PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer remote turn on

XCHauler
11-21-2005, 01:55 PM
I am trying to install the Volvo subwoofer kit and need to locate the connection for the remote turn wire for the amp. The wire color from the subwoofer wiring harnes is violet. Is there a wire that can be tapped into in the cargo area, or a connection to the fuse block?[pico]

gibbons
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
The remote turn on is not a 12V signal, it's a processor signal associated with the Car Area Network. So you can't just grab 12V off the day time running light leads or something like that. On the driver's side of the rear cargo area is a major electrical center. The 12V has to be inserted into one of the sockets of one of those major plugs in that center. Sorry, I don't have the pin-out any more. A few people have bought subs lately, maybe someone can supply a scan or something.

Jack
11-21-2005, 06:15 PM
I just installed a sub in my '05. For '05 and later the wire is inserted into a connector on the back of the REM. For '04 and before it is on the large connector in the lower center of the rear fuse block. Let me know your model year and I'll post some more specifics.

Gibbons is correct, the signal for sub power on is actually the connection going low voltage. In fact the sub will power on if you ground the violet wire.

Jack
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Actually XCH I see from your profile you have an '01. The instructions say for chassis numbers up to 95081 the violet wire connects to pin D18. Chassis after that connect to pin D2. Connector D appears from the diagram to be the lower right section, as you view the mating surface, of the large connector that attaches to the bottom center of the fuse block. As you view the mating surface the pins are numbered from 1 on the bottom left through 10 on the bottom right of the connector. 11 is directly above 1 and pin 20 is directly above pin 10. You may see pin numbers in the socket or on the plug. Also look for the a/b/c/d designation as the diagram (to me) isn't perfectly clear which section is d. You will need to open the connector and slide out the plug to insert the pin on the end of the violet wire. To do that insert a screwdriver in the slot in the back of the connector and pry it open enough to slide the plug out.

If you want I can fax or send you a copy of the installation instructions.

XCHauler
11-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Could anyone send me any diagrams that show the connection in the fuse block for this remote lead. Typically this lead on most aftermarket amps is just a pulsed circuit (12V). My local Volvo dealer also insisted that I get the software downloaded (Routine #307521333 or #3075134) for the subwoofer. Is this necessary?

al_roethlisberger
12-05-2005, 08:50 PM
I am interested in understanding the OEM wiring/harness for the factory sub as well.

I have the rear third "jump seat" option on my XC70, so cannot install a factory sub. However, it would be nice to perhaps build a small sub, or mount the subs somewhere such as in the rear hatch as I had on my Suburban.

However, I'd like to know how the stock sub hooks up.

For example, there seems to be a nice big connector midway across the back depression where the spare tire sits. It is a gray connector about 1.5" long. Is this the hookup for the subwoofer? If so, it seems like one could figure out the pin-outs on this connector and use it as the signal source, etc, for an aftermarket setup.

al

Jack
12-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Al,

Sounds like you may be prewired for the sub. My '05 wasn't even though I have the HU-850 and the fuse for the sub was installed at the factory. The harness connects to the d-pillar speakers, ground, and gets +12v and power-on sense from the rear fuse block. If you are not prewired the harness adds wires/pins to existing connectors on the fuse block. Power-on sense actually goes low to turn on. Grounding the lead will activate the sub. VADIS shows a software update for the sub but I didn't seem to need it.

PM me your fax number and I'll send you a copy of the installation instructions for the sub.

Jack

al_roethlisberger
12-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Al,

Sounds like you may be prewired for the sub. My '05 wasn't even though I have the HU-850 and the fuse for the sub was installed at the factory. The harness connects to the d-pillar speakers, ground, and gets +12v and power-on sense from the rear fuse block. If you are not prewired the harness adds wires/pins to existing connectors on the fuse block. Power-on sense actually goes low to turn on. Grounding the lead will activate the sub. VADIS shows a software update for the sub but I didn't seem to need it.

PM me your fax number and I'll send you a copy of the installation instructions for the sub.

Jack

Thanks Jack, PM sent.

I wonder why some vehicles would be prewired for the sub versus others... who knows I guess :rolleyes: I'll check out your instructions and let you know if I was indeed prewired.

I wonder if anyone else has made an aftermarket installation(due to issues like having the rear jump seats) that is located:

- Somewhere within/around the space-saver spare
- Mounted on the liftgate carpeted panel

It would be very interesting to see how others may have approached this and to hear about their lessons learned.

This is a relatively low priority for me, as frankly, I am VERY impressed with the HU-613 sound system. It may not have the low-down umph of my old truck, but it's pretty darned good, and plays plenty loud. Major thumbs-up to Volvo for making the "base" system sound this good.

But I probably would like to add a sub later just to fill in the bottom end(no thumping though please :rolleyes: ) perhaps as a nice Winter/Spring project after the holidays.

Al

XC70Ride
12-06-2005, 10:30 PM
You are probably already aware of this, but Volvo has two different subwoofer kits, one for 2001-04 models, and a new one for 2005-06 models. The difference between them is the wiring harness. I tried to install a subwoofer on my 05' XC70 and could make no sense of the wiring diagram that came with it. Turns out I had the old kit, and the wiring harness would not work.

After that headache, I returned the kit and just had the dealer install it. I am very happy with the sound. My car was not prewired, that would have made the whole thing much easier.

Jack
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
The only real difference between the two harnesses is the connectors on the +12v wires. Having the installation instructions for the '05 is key however since the Rear Electronic Module and it's connections are completely different. I installed the early sub in my '05 using the early harness. Fortunately I had the early and late instructions, the wiring diagrams, and my parts guy had an assortment of Delphi connector pins. The new harness is only about $35. I ordered one but they were backordered. Funny thing is that it came in the same day I made the old harness work with the connector pins.

XC70Ride
12-07-2005, 08:36 PM
The other difference is the new kit is about $100 cheaper.

cgay1
07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the two different connectors? Or can some describe what they look like (number of pins, etc)? Why would anyone order the older style if the newer is cheaper (assuming their car was not pre-wired)?

I am thinking of buying a used subwoofer, and want to make sure I order the correct wiring harness.

Thanks,

-Chris