PDA

View Full Version : Key fob compatibility?

AlexT
11-18-2005, 06:00 AM
I need to buy two extra key fobs for my '01 XC for my daughters to use. I'd rather not pay full freight on these and noticed that they can be had on eBay for fairly cheap. I'll need to take them in and have them programmed, but I could probably save $60 on a pair buying them used.

Question is, does anyone know whether I need to get the same model or type number, or do I just need to get ones that look identical to what I have?

On the back, there is what looks like a serial or model number, then a line that reads ">PBT 30% GF<" and then another line reading "TYPE P2T_APU".

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Alex

littlewaywelt
11-18-2005, 10:32 AM
I need to buy two extra key fobs for my '01 XC for my daughters to use. I'd rather not pay full freight on these and noticed that they can be had on eBay for fairly cheap. I'll need to take them in and have them programmed, but I could probably save $60 on a pair buying them used.

Question is, does anyone know whether I need to get the same model or type number, or do I just need to get ones that look identical to what I have?

On the back, there is what looks like a serial or model number, then a line that reads ">PBT 30% GF<" and then another line reading "TYPE P2T_APU".

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Alex
You'll also need the original packaging which includes serial numbers not on the fobs themselves. Most of the key fobs on ebay will be a waste of money.

j4long
11-19-2005, 02:28 PM
I'd like to know too! I purchased used remote from ebay, but McDonald Volvo in Littleton, Colorado told me I needed to have the original two codes (8 digit + either 12 or 16 digit) that were supplied with the remote...therefore, since the recently purchased remote did not come with the codes, I can't get them programmed (which McDonald said would cost $80 to do). Anybody have any suggesions? Is McDonald Volvo telling the straight skinny??? Doesn't make sense that the remotes can't be programmed without some code (provided by the owner/subsequent owners). You'd think Volvo would have a "master list". HELP! Especially since to purchase remote from Volvo is $190. Thanks, JLL

al_roethlisberger
11-19-2005, 06:26 PM
I have no idea, but it would seem strange to me that they couldn't find the code somehow.... maybe they are stamped/printed somewhere inside the case or on the circuit?

I'd crack one open and have a look. You apparently have nothing to lose by doing so ;)

al

littlewaywelt
11-20-2005, 10:05 AM
I'd like to know too! I purchased used remote from ebay, but McDonald Volvo in Littleton, Colorado told me I needed to have the original two codes (8 digit + either 12 or 16 digit) that were supplied with the remote...therefore, since the recently purchased remote did not come with the codes, I can't get them programmed (which McDonald said would cost $80 to do). Anybody have any suggesions? Is McDonald Volvo telling the straight skinny??? Doesn't make sense that the remotes can't be programmed without some code (provided by the owner/subsequent owners). You'd think Volvo would have a "master list". HELP! Especially since to purchase remote from Volvo is $190. Thanks, JLL
Your dealer is correct. Without that code a set of remotes can't be reporgrammed.

barrysharp
11-20-2005, 10:36 AM
If you need extra key and you're not wanting to pay the premium for the remote operation you can always go the 'manual' route.

XChuck
11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Have you emailed this question to the vendor on Ebay? Ask them if all the codes to programme the remote are included and make sure to ask if you will be given everything you need to programme it for your car. Also check the vendor's feedback and see if other buyers of this left positive and ask them if they will refund if it doesn't work.

But be sure you hold back your feedback until it's up and running with your car. That is your assurance that they will make good on the refund.

surfsailor
11-21-2005, 11:19 AM
If you need extra key and you're not wanting to pay the premium for the remote operation you can always go the 'manual' route.

I wanted to get an extra key for my car and if I remember right the dealer told me it was right around $200.00. I'm still trying to decide if I need an extra key that bad.....

Ducatista
11-23-2005, 04:37 AM
You cannot go manual on the ignition!
The immobilizer will kick in.
You can only open the doors with the key.

So Volvo has it all wrapped up nicely.

This way no one else gets a key for your car, not even you!
Unless of course you've got $200 lying around somewhere.

