ETM , unless you are experiencing problems with it, I would advise you to stop them from cleaning it, because you can expect a total failure within a few miles and then hold off to see if any free replacements are due your way, similar to what has happened in the USA.

Do you know another mechanic that could verify that work? Armed with the info you have any decent mechanic should be able to tell if any of that work is really needed, (he need not be a Volvo mechanic either), it is hard for anyone to advise you over the net as wheels have to be shaken to see if they require seeing to.

BTW, welcome to the site, our first UAE member I believe :D

RedXC
11-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Lower control bushes shouldnt go out that soon even with 60k

gonesail
11-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Those jobs do not sound unreasonable for a car of that age but with only 60K on it, it does sound like a lot of work.

WRT the cleaning of the ETM , unless you are experiencing problems with it, I would advise you to stop them from cleaning it, because you can expect a total failure within a few miles and then hold off to see if any free replacements are due your way, similar to what has happened in the USA.

Do you know another mechanic that could verify that work? Armed with the info you have any decent mechanic should be able to tell if any of that work is really needed, (he need not be a Volvo mechanic either), it is hard for anyone to advise you over the net as wheels have to be shaken to see if they require seeing to.

BTW, welcome to the site, our first UAE member I believe :D
thank you for the help and welcome note. yes, i love my car but not
the way they treat it here. would you be so kind to answer me some
additional guestion:

a) whay is it so dangerous to clean ETM even in authorise VOLVO
workshop? what type of failure i can expect afte this,

b) how experienced has to be other mechanic to confirm works. does he
need to be VOLVO certified, or those works can be veryfied by an
independent person,

c) what does ETM stands for

thanks for your help

gonesail

gonesail
11-27-2005, 10:10 PM
thank you for your answer. what does lower control bush do and what controls how fast it can go. just to remind you here in dubai temperatures go above 50°C during summer. maybe that is related to how fast they go off.

gonesail

Vwvolvo
11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
My car 2002 XC with 72,000 miles had all that list done so far + new transmission, brake booster, AC, radiator fan, sunroof controller, many seat belts, front shocks, one rear shock, rear sway bar links, battery and now I'm having weird stuff going on on my message display. for your info this car does 95% of it's milleage on the highway !

I treat this car like a baby, synthetic oil every 3,000 miles, original plugs and all filters every spring.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

pauldunlop22
11-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear of all your repairs needed. I wish you good luck. I purchased my 2002 XC late July of this year. It is still under warranty and just turned over 38,000 mi. I imported the car into Canada ..so far no problems!

gonesail
12-01-2005, 11:19 PM
luc,

do you find all these works necessary? it is quite long list and you are paying for all that. what happened to your transmission (gear box)? total failure like mine or something else?

thank you

gonesail

skibo
12-03-2005, 06:06 AM
a) whay is it so dangerous to clean ETM even in authorise VOLVO
workshop? what type of failure i can expect afte this,

gonesail

I think the earlier comment on the ETM (electronic throttle module?) meant that for this model-year, the ETM typically fails well before 100,000 miles, so there is no value in having it cleaned - it will need to be replaced soon anyway.