PDA

View Full Version : ipod adapter compatible with new video ipod?

Phrog
11-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Has anyone tried a video ipod with the Volvo ipod adaptor?
Are there any compatibility issues?

barrysharp
11-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Folks over on the SwedeSpeed forum have indicated there are compatibility issues such as tracks skipping, not always being recognized when ignition turned on and no "Volvo for Life" displayed on screen. At least two people have complained about these same issues - so I believe there are real compatibility issues between the Volvo Apple iPod Adapter and the 5th G iPod

eraas
12-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Folks over on the SwedeSpeed forum have indicated there are compatibility issues such as tracks skipping, not always being recognized when ignition turned on and no "Volvo for Life" displayed on screen. At least two people have complained about these same issues - so I believe there are real compatibility issues between the Volvo Apple iPod Adapter and the 5th G iPod

I have the 5G iPod (with video) and for the most part it's worked fine with the Volvo adaptor kit. That being said, I have noticed very occasional instances of the problems mentioned above. "Volvo for Life" has never been displayed - this is not a big deal. Once in a while I do have a sort of track skipping - it happens when advancing to another playlist. After playing the first fraction of a second of the song, it skips back to the beginning but always proceeds correctly after. All subsequent songs play fine. Once in a very long while the iPod does not play at first - in these instances I've had either to advance to the next playlist or disconnect and reconnect the iPod.

I use the 5G iPod with adaptor in the car all the time, and really don't find it to be a problem. I was at first concerned about being limited to ten playlists with the Volvo kit, but now quite like the system. If I get sick of the nine playlists, I just switch to the tenth (all tracks), put it on "Random" and skip tracks until I find something I feel like hearing. A lot safer than fumbling with the actual iPod controls. Another thing I really like about the Volvo kit, especially with the video iPod, is that I can just keep the iPod in a pretty tough case with just the connector socket exposed. I'm pretty sure that with my old setup, which required more access to the iPod controls with the iPod sitting in the center console, that the screen would see a lot of wear.

I'll have to try an older iPod I have to see if it's better in this respect - I already had an early release of the 5G iPod when I put the adaptor kit in so as far as I knew the issues I've seen have not been specific to the video iPod. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed with an iPod software update. I'll file a bug report with Apple - hopefully others are doing this too (via iTunes feedback).

I have no real regrets about the setup - I barely noticed the problem.

Hope this helps,

e

eraas
12-04-2005, 06:42 AM
You can submit a bug report to Apple if you are having problems with a video iPod and the connectivity kit. The problems may be fixable through an iPod software update (these are issued periodically by Apple). Here is the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

Here is the description of the problem I sent them:

I have a 60GB iPod with video and have been using it with a dealer-installed iPod connectivity kit on a 2003 Volvo XC70. This is the kit that allows the iPod to appear as a multi-CD changer in the factory-installed head unit of the car. For the most part this combination works fine, but there have been a few problems/issues:

1) Once in a while I encounter a sort of track skipping - it happens when advancing to another playlist. After playing the first fraction of a second of the song, it skips back to the beginning but always proceeds correctly after one to three "skips". All subsequent songs play fine.

2) Once in a very long while the iPod does not play after connecting it and turning on the stereo - in these instances I've had either to advance to the next playlist or, in some cases, disconnect and reconnect the iPod.

3) The "Volvo for Life" graphic that was displayed on older iPods has never been displayed on the video iPod - this is not a big deal, but thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise the connectivity kit has been great and allows a much safer control and better sound quality from the iPod. Since there are probably many users of these connectivity kits who will want to upgrade to the current iPod, I hope that fixes to these issues that can be applied as an iPod software update will be a priority.

gary
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
I had the Volvo iPod adapter factory installed in my 2007 XC70 and have been pleased with it, for the most part. Apple and Volvo still seem to have some compatibility issues for seamless operations though. While the sound quality is superb, a little annoyance with mine is that often when I turn off the head unit (HU-850) and then turn it back on a short while later, the iPod isn't recognized and thus no tunes :eek: . I end up having to disconnect and reconnect the iPod to get my tunes back.

I have a 30 GB iPod w/ video and keep the software up to date (currently, per iTunes v7, my iPod is up to date with the latest software (v 1.2.1). I don't use playlists and normally put my iPod into Shuffle mode (for all tracks); in the car this is done by selecting playlist 10 and then selecting the RND (Random) button on the head unit. Disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod causes the unit and iPod to communicate, but I have to select the RND key again to get it into random mode. Not a big deal, but it is one of the little annoyances of the Volvo iPod adapter. All in all though I do like the adapter, but I just wish Apple and Volvo would address some of these compatibility issues and release some fixes. What I haven't tried yet is my 2 GB Nano iPod to see if I have similar issues. If not, perhaps this is just a problem with video capable iPods?!?

Problems aside, I'm still toying with having the adapter installed in our 2003 XC70. We have the 10 CD Changer in that car and installation of the adapter would negate that. The CD changer has been nice but its always such a chore to remember to change out the CD (well...not a chore...just that I'm a procrastinator, so it rarely gets done! :) ). At least with the iPod, that issue seemingly goes away.

Tolendal
05-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I have a new 5 G 30GB video Ipod. The Volvo Ipod adapter is also factory installed in my 2007 XC70. Volvo for life is displayed on the screen and I have no compatibility issues.

Tolendal