My case... When I lost my key I had to pay 260euros for a new one!
Thats about $320 so I guess $200 is cheap! :(

cmcfaul
03-29-2006, 10:54 AM
[mad2]
I had my 2005 XC90 in for it's 22,000 mi check up and asked for an extra set of keys. The cost was $470. Are you f-ing kidding me!

The dealer was Fairfax Volvo in VA.

I said no thanks. I am going to see if there is another route as that is ridiculous. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

wgriswold
03-29-2006, 11:45 AM
The key code is on a label glued to the plastic bag the original keys came in. It is now in a file at home. The code probably should be stored in the car in case I desperately need a key while on the road. A fully functional new key would have cost me more than $200. I wanted one to hide on the outside of the car for the inevitable time I locked myself out. Here's what I did. I bought a key that will only unlock the door manually and hid it where I can get to it. That was about $40. I leave the valet key in the glove box and will use it to drive the car if necessary. I know that this strategy makes the car easier to steal but I think that if someone get past the locked doors to the glove box I would rather they did not destroy the ignition and dash in an attempt to start the car. Of course, I could hide the valet key in a more clever place inside the car and I probably should.

MLPVT
03-30-2006, 04:54 AM
[mad2]
I had my 2005 XC90 in for it's 22,000 mi check up and asked for an extra set of keys. The cost was $470. Are you f-ing kidding me!

The dealer was Fairfax Volvo in VA.

I said no thanks. I am going to see if there is another route as that is ridiculous. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

$470 For a spare set of keys? That is more than outrageous, that's highway robbery:mad:. There is nothing about those keys that would justify that cost and that includes time required to reprogram them. I will be getting a quote from my dealership, Al Martin Volvo, in Shelburne Vermont this morning and I will post back when I have the quote.

BG60
03-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Don't waste your money on key FOB's sold on ebay. The first time I called my dealer to find out if they could be programmed without any special codes. Got there and they said sorry you need the 16 digit code that comes on the package when new. Ebay vendor refunded my money.

Same vendor contacted me later and said he had a set of two for $50 with the codes. Turned out they were the wrong codes and got another refund. He tells me that this must be a problem in Canada only as none of his US customers have had this problem? I called 3 or 4 US dealers and they all said the same thing as my local dealer, REMOTES ARE WORTHLESS WITH 16 DIGIT PIN CODE!

I agree that it is frustrating Volvo charges so much for a replacement key and remote ($380 including programming!). I just purchased a spare key without the remote and keep a close watch on the one key and remote that came with my 01 XC70 when I purchased the vehicle on ebay. This is a minor inconvenience compared to the pleasure my wife and I get from driving "our baby" especially in snowy weather! :)

BG60
01 XC70
Barents Blue, beige leather, 3rd row seat & all wheel drive that's amazing!!

JAZ
04-01-2006, 10:28 AM
If you are wanting extra keys and really don't need the key fob, why not get extra valet keys. The valet key for my 04 V70 does everything but lock the glove box. I am sure cutting extra valet keys is a lot cheaper than the entire fob. (Since the valet key starts the car, I wonder if the key really needs a chip to start the car.)

Also, when comparing the valet key, and the key on the fob, the only difference is a triangular shaped slot on one side of the valet key. I would bet that a steady hand with a very small file or rotary power tool would make the valet key into a regular key.

wgriswold
04-01-2006, 01:14 PM
A new valet key would need to be cut and programmed. Still cost way too much.

JAZ
04-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Does a new valet key really need to be programmed? The valet key for my 04 V70 looks like any standard key.

Has anyone purchased a valet key to confirm that it needs to be programmed before it will unlock the doors and start the car? If it has to be programmed, does the valet key have to be in the ignition since there are no control buttons on the valet key, or does the technician have a special tool (computer) to program the new valet key?

