PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump Replacement and engine trouble

goldenbear
11-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I have a Volvo 2000 XC with ~75,000 miles on it. It has chronically leaked oil since the day I bought it (used) from a dealer at 40,000 miles. I've brought it in to the dealer 3+ times to have the leak investigated and fixed. Each time, upon return home, it has continued to leak. I opted to have my 60,000 mile service done at a reputable mechanic due to the incompetence at the dealer. When the car was at the independent mechanic, he noted that there was "excessive oil leaking" and he suggested I take it to the dealer to have it checked and to see if the issue was covered under my extended warranty. The dealer claimed a faulty oil pump and "replaced it" under warranty. Our assumption was that they also changed the oil. This was 7000 miles ago.

The car has continued to leak oil (about a quarter size drop on the driveway after driving it). The leak seems to be centered under the passenger side. We have monitored the oil level and oil quality weekly. We took the car to the dealer to have a full service this week. The check engine light had blinked on ~1 week before hand and the car had a slightly rough idle. The dealer has come back to say that the entire engine needs to be replaced due to contaminants in the oil and metal filings in the engine and that the camshaft valve has been completely clogged.

I have three questions:
(1) Can you replace the oil pump and it's gaskets without changing the oil? They claim yes.
(2) What would cause the metal filings and the clogged valve?
(3) Does/would this warrant an engine replacement or are they ripping us off?
(4) Could they have missed a major problem earlier that would have caused the problem?