PDA

View Full Version : When can I use Zaino?

banjo
11-18-2005, 05:35 AM
I pick up my '06 XC90 next week at the FDC. Bought it through Military Car Sales w/ factory delivery option. It will only be 2-3 weeks old when I pick it up. I've read different things about when it is appropriate to wax/zaino/polish for the first time. Some say it's ok to do it right away, others say give the paint 2-3 months to cure. I'd like to get a couple coats of Zaino on asap, but don't want to if the paint isn't ready for it right away.

Appreciate any advice.... great site, by the way!

littlewaywelt
11-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I pick up my '06 XC90 next week at the FDC. Bought it through Military Car Sales w/ factory delivery option. It will only be 2-3 weeks old when I pick it up. I've read different things about when it is appropriate to wax/zaino/polish for the first time. Some say it's ok to do it right away, others say give the paint 2-3 months to cure. I'd like to get a couple coats of Zaino on asap, but don't want to if the paint isn't ready for it right away.

Appreciate any advice.... great site, by the way!
The general rule is 3 months for the paint to completely cure. Getting wax on right away won't make the paint last any longer than waxing it regularly from 3 months on. Getting wax on right away may however be detrimental if it is not fully hardened & cured. So long as you hand wash and wax regularly your car will look showroom several years down the road, especially when compared to a car that isn't regularly waxed.

Botanique
11-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi - I've been using Zaino here in Belgium for years (buy it from Dr. A. Terzic at Viper Lifestyle in Germany) and have had no problems. I've been through three cars with Zaino - the XC90 is the latest. I instruct the dealer to make no prep of the car (they tend to use a cheap quick wax to make the car look good on delivery) other than remove the shipping film. They hate that because it takes the "gee whiz" out of their delivery moment. Only the Volvo dealer failed to follow my instructions so I had to strip their crappy wax off by washing the car first with dish soap (ouch!).

I then get the car home and Z it as soon as possible using Z5 for the first application, then Z2 thereafter with Z6 QD after every wash (with Z7).

I've been told and have also read on the Autopia (COD detailers forum) that the "wait three months for the paint to cure" thing is a myth given the present state of paint and painting technology. I've certainly had no problems and in a diesel crazy country like Belgium would prefer to have my paint protected ASAP than wait.