As a side note, there was a column in one of the financial websites discussing this very subject of expensive and complicated replacement keys for upmarket cars. Volvo and Lexus were two that were mentioned as being the most costly. I kind of think Ford has the right idea with the keypad on the door, no big fat keyfob needed, just a short memory.

wgriswold
04-02-2006, 02:14 PM
I think that I have a regular key that I know has been cut to open the mechanical locks (doors). It will not start the car without some expensive programming. I am certain that a valet key will be the same except it will not open the glove box. I think that it may be true that all the money spent on antitheft devices by volvo and its customers may exceed the value of the stolen cars. I would prefer an old fashioned key.

wgriswold
04-02-2006, 02:17 PM
It just occurred to me that it may not be obvious that the electronic interaction with the ignition is in the key and not the fob. The key will work without the for and the programming is inside the key itself.

Prepo
04-02-2006, 03:39 PM
It just occurred to me that it may not be obvious that the electronic interaction with the ignition is in the key and not the fob. The key will work without the for and the programming is inside the key itself.

Lets be realistic here. A valet key would be useless if an actual valet could not start the car and then lock the doors. The only difference with the fobbed keys is that it won't open the glove compartment (and possibly the trunk, but I would need to check) and doesn't reset the seat position. There is no electronic gadget embedded in the metal key.

As for leaving the valet key in the glove compartment I don't see the point. If you are locked out, once you have found a ley to open the door you will have a key to start the car without the stored valet key! I can see the usefulness to hiding a valet key under the car. Let me quote a recent experience. I was loading some heavy things into the rear hatch and had to put the regular fob key down onto the carpet. Somehow the fob lock button must have been depressed (and it only takes the slightest pressure) by contact with someting I was loading. This defeated the normal anti-lockout provision: when I closed the rear hatch door (momentarily forgetting my key) the rear door locked with the other doors, unknown to me, already locked. I was in a shopping center 20 miles from a spare key. A call to a Volvo dealer reminded me that he had no means of providing a new key on the spot. I called out a locksmith who was able to open the passenger door by warping the top of the door and inserting a wire noose to hook around the locking button. He said that Volvos are difficult to get into by any form of keying as he would normally have resource to. A key hidden outside would have been useful even if it were a security risk. A better alternative might be to keep the valet key in your wallet.

BTW, the XC does have a provision to deter a thief from using the same entry method as the locksmith. Once he opened the door and I retrieved the key, the alarm that had been activated could only be silenced by locking the door and unlocking it again using the key (in the lock - not by the remote). Rather clever of Volvo.

wgriswold
04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I guess I am not being clear. Not the first time. My key system has two parts. The key which is metal with a plastic top. The key is programmed in order to start the car and I assume the electronics are imbedded in the plastic top. I refer to the fob as the attached plastic part that opens the car remotely and has an alarm and other functions.

You buy a key blank from the dealer without the fob. Next it is cut by the dealer to open the doors. Now you can get into the car but not start it. Next it has to be programmed by the dealer so it can start the car. Now you have a fully functional key and it cost about $200. I know this is true for a my2003. Maybe different for other years. Same for valet key but it will not open the glove box.

I hid the cut but not programmed key on the outside for two reasons. First, if it was lost I was out $40 not $100's. Second, if it was found by a thief they could not start the car unless they also found the hidden valet key inside the car.

Ducatista
04-03-2006, 06:11 AM
And its not as if thieves are in any way deterred from stealing our precious.

So why all the cost and complication?

For exactly the same reason a printer costs 150$ and the ink cartridges once more so.

Thats our modern "growth based economy" for you.

JAZ
04-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Back to the Valet key. How is it powered to send or receive radio signals to the ignition switch? My valet key has no provision for a battery and the black portion of the key isn't large enough for much of an electrical package.

Again, just wondering. It would be nice if a certified Volvo would clue us in as to how the valet key really works.

rucreus
04-03-2006, 10:10 AM
rfid.....

Radio Frequency Identification Chip..

....the 'passive' RFID chip in the key needs no power, and any number of 'readers' can track the key.

The chip is 'read' by the car and enables starting, however the codes can also identify the owner, thus your movement, time, position data can also be compiled....

....big brother is watching.... (only he ain't your brother)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID

wgriswold
04-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I just had a new thought. Happens sometimes, but not often enough. Since I have never had the programming done for the key I don't actually know if the key it programmed to recognize the car or the car is programmed to recognize the key. I always assummed that the key code was stored in the computer on the car and then the key was programmed by the dealer to match it. If that is not true then my new key is forever doomed not to start the car because I did not get a key code with it. Until today I thought it could be programmed at any time with my original key code. I will ask the dealer next time I'm in.

bbbuzzy
04-03-2006, 12:43 PM
(from a previous post,

"Lets be realistic here. A valet key would be useless if an actual valet could not start the car and then lock the doors. The only difference with the fobbed keys is that it won't open the glove compartment (and possibly the trunk, but I would need to check) and doesn't reset the seat position. There is no electronic gadget embedded in the metal key.")

The key does have a chip in it. Many manufacturers use an RFID chip in conjunction with the engine immobilizer system (my Acura and Volvo bith use this technology). Makes going to the hardware store a waste of time. Another "improvement" of questionable value. That's progress folks

cmcfaul
04-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Can someone who really knows explain what's involved in getting an extra set of keys for a 2005 XC 90.

I have one set of keys and FOB (switchbaled version). My extra set is MIA. I want a total of two keys and FOB's

Q. If I order an other key from Volvo does my existing key FOB no longer work? If this is the case then I will need to purchase 2 sets of keys (nearly a grand).

Q. What's involved with getting a new set of keys. I assume

1. The key and FOB need to be purchased
2. The key has to be cut
3. The remote has to be programed or the car to the remote (FOB)
4. The car has to be programed to the chip in the key

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sasquatch
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Has anyone had the ignition ripped out and replaced with a more traditional one? It is probably close to the price of a new set of keys.

Regarding RFID:
Interesting! They’re right. The data is more distributed and more accessible.

RFID Tags Vulnerable To Viruses, Study Says

Three computer science researchers are warning that viruses embedded in
RFID tags are right around the corner.

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/356799/1677018/11951/0/

"Imagine you're one of those idiots that had RFID chips implanted in their arms so that they could access computer equipment, well it seems they may now need to jack in from time to time and make sure they have not picked up a virus. Or here is one better, you know that load of plasma televisions that are in a container headed to the US? Well someone could inject data into them so that the load of 100 plasmas could register as 50. Do you think running Cigarettes is bad wait till crooks can mess with inventory control. Competitor walks into a Walmart and with a hand held device changes the inventory numbers of every item in the store triggering massive over ordering forcing the store into supply issues. Think it can't happen? Well just wait."

roguejet
04-19-2006, 10:35 AM
A new valet key would need to be cut and programmed. Still cost way too much.

Here in San Diego there's a local keyshop (Across from Sports Arena) which cuts keys with the transponders inside, of course that's what we all own. They charge $50 - $60 for the key plus cut, plus code.

There's supposed to be a way to program the key into your ignition with a simple manual procedure. Anyone know anything about that? For Mercedes it's a method you turn the key on-off-on with a functioning key, then put your key into the lock and do a similar sequence.

Dogfur
04-25-2006, 02:32 AM
I walked out of my local dealership after being informed of the cost to get a spare key - I just can't accept an hours labor to 'program' a key...

Any options for a functional spare key that isn't so insulting?

cmcfaul
04-25-2006, 05:29 AM
My dealership quoted me $470 for a spare key with FOB. AND I believe that the esisting FOB then won't work. So to get a spare key with FOB (remote) I have to buy two. Bottom line, close to a freekin grand for a Volvo key.

I would rather have my car stolen then pay a grand for an extra key!

Who's great idea at Volvo was this?

Chris
2004 XC 90

Sasquatch
04-25-2006, 06:36 AM
My dealership quoted me $470 for a spare key with FOB. AND I believe that the esisting FOB then won't work. So to get a spare key with FOB (remote) I have to buy two. Bottom line, close to a freekin grand for a Volvo key.

I would rather have my car stolen then pay a grand for an extra key!

Who's great idea at Volvo was this?

Chris
2004 XC 90
:mad: :rolleyes:

:D :D :D